Stupid string spacing?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Mvotre, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

so I got a stupid problem right now, and I'm almost throwing this damn guitar on the wall :mad:

it's a Parker PDF 60 (those china ones). Neck problems, partially solved by a good luthier.

I changed the pickups a long time ago, for some brazilian made ones. Sounded nice just playing with distorted tones, but now I play with clean sound, and was recording some chord melody stuff, and my high E was stupidly quieter than the others. So I finally (months later) decided to check the spacing.

REALLY off. The E string it's completely off the pole. So I grabbed the original one, and it's exactly the same spacing (so reverting to the factory one I would get the exact stupid problem). It's a fairly basic guitar, but they would use wrong pickups in the factory?

also, the spacing beetween the G and D strings are larger than the others and they are the same at the nut. Damn! Searching on the internet, Floyds have a spacing of 53mm (where the strings leave the bridge), and a Fender Standard 52.5. My bridge got a whooping 56mm :eek: How is that possible?

To be fairly honest, I was just venting my problem. Fairly disappointed with the guitar right now. Bug ridden from the factory :noplease:

2. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

PS: also the neck is crooked as far as I can see. The string on the low E is much closer to the end of the fretboard than the high E. And the neck got this stupid radial joint. :mad::mad::mad:

3. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

4. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

damn, but a rails pickup for clean sounds? And at least I'm not dreaming :lol:

Since right now I'm just using the neck pup, I messed with the saddles (to gain 0,something mm), released the pickup screws, shoved a 1,0mm pick in the side of the cavity and tadaaa. Now it's off as well, but on equal sides :p

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pickups use magnetic fields, not optics. The poles not lining up has next to zero impact on tone or the ability of the pickup to detect the vibration of the strings.

6. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    The pickup's pole spacing not being ON the string is not that of a big problem. It might be just that you need to adjust the pickup's poles if adjustable. You can't imagine how it changes the overall pickup sensibility and general frequency response.

Other than that, it's quite natural that a neck pickup does not have a clear match pole to string, because... (geometry class here), the guitar's strings converge over the headstock. string spacing at the headstock is smaller than at the bridge, so is if bridge pickup's poles are ok in the string spacing...

Do try the following if those aesthetics get into your bones, measure the neck pickup's pole distancies and figure out if it is the Fender or Gibson spacing. Get a Gibson spacing for the neck.

7. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

well, in this case I'm getting a VERY weak signal from my E string. Now that I ghetto fixed it, sounds better. I believe the high E sounding weaker than the others might be normal, but it was pretty extreme.

after messing a lot, I believe I got a deal. Sounds better, and I believe some rail style pickup would fix the looks for me (even if it sounds "normal", it's ugly). As you guys know, good looking guitars sounds better :lol:

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Pole pieces not lining up isn't usually an issue other than our OCD.

A piece of wax paper and some iron filings will show you how far the magnetic field really goes beyond the width of the strings.

56mm? I'm dubious. Where/what are you actually measuring?

Plus to add, you can make any pickup a "blade" pickup. Just lay a strip of metal across the poles, and wala. There used to be a product on the market called the "Adder" that did this.

I have a neck pickup in my tele with no cover, and the pole pieces line up perfectly.
    You know what? I get signal drop-off on the high E.
    I'm chalking it up to it being a poorly built pickup.

9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

My understanding and experience has been that if the string is to the inside of the pole pieces, the alignment isn't particularly important, but if 1st string sits to the outside, it does sound weaker. But a 56mm bridge sounds kinda crazy.

10. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

ok, so I measured with a proper instrument (instead of the super crappy plastic ruler) and got something like 54mm. So, measuring with string on, I believe it just gor 53mm, Floyd spacing.

BUT, now I thinked about a thing. (guesstimating). I'm using 0.10 strings, tuned in 4ths. So I got a C and F for the highest strings. The high F is fairly stiff (comparing to a standard E). Could it be that the thin string, with higher tension just vibrate "less"? Because I remember get that feeling of weak sound with my Ibanez, with properly cosmetic pole spacing.

At night I will try to tune with a half step below (so I got a regular B and E at the highest strings) and will see if it sounds better.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I'm kind of lost here, what are um measuring? E to E distance? Where, at the bridge?

I REALLY doubt about this, it should do the opposite. Some times I tune my RG8 that way and I get no volume drop on the treble strings.

Have you checked the pickup's poles? Are they adjustable? If so, raise them a bit, it will focus the pickup's response on that particular string. Look at a strat's traditional pickups, they have their poles with different levels for some (this) reason. Play with those. If your pickup's poles are slug type, remove the pickup and carefully punch them out a little from the back. You may have to remove the base plate.

You can also raise the pickup a little on the treble side, getting it closer to the strings.