Suggest A Speaker

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ridner, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

Sup Folks!? I am looking at replacing the speakers in my Vader cab - ether that or getting a 2nd cab - depending on price. The cab isn't playing too well with my new Orange TH30. I really like the head but the sound isn't 100% there and I believe it is the speakers. Vaders come with Emimence Legends. I went to GC and tested out a few of the cabs they had to offer. I played on some Celestion V30s, an EVH cab - which essentially has V30s and a Marshall cab loaded w/ Celestion G12T-75s. They really didn't have many cabs to try out but from what I played, I liked the G12T-75s the best. They were not exactly what I was looking for but sounded better than the V30s. I really dug the Celestion Hot 100 I dropped in my 6505 112 combo, so I am wondering if that would work in this application as well? I have emailed Avatar, to see what they suggest. They pointed me to the Hot 100 and nailed exactly what I was after, so hopefully they can do so again. Just seeing what you guys think as well. I typically play Doom/Stoner Metal and want some low end thump, but want to maintain a smooth/crisp sound. Whatcha think?!

2. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Those Vader speakers are up among my favorites. They are also glued into the cabs with some black tar stuff. Nearly impossible to get out lol. Id just get another cab. Might as well grab an avatar.

3. ridner

I had heard that about how the speakers are installed. This is the 1st amp I have played through this cab that I wasn't 100% into the sound on. Maybe it is the head, I dunno. Trying to weigh my options. Plus, I have only had the head for a few days, so I am still dialing it in.

4. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

What kinda stuff are you playing through it?

FWIW, I have yet to play/hear an Orange amp that I liked.

5. Haunted Cereal

Haunted Cereal I am Sammy Jankis

Dude... don't ruin a Vader. That company doesn't even exist anymore. Get an Avatar with the speakers you want that'll jive better with that head. The G-12T's would be neat, V30's are always tasty, I played the lower watt Rocker head through an EVH cab and thought those speakers weren't bad with it.

6. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

If you played a 5150 III cab it actually had Greenbacks in it, different from V30s.

7. ridner

playing doom/stoner for the most part but also play thrash and death. I have played many heads through this cab and have never had a problem. It is very possible the head is the issue but I am trying to avoid ditching an amp I just got.

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Yeah, for the stoner/doom stuff, I think you would be best off grabbing an avatar with GBs. And yes, the EVH cabs have GBs, not V30s.

9. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

What V30 cabs did u play thru? I find that as much I love V30's, they only sound good in some cabs. Specifically oversized cabs like Orange and Mesa. The extra air space and resonance makes the V30's strong mids sound a little more focused and smoother

10. ridner

I tried the TH30 through the matching Orange 2x12 - which is loaded w/ V30s

11. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

B&C 12PE32

12. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

Ah gotcha. Yeah V30's aren't for everyone for sure. For metal they are awesome because of the upfront crunch they have and how they enhance the attack. But for stoner/doomy kinda stuff something rounder but still warm may be better. Maybe the G12M Greenbacks? They are a little ballsier in the low mids than the G12H Greenbacks in the EVH 5150 III cabs

13. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

I found that the Eminence clone of the V30, the Governor, has a lot of the qualities of the V30, but without that big midrange spike. In words, it's got the same flavor, but without such a spicy kick.

For something a bit more even across the freq range, I've found the Eminence Wizards to be pretty awesome. They have a lot of the low end and presence that the Swamp Thang's have, but aren't completely neutered in the mids, as the Swamp Thang's are.

So, I'm running my super-bright amp (Mesa Stiletto) into an Avatar 2x12 with the Wizards, and getting a GREAT sound. I still have my V30'd cabs, though, for my other heads (TriAxis rack, DC-10, and Laney GH50L).

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

If you liked the t75s you may like the eminence man o wars if they are still in production.

15. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

Indeed they are. Loud as sh*t too!