Suggest a neck profile for my stupid long fingers?

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm posting this here because there isn't a general guitar forum and I mainly play eight strings. Anyways,

I've been playing guitar for around 12 years now and still haven't found a neck profile that is comfortable. My fingers are ridiculously long so if the neck is too thin, then I feel like there's nothing to grab onto, but if it's too thick then it just feels awkward to play the higher strings. My favorite profile so far is on the Carvin neck, as it's right in between the thin and thick. I was thinking of switching to something like a strandberg profile. Would that be more comfortable you think? I'm in the US and I have no idea where to try one out. What do you guys think?

boxsmiley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
this seems like a troll post. :lol:

ummm guys can you help me out? i'm just too muscle bound, rich, and good looking? it's suuuuch a burden.

if serious, I hope someone has good advice for you. my hands are pretty big and i wish they were bigger and fingers thinner for guitar purposes.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd try a luthier and have him add some depth/shave some off of my favorite guitar, man. Make sure he does good work and keeps measurements for you, and that way you can compare online when next you go to buy a guitar, or have it handy when you want to custom order.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
this seems like a troll post. :lol:

ummm guys can you help me out? i'm just too muscle bound, rich, and good looking? it's suuuuch a burden.

if serious, I hope someone has good advice for you. my hands are pretty big and i wish they were bigger and fingers thinner for guitar purposes.

:lol: I didn't know having long fingers were exactly a good thing when playing guitar. Even on an eight string my fingers go off the side of the damn neck, and I get scrunched up pretty quickly if I get anywhere near the e string. I feel like a lobster. Normal hands are where it's at.

If it were me, I'd try a luthier and have him add some depth/shave some off of my favorite guitar, man. Make sure he does good work and keeps measurements for you, and that way you can compare online when next you go to buy a guitar, or have it handy when you want to custom order.

Ooo I haven't thought of that... I'll probably do this, but more suggestions would be awesome.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Just guessing here but I'd think something with good shoulders would be best.
Like what? I have no idea.
I just know that with my small hands anything with much shoulder absolutely sucks, so maybe the reverse logic would make it easier for you.
Neck depth differences don't bother me all that much as long as the shoulders are well shaved.

MaxAidingAres

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can look for a Schecter C8 as their necks are typically fatter or you can go carvin and get the thicker neck option.

Jzbass25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd basically try anything Vai or PG use if you haven't.

edit: just realized you said you main 8 string, maybe try things tosin has played, his hands looked pretty big when I met him years ago.

Dana

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the lynch guitars have a baseball bat neck profile with 1 3/4 width at the nut and an r3 nut. so, wide and relatively fat neck and narrow string spacing. its quite nice actually.

Omura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're looking at going Custom anyway, see if you get the luthier to build your neck with wider string spacing at the nut (longer nut width) that way the neck will feel wider, and so your fingers shouldn't fall off as badly, and you won't have to sacrifice a nice neck profile to do so

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you tried a Jackson? They have a hybrid profile, it's more round toward the nut, and flat at the joint.

Stuck_in_a_dream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, are you sure your hands are the problem? Could it be your technique?

Reason I say this is...well,
1. I highly doubt you have bigger hands than Allan Holdsworth, see pic :D, and he played Carvin, Steinbergers, Strats. He currently plays his Carvin sig that has more of a round C prfile iirc. So, maybe you should try a Schecter Hellraiser (as suggested) as I think they do have very similar profiles to Carvins, and see if you like it.
Allan.jpg

2. Tony Macalpine (plays 7&8 strings), Steve Vai & Paul Gilbert all have, big hands with tall and thin fingers, and all of them chose to play Ibanez RG guitars, so I highly doubt they don't like that kind of thin profile.

If it were me, I'd check with a guitar instructor and make sure your technique is fine, if you still don't like thin profiles, Carvin, Schecter necks could be good options.

Best.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Well, are you sure your hands are the problem? Could it be your technique?

I don't know you could be right. I'm self taught and I really just gripped the guitar based on what I saw with other guitarists. I can play up to my standards but it's never really felt natural if you get what I mean. I can remember back to when my friend got a Schecter Hellraiser c8 back when it was a 26.5" and the neck was actually very comfortable now that I think back, which their website says is called Thin 'C'. Maybe it's time to try a newer Hellraiser or a Blackjack :D . Thanks for all you guy's help!

Edit: Hmm, this got me thinking about a multi scale for some reason. Would this help in feeling more comfortable in any way?

Latest posts