Suggestions for artists similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Stevie was basically Albert King and Buddy Guy with a fatter tone and sped up a notch. In the 90's and into the early 2000's, there were tons of SRV clones - Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Chris Duarte, Monster Mike Welch, Gary Clark Jr., Samantha Fish. Most of those kind of found their own voice since then and sound a bit different, but maybe if you start with the older stuff, the newer stuff will take you someplace you might appreciate - or maybe not.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stevie was basically Albert King and Buddy Guy with a fatter tone and sped up a notch.

Thank you. It proves I'm not the only person that doesn't hear as much Jimi in his playing as people say.

Also...I hate to be that guy, but have you checked out the good Clapton? Cream made me realize (even though that's totally Dime in the picture)
5d61598ef6707db651aa63c5a8cd42b0.png

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Being as someone else brought up Clapton, I'd def suggest his album with John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (The Beano album), its hyped beyond ridiculousness but don't let that put you off, it is a seriously good album, and any of the Cream albums too if you can just get passed all their hype, they are more than just Sunshine of your love.

Personally for me the Bluesbreakers follow up after Clapton, Hard Road with Peter Green, John McVie & Aynsley Dunbar is much better.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you. It proves I'm not the only person that doesn't hear as much Jimi in his playing as people say.

Also...I hate to be that guy, but have you checked out the good Clapton? Cream made me realize (even though that's totally Dime in the picture)
View attachment 112983
I have checked out Clapton a little bit, but mostly the solo stuff like Cocaine.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of Kingfish, I’m surprised at his recent endorsement. I though for sure Gibson would have endorsed him first.

Probably a people/money thing, especially the "people" part.

Gibson and Fender, and really most of the mainstream brands you can buy at Sweetwater, all have the name recognition, money, and distribution, but you have to appreciate a good artist relations team.

When John Mayer dropped Fender, very publicly in the guitar sphere, and pretty much said it was a people problem they got the hint and started headhunting guys like Mike Taft.

Remember when artists were jumping ship to FMIC? It wasn't because they decided Jacksons were super cool one day, or because they started making better guitars, it's because they were chasing the AR guys that were good folks.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have checked out Clapton a little bit, but mostly the solo stuff like Cocaine.
I’ve never cared for most of his solo material, but the Beano album and Cream are worth giving a listen. Maybe Derek and the Dominoes, too; its a different vibe, but also features Duane Allman who is always worth listening to.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve never cared for most of his solo material, but the Beano album and Cream are worth giving a listen. Maybe Derek and the Dominoes, too; its a different vibe, but also features Duane Allman who is always worth listening to.
Duane is a great guitarist. Thanks for the suggestions.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Listening to Johnny Winter and boy does Gene Simmons, early on, sound like him vocally. Probably check out Roy Buchanan later today as well.

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
Coming back to this thread after I've dived into some guys discographies, like Rory Gallagher. I think Scott Henderson, based on this video, is very jazz blues. Not bad. I may have to add him to the list, along with Walter Trout.
He started out being a more straight forward fusion player, but progressively more blues forward. So jump around his works and find something that suits your tastes.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
If you haven't found too many SRV likes, maybe you can try other artists to cling on to ... and that would be Derek Trucks.