Stupid Things You Used to Believe About Music/Guitars

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by groverj3, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Italian? The fuck?

It was clearly a suave Spaniard who decided to make hand carved guitars between serenading sultry Spanish women. Possibly related to Antonio Banderas. He also may have had an enemy named..... Fernandes. That's what I thought at least...

Also Jackson guitars were clearly made by/for the Jackson 5.

....Schecter was an angry German guy that decided to take out his anger on the world by making baseball bat guitars (hey...it was the early days.)

ESP gave you E.S.P. ....amplified if you watch ESPN. [LTD limited said powers]

You should only play Agile guitars if you're a gymnast or a ballerina.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. valkyrie

valkyrie SS.org Regular

When I started playing my friend told me the pickup poles where there for making drum sounds during solos, took a few years to realize how retarded that was.

Oh, I also used to believe in "tonewoods"

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Musiscience and BMFan30 like this.
  4. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

OMG so i may have been right all along!

BMFan30 likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Pretty close, actually :lol: Probably had nothing to do with Antonio Banderas or Fernandes, but the rest is accurate (the women weren't documented but he had two sons, so ... ) :lol:

Splenetic likes this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I used to think that the brands on guitars actually owned the factories that made the guitars, not that Samick, Cor-tek, WMI, and FujiGen, made the vast majority of them and then they were rebranded. As if Salvador Ibanez's great grandson was running a factory somewhere in Spain, building hundreds of thousands of guitars there...

Along those lines, I also was one of the ignoramuses who thought BC Rich NJ's were named after New Jersey, not because someone told me that, but because I had just assumed.

7. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, my world came apart when I realized the NJ thing.

Then I thought about it, and realized it's probably for the better. OOOOH BURN.

(pls don't hate me NJ peeps, I'm just kidding)

8. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Damn, I was hoping I'd make Monday Night Football more interesting with this!

9. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Rosewood is inherently inferior to ebony because all the abused gear on the wall at the local GC was dried out shit and looked terrible.

sirbuh, Musiscience and Nlelith like this.
  10. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

No no....you see, every NFL football field has a massive warehouse full of their own ESP's underneath it to deflect our ESP's. Those folks ain't suckers, back in the day.... soon as they saw Kerry King with an ESP wearing a Raiders jersey they knew what was up.

sirbuh and BenjaminW like this.
  11. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

Thought all the back line gear was real. I was actually disappointed by that one because playing through 50 cabs still seems really cool. At least Matt Pike keeps things real.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I used to think that Guitar/Bass Cab IR's were made the same way as reverb space IR's LOL

:nlb:

13. Pollaxe Music Instruments

Pollaxe Music Instruments SS.org Regular

When I was five years old, I used to think that in order to play in lower tunings you gotta buy a guitar which specifically made for that tuning!

BMFan30 likes this.
  14. XC18

XC18 SS.org Regular

I used to think that the metric for being a good guitar player meant being able to play things most other people couldn't. Speed/complexity etc.

15. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

This thread constantly reminds me of Dave in this video:

XC18 likes this.
  16. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

This! It took me a single Suhr to go "oh! So that's what rosewood was supposed to be all along? Damn..."

17. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Whenever I oil the fretboard of my RG2228 and let it glisten in the sun, I'm always dazzled by the depth and vibrancy of rosewood.

I still prefer the feel of ebony, though.

groverj3 likes this.
  18. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

To be honest, I think a lot of us thought that too when we started practicing guitar. I probably translates to most instruments as well when you're starting out.

19. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

When I started playing guitar, I practiced standing up because rockstars don't sit down on stage, but when I took guitar lessons my teacher made a big deal about how you have to practice sitting down. So I started practicing sitting down, and practicing scales to a metronome bumping it up one BPM at a time, and I fucking hated it. And when I joined a band, all that stuff I learned sitting down I couldn't do because the guitar wasn't in the same spot, and the drummer wasn't perfect like a metronome, but I was having fun again.

I'm not the best guitar player by any means but you know what, I will rock the fuck out in my bedroom, and act like this

And I have more goddamned fun now than I did when I first learned how to bang out power chords.

20. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I'm not sure it necessarily counts, but just last week I changed some settings on my interface and now I can record with about 3ms of latency instead of twenty times that.

It turns out that I can hit the beat pretty squarely and consistently while recording if I try - I was just a goddamn bloody idiot that never bothered to set my system up properly for the past five years. So much anguish over my own stupidity trying to adjust my playing to suit the latency...