Suggestions on power amps?

BeyondAndromeda69

Open your mind
Reaction score
So I'm new to rack gear entirely and am getting a Pod HD500X. What would be a suitable(and somewhat affordable) rack mount power amp? I currently have a Bogera 412H-BK cab and eventually want to purchase an Orange cab.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I needed something reasonably priced too and found the mesa 50/50 to be perfect. I went through a velocity 100 and 300 before succumbing to the need to have tube power. Add in a good cabinet and the pod hd sounds amazing using the preamp models.

I think i paid about 350 for my 50/50 from guitar center used. Its old but has been a tank...gigged regularly, only issue has been the fuse glass cracked playing in 30 degree whether. Replaced it and its good as new.

BeyondAndromeda69

Open your mind
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference from digital and solid state with the pod? I figured a rack mounted power supply would be the way to go.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Just about every tube power amp is rack-mounted. Mesa, VHT/Fryette, Carvin, etc. all make rack mounted tube power amps.

If you want a good tube power amp on a budget, the Carvin TS100 can be found used for around $450. The Rocktron Velocity 300 is good too, and is normally around $300 used.

Solid state vs tube power is up to taste, just like tube vs solid state amps. The general consensus is that tube will sound better, especially if you already have a solid state preamp like the POD, but a solid state power amp like the Rocktron will be a good value, still solid, and still deliver a decent sound.

pel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 for the Carvin TS100. 2U and it can be bridge into 100w mono if you have only one cab.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference from digital and solid state with the pod? I figured a rack mounted power supply would be the way to go.

Yup basically what War Against said. I noticed i difference. Not huge at first but after a few band level sessions and gigs it was more evident. You can hear and feel that bit of compression. I was able to back off my preamp gain and let the power tubes add their bit.

For me my GAS was not gonna satisfied until I at least tried tubes with the POD, but once i did I didnt want to go back. Havent changed my rig since aside from my cabs.

Thanatopsis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's your budget? That and whether you want tube or solid state are big deciding factors. I love my Peavey Classic 60/60 with Rockmaster preamp. Got it for $150 + $40 shipping on eBay.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I sold a Mesa Strategy 500 due to the weight (and really needing the cash) years ago. It sounded wonderful, but was so heavy.

For a short while, I used a Mosvalve 80 watt per side solid state power amp to fill the gap. It did NOT fill the gap. The sound was dull in comparison. The lack of headroom was apparent. The cooling fan was annoyingly loud.

Eventually I was able to get my hands on a Mesa/Boogie 2:Ninety and really wouldn't use anything else I have tried in its place.