Suhr MS7 limited run

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ramses, Jul 27, 2016.

1. gabsonuro

gabsonuro SS.org Regular

doesn't really relate to this guitar, but the suhr classic antique series is by far the best strat-styled guitar i have ever played, much better than any custom shop fender i have played.

2. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

These two things make no sense whatsoever... :scratch:

3. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

Hey dudes!!!
    Just thought i would offer my 2 cents. That is me playing the guitar in the demo video.

I always liked the older Suhr 7's, but this thing is a different beast entirely. The ergonomics and neck are just out of this world. It balances, plays, resonates, and sounds like a BEAST, just like a good 7 should! I would compare the neck carve to an EBMM; flat-ish without feeling like a yardstick, thin but not flimsy... the kind of neck you could play for hours and never get uncomfortable on. If you've played a Modern Satin, you'll know how surprisingly lightweight they are, especially considering how gargantuan they sound. There's just something about that specific type of African mahogany they're using that is perfect for the ears AND the shoulder.
    I would say without a doubt it's one of the top 3 7 strings i've ever played, totally in the same class as my Aristides. I'm currently trying to figure out how i can add one to my flock!!!!!
    Thanks to all for watching the demo!

4. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

About 5 mins elapsed between me seeing the announcement and contacting Matt's Music for an order. Unfortunately, no lefties.

My standard modern satin suits me so well, I didn't have to think twice about the specs or the price.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

They make perfect sense...

On the set neck if their neck tenon is wider at the base and fits in through the neck pickup route (my KxK DCii-6 is like this) you need a neck pickup route to put it together.

The knob configuration means they're not doing custom CNC programming for a single order.

They both seem pretty straight forward

6. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

so, hypothetically. how would one of these Suhrs compare to something like a USA jackson or a top of the line ibanez (j custom).
    I know they're "totally different beasts" and "suhr does its own thing" and all that pr.
    im talking straight up quality. would this be better built?

7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I've played them all. Generally, I'd say that none is inferior to the others. All are just about the nicest guitars you can get. It comes down to aesthetics like the tops, if you want binding, different inlays, etc. It also comes down to feel and features. Recent Ibanez 7s have very wide necks IMHO. Some may like that. I've not played a Suhr 7, but the Jacksons seem to have a bit narrower neck, for better or worse. Suhr's and Jacksons can be ordered with SS frets and different neck shapes, etc etc. The J-Custom is whatever Ibanez wants to sell you.

So if you have a J-Custom and love it and like its feel and specs, you're giving up nothing compared to a Suhr or Jackson. This has been my experience.

J-Custom fret work, wood selection, and fit and finish are top notch and equal to what you'd get anywhere else.

8. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

pretty cool and my Suhr Carved Top is still the finest and sexiest guitar I own, but I'll never buy a non-fanned 7+ string guitar ever again

no coming back from multiscale

9. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

incoming

10. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Well, maybe if they do one that's not black-out for 2017. Natural or cherry would be great, like the other Satins.

11. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I strongly agree. I have been so impressed with my Suhr it makes me want to sell all my other guitars to buy more. If this is of the same quality, then 2450$ is more than reasonable.

12. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

I'm getting one really soon.. Can't wait tbh.
    However, I didn't like Hot7 pickups on my previous Suhr 7 that much, so I'll be throwing them out first thing after I receive it. They are clear and all but just didn't like the voicing and they were almost too hot for my liking.

13. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

*sees price tag* *goes back to bed*

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Listen, I LIKE Schecter, and have always been impressed by their guitars. IMO, they were the first Korean shop to really get it right, as far back as 03-04 or, and they've only gotten better with time.

But, Suhr is in a whole different ballpark. If you ever get the chance to play one, do so, and try to come in it with an open mind. My Modern 7 is hands down the nicest seven string I've ever played, and I've played and owned some VERY nice sevens over the years (former RG7CST owner, I still own a UV7PWH, a bunch of high end RG7s, and I've had significant playtime on a couple JP7s, a couple other universes, a bunch of tricked out Carvins, a couple Shermans, a couple KXKs, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting). I still feel guilty, three years later, owning something that nice.

The street price on this puts it about a grand more than a RG752 and maybe $500 or so cheaper than what a Universe used to go for, before this year's limited run. Really, that isn't bad.

15. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

16. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

got one. loving it so far. the nut needs to be widened a bit to fit the B and E strings I want so I've been playing with lighter gauges than I normally would. Even so, plays like a dream and the stock pups sound really good. the frets/board are reeeeeeeeeaaaalllly smooth.

17. kabz

kabz SS.org Regular

Yeah, you're also oversimplifying the MSRP vs Sale price as an equivalent to getting a good deal.

Manufacture price could be $1439 lets say (parts/labor) and they mark it up 330% for example.

All of a sudden they can't compete with the consumers who are willing to spend $3300 on a PRS for example, and they obviously want to SELL their guitars.
    So average folks think, "Holy ...., I'm getting a nearly $5,000 guitar for a nearly $2,000 discount - WOW lucky me"

When in fact in many cases the MSRP is an arbitrary number based on a multiple of the manufacture cost.

Now having played a Suhr Modern 7, then trying a Tom Anderson Drop Top right after, I couldn't help but notice the ridiculous playability and feel the Tom Anderson had over the Suhr, which felt a lot more stale, and less alive, despite being a great playing guitar on it's own.
    I'm not sure I was completely sold on the Suhr, when a bolt-on Tom Anderson blew me away with prices being very similar.

If I am paying over $3,000 for a bolt-on, it's probably going to be a Tom Anderson.

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Well, I was comparing the street price of these Moderns at what at the time was expected to be about $2500 to the $3325 street price that I was quoted for the same specs for a custom ordered Modern. Seems like a good deal of you like these specs.

I also prefer Andersons to Suhrs, but both are very nice guitars. I also prefer bolt-ons to set necks or neck throughs, so have no problem spending on a bolt on guitar.

19. kabz

kabz SS.org Regular

Got it. Yeah I am starting to get over the whole "neck thru is the gr8est ever"
    Mentality after owning several set neck guitars and bolt ons and realizing that amazing tone and playabilty on bolt-ons is evident.

Just in terms of construction, I went in dreaming of a Suhr and left the shop dreaming of an Anderson. The guitars seem simple at a glance, but it felt alive in my hands and sounded incredible.
    Only gripe was in a H-S-H set up I kept hitting the middle pickup with my pick.

I still think Suhrs are great but the TA was in a class of its own.

20. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I have two H-S-H Anderson Drop Top 7s (let me know if you want to buy one, lol, because I have toooooo many guitars right now) and they are killer. I don't hit the pickup pickup, but you can order one H-H or just lower the middle pickup out of the way. Tom makes great stuff. Suhr does too, but they do tend to be different. I also think Suhrs tend to be more "sterile" than Andersons, though I don't know why that would be.