Suhr Modern guitars and playing position

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by th365thli, Jan 21, 2021.

1. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

I own a Suhr Modern 7.

It's comfortable.

2. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I've not played a Suhr. But as far as majesty's go. Just not a guitar I vibed with at all. Which does kind of suck because tonally the new ones sound amazing with the new dreamcatcher/rainmaker set. But the guitars for me just didn't feel good in my hand. On the flip side I find the jp15's to feel amazing. I just wish they had the dreamcacther/rainmaker set in them from the factory. I would say though that the Suhr would be the better choice. While I haven't gotten to play one I have NEVER seen a bad thing said about their quality. Worst thing is "it just wasn't for me".

3. th365thli

th365thli SS.org Regular

Thank guys for the helpful responses! This certainly eliminates any doubts about getting a Suhr Modern....well....besides the price lol

4. Davsco872

Davsco872 Contributor

I own and have owned several Suhr’s, modern, standards and classics. They are worth EVERY penny. I assure you, you will not be disappointed and will measure every other guitar against it.

5. bronxct1

bronxct1 SS.org Regular

I have an older majesty from 2015 with a satin finish as well as a new 7 string with the gloss finish and I don't notice a difference between the two of them. I was really concerned about the gloss when I ordered the new one but after playing it for a couple of weeks I haven't noticed any issues at all.

6. th365thli

th365thli SS.org Regular

So...........after much back and forth I decided not to get a Suhr.

Yes yes, I know they are very nice guitars and are a level above everything else, and I'm sure the Suhr advocates here disagree with my choice.

But I've decided that in the end I couldn't justify 3k+ for ONE guitar. I know that's really not that expensive for a custom quality guitar, and I know that price cutoff seems arbitrary, but at the end of the day I couldn't justify the margins for myself. I guess in general I probably will never get a custom guitar in the future unless I shit out money. I know all the advantages of doing one, they just don't outweigh the cost for me.

So instead I used that money to buy TWO guitars. I scored an Ibanez Prestige RGR752AHBF off ebay for $950+tax and I got very lucky because it is flawless. Not a single ding or scratch. All I had to do was polish the frets and oil the fretboard and it might as well be new. It's my first 7 string, I've wanted on for a while.
    My second guitar is that MIJ Charvel I posted a question about. I ordered from Sweetwater and they have always had a great return policy for me, so if that guitar has issues I should be able to return it no issues. However, I'm hoping that being MIJ will justify it's price. I did some research and supposedly the MIJ Charvels have much better neck/fretwork. That guitar arrives in April so we shall see.

Are either of these guitars as good as a Suhr? No. Will these two guitars encourage me to play more? YES. I play in different tunings all the time and I much prefer guitars locked into one tuning (with floating bridges this a must anyway). With the Prestige I'll be able to practice songs I couldn't before, and the MJ Charvel will be tuned E standard. At the end of the day, I purchase guitars to encourage me to play, and going this route does exactly this for me while keeping quality high (For example, buying 5 $600 dollar guitars doesn't really do anything for me XD)

groverj3 and Masoo2 like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

nice. I'm all about that quantity right now too.

8. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Nice.

I don't know how many people have actually had their hands on the new MJ Charvels. I am intrigued.

Honestly, as long as the build quality is good, Charvels and Suhrs have a similar feel. To me anyway. Suhrs also have a compound radius fretboard, though slightly less flat.

9. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on one of those MJ Charvels as well!

10. th365thli

th365thli SS.org Regular

It's supposed to arrive in April! I'll for sure be doing a thread on it.

In the meantime, it's very hard not to grab one of those Ibanez Prestige AZs, but between the 7 string and the MJ Charvel my funds are dry QQ

11. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

I caved in and ordered the MJ Charvel as well, status right now is April 20.

th365thli likes this.
  12. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I think you made the right choice. Honestly the Suhrs are amazing, I love mine, but if it was a choice between owning two really good guitars I could use for different purposes and that one, I would go for the two guitars.