Suhr SSH+ Alternative ??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Killteox, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Killteox

Killteox SS.org Regular

I've just ordered a Harley Benton Fusion II HSH model with the roasted neck and I'm looking to build a "poor man's" Suhr for a bit of fun, so looking for any suggestions for cheap pickups. I play alot of Intervals, Plini style stuff having tried both a strandberg and a friends Suhr Rasmus I love the sound of the SSH+ and SSV are there any cheaper alternatives that will get me in that ball park ? Ive been looking at Iron Gear and Tonerider.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd just spring for the Suhrs. I'm less enamored with their humbuckers, but their singlecoils really are something special.

3. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

Well he’s not asking about their singlecoils...so:

A used JB and Jazz (or ‘59) from SD, or an AT-1 and Air Classic from Dimarzio are common eBay and Reverb items that will get you in the ballpark. Note that you can always swap or otherwise modify magnets to tweak a ballpark pickup in the direction you want. If you want to go even cheaper, check out GFS, Wilkinson, Entwistle, and other Artec pickups by the product descriptions and resistance specs (compared to Suhr’s).

I didn’t mention output; so pedantic types eager to remind me that resistance isn’t output can suck on a dog’s titties.

4. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Go with the Suhrs. Worth every penny. Look into the Thornbuckers as well. PAF with extra bite.

5. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

Just to be cheeky, I’ll suggest a used Dimarzio EJ set as a cheaper alternative to Thornbuckers.

Thaeon likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm aware of that, but Suhr claims the magnets they use are truer to what Fender used back in the day and are responsible for a lot of their mojo. In the case of the singlecoils, that's certainly possible - SOMETHING is special about those things. They use the same material in their humbuckers, I believe, but my experience there is a lot more limited, just to the 7-V and 7+ set that came in my Custom 7, which were good (very thick) but just not the voice I was looking for.

Either way, if you know you like the SSH+, the Suhrs I HAVE played are distinctive enough that I'd say the easiest way to get that sound is to just buy that pickup.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think the SSH+ is supposed to have that JB flavor, so maybe something in that ballpark. Something with a tighter bass and less mids.

EDIT: The Tonerider Generator or IronGear Dirty Torque look like what you want

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Having tried all of their humbuckers (except for the Thornbucker) in various guitars, I'd say the SSH+ probably sounds closest to the JB, but with a slightly less woolly bottom end. Unfortunately, everything comparable I can think of costs as much or more than the Shurs. Their pricing isn't really insane.

If you want to go really cheap, I believe Guitarfetish makes an Alnico V 16.4K JB clone that goes for around $30. They seem to be wildly inconsistent, though, so you're rolling the dice.

9. ShiftPoint

ShiftPoint SS.org Regular

Don't forget to look at the SD Perpetual Burn. Tweaked JB, might be more of what you're looking for.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think those are going for thr same price as the Suhr pickups.

Like eaeolian said, most alternatives are either BARELY cheaper (maybe $10 less) than the Suhr pickups. You'll be going into budget import pickup territory, which can be inconsistent... Which is my case.

11. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I've got guitars with both the SSH+ and JB, and I like both. The JB seems (to me) to have a bit harsher high end than the SSH+. The SSH+ has an interesting bump in the upper mids that makes it really nice for lead work (although some of that might be due to the thick maple top on the Suhr that it's in). It sits in the mix very nicely. One other that is nice with a bit less output would be the Custom 5. Good luck!