Studio recording accidents(?) purposely kept on the track post editing

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by vilk, May 29, 2020.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

The Beatles - Hey Jude. Paul McCartney plays a wrong note on piano and says "fucking hell".
    Too bad the original take is replaced by multiple remastered versions.

And dammit. I love Arcturus and know all their stuff. I heard that sound but never thought twice about it being a belch. :D

Having heard Ihsahns Undercurrent many times, that windows error sound is new. Now that I've heard it, it can never be unheard!

2. Frostod

Frostod SS.org Regular

I am sorry, most people don't hear it even after showing them the spot. I also never saw anyone else mention it

3. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

This song probably doesn't count as it is a demo version but just for the sake of hearing weird noises in songs...

Immense malignancy from Monstrosity. The demo version of this song sounds like, to me, some kind of bird chirping at the 0:34 - 0:35 mark. According to the (Enslaving the masses) liner notes, there was no editing of any kind. I cannot think how any musical instrument, mistake or not, could replicate a bird chirping and/or why, if so, they had a bird near by when recording the song but who knows.

At 0:34 - 0:35 and 1:19 - 1:20.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  4. Necropitated

Necropitated SS.org Regular

I think that's the bassist sliding his fingers across the strings. Like the typical string noise you get when changing positions, just overexaggerated. You barely hear it these days anymore because of editing, but I'd bet on it that it's the bassist. Both times there's a slide accompanying that sound which sounds like he is preparing for his positioning

Lorcan Ward and Rosal76 like this.
  5. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

I have probably listened to this record thousands of times and never noticed that sound. It is definitely on purpose, whatever it is, because there is no way a modern studio would not have trimmed the vocal track to clips to increase headroom.

Merrekof likes this.
  6. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

7. rikwebb

rikwebb SS.org Regular

During the Intro to AC/DC - Overdose there is a mistake in the intro

8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Black Country Woman "We've gotta get this airplane off" "Nah, leave it"

9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

On Dream Theatre “Gift of Music” there’s some weird auto tune error a minute or two in on James’s voice.

I don’t know what it is exactly, but it definitely sounds like it shouldn’t be there.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

NIN's Ruiner solo:

GW: I wanted to ask you about the solo in "Ruiner." How did you get that really nasty, ultra-quantized sound?
    REZNOR: Ah yes, the great, Pink Floyd-esque, Seventies-sounding section of the song. That's just a preset on the Zoom. I think I accidentally called up the wrong patch. I'm not a soloist. I was just laughing when I was playing with this ridiculous sound, recording into the computer saying like, "This is so cheesy," you know? I later realized that I basically tried to play a "Comfortably Numb"-type solo with this sound. I played the song for Chris, our drummer, and I was thinking, "He's going to start laughing. It's silly." But he goes, "Man, that guitar section was fucking great."

11. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

The imperfections are what make the tracks great. I, personally don't like super polished music unless it's tech death... other than that let me hear the flaws.

When my band records, we do live takes. Are there mistakes? Heck yes, but the overall vibe of the take is what matters to me the most.

We are human, we mistakes...its inevitable.

12. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

There's a part in Meshuggah's I during the intro where Thomas or somebody accidentally hits the hi-hat stand.

vilk likes this.
  13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

OMG I know exactly what you're talking about!

14. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Death Metal Dad Rock

Not to mention “Clown” where they kept the band screwing up the beginning and starting over.
    Sepultura’s Bestial Devastation & Morbid Visions.. must have been recorded without a tuner :lol: I love it when guitars are mildly out of tune double tracking. But some songs on these albums are ridiculous.

15. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

The very obvious one to me is the album version of "Time of your life" by Greenday. BJA plays a few notes, plays them again, then says "fuck" starts playing song properly.

kamello and vilk like this.
  16. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

As I Lay Dying's Confined, the chorus "How quickly, I forget, that this, is meaningless..." and then it loops into the second half of the chorus... this part [start of the 2nd half of the chorus] <- the drums sound a beat off! Always throws me off, but I can't be the only one who heard this haha.

17. Zer01

Zer01 SS.org Regular

Polly by Nirvana. Kurt comes in with “Polly said...” at the wrong time and tries again a few measures later.

18. rikwebb

rikwebb SS.org Regular

Theres also the part in one of the master of puppets solos where Kirk pulls the high E string off the fretboard by accident, plus on Blitzkrieg Lars admits to a mistake at the end of the track

Emperoff likes this.
  19. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Not sure if accident or on purpose (maybe @bulb can chime in) but on Periphery's Reptile at about 7:34, there's a guest vocals take coming before the actual part. It's quite low volume so not sure if intended or not but it sounds a bit misplaced.

Nlelith likes this.
  20. Bastian93

Bastian93 SS.org Regular

Linkin Park - In the end (?)
    I'm unsure if it's my hearing or if there really is a bit of a mistake in the intro melody which is played four times. The third time there are two notes played by the keyboard which are "cut off" a bit. The melody is flowing nicely and these two notes played a bit staccato and thus interupt the flow. Annoyed me ever since I noticed it.

I would love to know if this is intentional or accidental.

The notes I'm talking about are at 0:10/0:11 (I thinks its a Bb note played twice)