Stupid Things You Used to Believe About Music/Guitars

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by groverj3, Dec 29, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

First off Metallica had one of the greatest bassists of all time. You could definitely hear his playing. Aside from AJFA, you can definitely hear the bass in all the other albums.

You don't use "stacked samples" to compete with loud guitars. The entire purpose of mixing is to level things out. When everything is in it's own frequency range and leveled properly there is no "keeping up". A huge sound is about giving things space in a mix, not volume. None of what you're saying makes sense. Do you even record at all?

XPT707FX and budda like this.
  2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I guess it depends, lol. Seems most people just want mids in the guitars and uses the bass as some sort of supplement and not as its own instrument.

Nice to hear at least somebody mics an actual bass amp.

Maybe you have better hearing than me, but I certainly can't hear much of the bass on the early records. Listening to the isolated bass tracks is pretty interesting, some stuff there I had no clue about.

And you totally use drum samples to compete with guitars. It makes the drums poke through and be heard.

3. brett8388

brett8388 SS.org Regular

I used to believe that the more guitars someone has, the better player they must be. I think the inverse function applies here actually.

bjgrifter, budda and Seabeast2000 like this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

This is also what I mean about slightly scooped mids. When you have an even, maybe slightly scooped guitar sound, you pair it with a compressed, (slightly) distorted bass sound with tons of growl (and some clean DI ofc for the low end rumble)... Trust me, no better sound than that.

It's how I pretty much record a lot of my stuff. When I first started recording, I had these kinda midrange heavy tones and a meh sounding bass, wondering why things sounded so... not huge. Then I started scooping the mids a LITTLE bit more, adding more to the treble frequencies and 200hz range. Then started isolating the dirty and clean bass signals, boost the bass signal ~900 - 1.6khz. Then it all started making sense.

XPT707FX and budda like this.
  5. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I don't have any regrets/dumb beliefs about guitar playing but if there's one regret I do have about music it's that I didn't listen to certain genres sooner.

For example I avoided black metal for years because of it's association with racist edgelord bellends plus the visual aspect of BM can be so ott it's like watching an episode of RuPauls Drag Race where all the costumes are black & covered in spikes, but when I finally found BM bands I liked I wished I'd discovered the genre sooner as there's a lot of modern BM bands taking on goth/post punk/folk elements and I've always been someone who prefers a sonically diverse album instead of 10 tracks that sound identical to each other.

The other example is country music but this is purely because I'm in the UK so the only country music that's visible to us over here is the cheesy nonsense of mainstream country so I completely avoided it until I heard Johnny Cash who made me want to dig deeper.

6. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

God the parts about samples with drums sounds so fucking wrong as someone who's studying audio engineering. Samples are not used to compete with the guitars lmao. It is there to reinforce the drums sure but you are barking the wrong tree. It very much depends on the vibe and aesthetic, and at the discretion of the engineer.

Hell, the modern metal clicky kick was pretty much born in the early 90s at the birth of the death metal scene, popularized by Pantera, and it just goes from there. The modern clicky kick allow it to be heard (very attacky), good fundamentals/sub, but clear in the low mid where the bass should be, and the bass is a critical parts of a good guitar tone. And also it cleared up frequency range for vocal and guitar as well. So it all linked together as a cohesive whole. If mixing drums is just putting samples on top of samples to "make it heard" then URM must be going bankrupt soon.

7. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

"Grammy‑winning producer Andy Sneap suggests that, in hard rock and heavy metal, sample replacement "is the only way to get the clarity required in the drums to cut through the wall of guitar that is expected these days.” If you're interested, Andy's use of both sample replacement and augmentation, and the wall of guitars that he has become renowned for, can be heard on Testament's 2008 album, The Formation Of Damnation."

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/replacing-reinforcing-recorded-drums

Anyway, whatever.

8. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Simple question, do you record? I'm guessing by your posts that you don't. That's not what samples are for

9. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

Trems are evil. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to love them but always hate them.

I love the feel of them but most of the time just block them.

10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

And if I don't? It's an internet forum, I could be anyone, which is why I quoted that Sneap interview to reinforce my point.

Disagree with me all you want, that's fine.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I suppose one could argue that this is really taking in one's own wash. Making the guitar the absolute front-and-center featured instrument that requires tricks & compromises to shoehorn-in the other instruments might be unsound to begin with.

The challenge is not making the guitar the center of the universe. Can't say I've remedied this for myself because I find that the hardest thing to play or write as a guitarist is still a rest.

12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Right, exactly, something like that was kinda my point to start with I guess. These days it seems that everything needs to be as big sounding as possible and then of course it can be hard to fit other stuff in, leading to stuff like more sample enhancement and clicky kicks.

But then I also think that as people have got used to that kind of stuff it's also become the preferred overall sound. I imagine some people don't even know what drums sound like irl, and they probably wouldn't like it if that's what they heard on a record.

13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

This is more of a stupid habit than something I used to believe, but I just noticed it when I was playing this morning I thought it was pretty funny.

I always hold my pick with the logo/text under my thumb (never towards my index finger). Even the picks where the lettering isn't raised or textured. Anybody else do this?

14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I do this. It totally sounds and feels different. I don't care what anyone says, it's true. Even with a new pick. Logo up is normal, logo down is extra crispy.

CM_X5, ImNotAhab and gunshow86de like this.
  15. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Im guessing it's the difference between experience and therefore deeper understanding of a subject vs. parroting information from other sources.

XPT707FX and DrakkarTyrannis like this.
  16. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Because you keep saying things that show you have no actual knowledge of how mixes work...and when people who actually do are telling you that what you're saying makes no sense, you are hellbent on trying to show how your theory (which is untested and devoid of any first hand understanding or experience) is correct.

Samples and mixing isn't about making everything louder. You don't spend your time recording drums just to manually build an entire fake kit. Big sounding mixes or guitars aren't about volume. Drum samples have been used for decades and more often than not it's a sample of a real drum. The idea of "people wouldn't know what a real drum kit sounds like " makes no sense. Hell you yourself wouldn't even know because you have no experience in the topic you're talking about

XPT707FX likes this.
  17. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Don't like what I post? Tough shit, don't fucking read it then.

18. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I dont think appeal to authority is the move here but ok. Would it blow your mind that sample replacement is even pretty usual in metal where there isnt a wall of guitars? Its about consistency in sounds, dude.

Tough shit, dont say stupid fucking opinion then.

19. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Gentlemen, gentlemen! Let us not allow anger to rule the day.

TheBolivianSniper likes this.
  20. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Lol what? I'll post my fucking opinion if I want. If you think it's stupid I don't give a fuck.