Studio Log Video: Single-handedly writing, playing and recording an entire album

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Erkan, May 11, 2010.

1. Erkan

Erkan Member

Hey guys!

I hang out a lot in the Andy Sneap forum over at ultimatemetal.com and thought I'd swing by here as well to share with you - my studio logs that will cover the entire process of making an album. This album combines a lot of musical styles into one fused style with most of the inspiration coming from djenty progressive metal but really, there's a lot of mixed stuff here and the clip you will see in part 1 down below won't be enough to describe the album in its entirety.

This should be very interesting for many of you since it's on a do-it-yourself-level which might inspire or motivate more people to do something like this. I started writing the first song at the end of 2008 and now I'm in the process of recording everything. I'm making videos as I go and try to explain what I'm doing, what problems I'm encountering, how I solve them and so on. It's currently up at part 2 but I have enough stuff for 7 parts and more is on the way as I progress through this, so don't hesitate to subscribe for instant updates. I'm pretty sure to bet it'll be worth it :)

Quick info about me: Born '87, started playing drums when I was 14 but didn't go "serious" until I was 18 or so. Then I started playing around with other instruments and at the age of 21 I discovered that my strength did not lie entirely in just playing music but more so in writing music so today I guess I'm 50/50 drummer/guitarist. I play every instrument and program/play synths on this album but the vox will be done by someone else (part 7 is going to be about vox).

Without further ado, I bring you - Part 1! Enjoy!

You can also listen to a rough unmixed and unedited (except for the drums) version of a "teaser" I made: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/unmixed_unedited_teaser.mp3

Might help you figure out what kind of music this consists of :)

A-LITTLE-UPDATE-----------------------------------------------

I just released part 3 & 4 together in order to try and speed up the release of the videos so we can get through the boring talk parts :) If you don't want to learn about my way of micing up the drums with overhead mics you can just skip to part 4 to see some footage from the drum tracking. Next up is the guitars in part 5, which should be plenty of fun!

I'm not sure how you guys feel about me creating a new thread for every part so I'll just stick this little update in here and bump the thread so any new guys can catch on and follow. After all, we are all learning and one of my goals with this project is to help others because others have helped me.

Enjoy and subscribe (if you haven't already)! Don't forget to actually click on it to go to YouTube to watch it in HD and stuff You'll also find part 4 there.

YouTube - Studio Erdo: Part 3 - Overhead drum micing tips [HD 720p]

ANOTHER-UPDATE---------------------------------------

Part 5:

Part 6: Bass guitar tracking, talk about the importance of new strings

Part 7: Tracking vocals, random fun stuff from the vocal session. Still 7 songs remaining so it'll take a while longer and part 8 will probably be about vocals too. Subscribe and enjoy! :)

2. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Cool stuff, man! It sounds pretty professional so far, I'm definately following this project! :)

Welcome to the forums too :wavey: I'm from Dalarna, so we're practically neighbours :yesway:

3. Erkan

Erkan Member

Sweet! Hi there neighbour! :) I'm glad you like it even though nothing is mixed so far, just a rough dirty "tracking mix". But I do happen to think I've got a pretty okay "base" to start from when the mixing phase finally begins.

4. Erkan

Erkan Member

Oh, it would be rude of me not to link the unmixed and unedited (well the drums are edited at least) version of a "teaser" I made for the guys over at the Andy Sneap forum, so I'm linking it to the OP. Hope that will give you guys a bit clearer definition of what kind of music this album is made up of.

5. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

6. etcetera

etcetera SS.org Regular

That opening riff was epic! :yesway:

7. matt397

matt397 Tr00f

Sick. I like thees kinds of stuff. this rough mix sounds better than my polished mixes. plug-ins please what are you using ?

8. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

sounds pretty cool from what I heard on the youtube video, the dropbox isn't working for me at the moment though. good luck, I'm looking forward to your progress.

9. eventhetrees

eventhetrees What's a Panini?

That teaser sounds really good man, good job. Digging the overall sound and the songs too. Really good drum tone/mix. Keep it up, can't wait to hear the finished product!!!

10. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

So fucking sick :yesway:

11. Erkan

Erkan Member

Thanks everyone! It really means a lot to me that you're liking this so far. Fills me up with some damn awesome energy to keep on going :)

Thanks man! To be honest, I'm not using anything special. I'm using Reaper as my DAW and the bread and butter (compressor and EQ) comes from Reaper itself - ReaEQ and ReaComp. I also have a lot of freeware plugins (too many since I find myself not using nearly all of them) but there have been a few favorites that I tend to reach out to when I need to. FreeVerb is one of them, quite good reverb. Also I have to strongly recommend the GVST suite which has compressors and stuff, all free. The multiband GMulti compressor is pure awesome.

You might wonder about the guitar sound though and that comes from WarpVST which unforunately is not freeware but only costs 50$ I believe. Almost no one I know uses that plugin for anything other than adding some distortion to bass guitars but I use it as my main distortion for this album :) I'm thinking of blending WarpVST with another amp sim, something freeware like Nick's 8505 or 7170 or Lepou's awesome amps.. or why not Onqel's X30 (Engl E-530 preamp sim if I recall correctly).

12. Heineken

Heineken Blackened is the end

Sweet, I did dig the little bit of Laments of an Icarus, such a sweet song!

13. Erkan

Erkan Member

I agree whole-heartedly :) Textures... awesome band. They have some of the most well-written songs I've ever heard.

14. Heineken

Heineken Blackened is the end

Agreed. I'll be in holland for two weeks this summer, and i was sooo hopin to catch one of their shows, unfortunately my vacation falls right between the first two shows they have booked in holland.......so pissed!

15. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

The teaser sounds great. That is pretty impressive considering you are using a software plugin for the guitar sounds and recording everything yourself. It sounds great. I really look forward to watching more of the videos.

16. TreWatson

TreWatson Pro Thread Killer

great work!

17. Erkan

Erkan Member

(Copy pasted from OP)

I just released part 3 & 4 together in order to try and speed up the release of the videos so we can get through the boring talk parts If you don't want to learn about my way of micing up the drums with overhead mics you can just skip to part 4 to see some footage from the drum tracking. Next up is the guitars in part 5, which should be plenty of fun!

I'm not sure how you guys feel about me creating a new thread for every part so I'll just stick this little update in here and bump the thread so any new guys can catch on and follow. After all, we are all learning and one of my goals with this project is to help others because others have helped me.

Enjoy and subscribe (if you haven't already)! Don't forget to actually click on it to go to YouTube to watch it in HD and stuff You'll also find part 4 there.

18. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

Shit, the bit of Bleed near the end was one of the best I've seen on youtube, despite being very short.

19. Erkan

Erkan Member

Just updated with part 5 also. Any newcomers are welcome to follow up on this as there will be a lot of tips and stuff later on when the editing and mixing phase begins.

20. Espaul

Espaul SS.org Regular

You could try and be less talented you know :p

Great vids, I'm really gonna remember the drum micing tips :)

And awesome t-shirt :D