student loan forgiveness

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220903-160828_Facebook.jpg

I mean... if we discourage kids to go to college, then America will be lacking badly needed professionals: doctors, nurses, engineers, computer programmers, etc. So, we need to import them here... only to be hated by the other group who dislike immigrants and get randomly slapped or punched.

Isn't that something...

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anecdotal, but a buddy of mine texted me and said he’s thrilled he got the 10k relief, because his last 9k loan two years ago went to a computer, an engagement ring, a vacation, and part of a payment toward a Strandberg.

4-F40-A1-F6-2-B0-C-48-DD-8-BCB-B650-D1406810.jpg

I wonder how many other stories are out there like this.

Last edited:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Anecdotal, but a buddy of mine texted me and said he’s thrilled he got the 10k relief, because his last 9k loan two years ago went to a computer, an engagement ring, a vacation, and part of a payment toward a Strandberg.

An insignificant number

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So he did it in reverse order? Instead of paying for college and paying interest for X years, he pumped money into the economy and then paid interest?

I’m sure that’s not the only person who “benefited”. But the alternative is to keep thousands of others stuck paying off overpriced degrees, to prevent some people from that.

A generation was told in school “any degree will get you ahead in life”. Without reservation, that was every authority source for nearly 20 years. I’m glad that the curtain is finally slowly setting on the free for all costs of education.

Again I have no debt, I worked all through school and was frugal. But I’m not mad other people are getting out from predatory lending made to 18 year old kids.

Banks had no problem fleecing kids, but god forbid someone floats raising tax rates on large companies.

Again the only “argument” isn’t an argument. It’s “it’s not fair”.

Yeah neither was being promised that loans at 6%+ would be easy to pay off once they graduate with a great career by the people that were supposed to be guiding them.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would also like to add that their loans have been deferred since graduation, so they have never made a single payment. So it stands to reason that the only Strandberg worth getting is a deferred forgiven student loan Strandberg!

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

These are ungrateful abusers of the system. Simply needs regulation and audit. Perhaps system needs to pay the school or whatever expense directly of some sorts. But c'mon, Americans! Are we really going to be like this?

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But c'mon, Americans! Are we really going to be like this?

Yes, they are. I listened to a finance podcast a while back and it basically stated that the general population is very good at living at the very edge of their financial limitations. Ironically they are also very good and intuitive at adapting to new financial throughputs. I have even seen dumb shit on other websites/forums where people would post their “net worth” in the form available lines of credit. I had a neighbor a long long long time ago that I can’t remember what he did but shit hit the fan and he went and bought one of those icee trucks and just drove around to schools and games and paid the bills.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
^ What exactly is the argument being made here? People will make do, so we shouldn't improve anything? Of course people find ways to get by. What's the alternative, just give up and die? Be homeless? Or are you implying that nobody deserves assistance because financial woes are mostly people's own poor choices? I don't have a vague claim of "I heard it on a podcast once" to back it up, but it's been my experience that people do make decent decisions and tend to thrive and contribute to the economy when they're granted the means to do so, which seems to me to be the whole point. (Edit: and to clarify, by "means" I don't mean a one-time windfall - I'm talking about more people being educated and earning more. The big picture isn't the one-shot of money, it's the benefit of having a more educated population.)

If I have to choose between watching a minority of people game the system to pay for guitars, vs. any number of people who are financially crippled whether that education did them some good or not, then I'd rather see some people cheat to pay for guitars. I mean, even that guitar purchase moved some money around was of some benefit to someone. That builder now has more income and can keep their business going, that's still a win.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ What exactly is the argument being made here? People will make do, so we shouldn't improve anything? Of course people find ways to get by. What's the alternative, just give up and die? Be homeless? Or are you implying that nobody deserves assistance because financial woes are mostly people's own poor choices? I don't have a vague claim of "I heard it on a podcast once" to back it up, but it's been my experience that people do make decent decisions and tend to thrive and contribute to the economy when they're granted the means to do so, which seems to me to be the whole point. (Edit: and to clarify, by "means" I don't mean a one-time windfall - I'm talking about more people being educated and earning more. The big picture isn't the one-shot of money, it's the benefit of having a more educated population.)

If I have to choose between watching a minority of people game the system to pay for guitars, vs. any number of people who are financially crippled whether that education did them some good or not, then I'd rather see some people cheat to pay for guitars. I mean, even that guitar purchase moved some money around was of some benefit to someone. That builder now has more income and can keep their business going, that's still a win.

So for one, I wasn't talking to you, but thanks for jumping in with your patented psuedo-agressive and argumentative style. Two, I was talking about Americans in general and how the general population (inclusive but not exclusive to student loan holders) is very good at living at the very edge of their financial limitations (I felt it very necessary to repeat that verbatim since you apparently didn't get it the first time and are somehow applying it to your new version of an argument). I picked up on his comment of "But c'mon, Americans! Are we really going to be like this?" as evidenced by the section I quoted, and took it to a more generalized topic with my vague claim from my rogue podcast. I was just talking, not arguing, so I apologize if that bothered you and sorry I can't meet your argument halfway because I don't have one.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bro some people are shitty. A related but not identical example is something like food stamps/wic/ebt/ etc.

Some people feel that drug tests or some similar test should be required.

But the children of drug addicts have to eat too. And occasionally even addicts use the money for what it’s supposed to go to.

Tax dollars slip through the cracks on some families. But it doesn’t for others. And it’s an effort to feed/clothe those in need.

If we say, for example, were to offer free breakfast lunch and dinner through public schools we could then “ensure” that hungry kids are in fact getting fed with those tax dollars.

But one way or another kids deserve to eat. Most rational adults can get behind that idea. We just need to figure out how best to spend those tax dollars.

Now for this some people like the example above will for sure abuse it. But so so many other people just got real financial relief for their families. Again, I understand the trade off. And it’s a trade off I can accept.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I wasn't talking to you
My bad - I forgot that public forums are strictly for one-to-one conversations.

the general population (inclusive but not exclusive to student loan holders) is very good at living at the very edge of their financial limitations
To what end? What other purpose is served by pointing out that, yes, some people are going to be like that? But also, I think my gut reaction is to disagree with the assertion that people tend to "live on the very edge of their limitations". I think a better assertion might be that the general population tend to be found at the edge of their limitations just by virtue of those limitations not being very high to begin with. Outside of tech circles, couples with no kids, and the odd well-paying trades, I'd be willing to bet that enough people have poor enough means to give off the impression that people tend towards the edge naturally or by virtual of their poor decision making or something, and not because there are few (or no) alternatives.

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All I can say is that... if we're not going to encourage our American youth to further their education, it will start the decline of the status that America is supposed to be known for.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Then how did he pay for school?

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then how did he pay for school?

A combination of financial assistance/loans/bright futures scholarships. He is one of the few fortunate ones that made it to the promised land of a successful career path he was coerced in to before the ink dried on the loan app. But my original point still stands… the only Strandberg worth owning is a free one!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I would also like to add that their loans have been deferred since graduation, so they have never made a single payment. So it stands to reason that the only Strandberg worth getting is a deferred forgiven student loan Strandberg!
What's your best price on that ?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
A combination of financial assistance/loans/bright futures scholarships. He is one of the few fortunate ones that made it to the promised land of a successful career path he was coerced in to before the ink dried on the loan app. But my original point still stands… the only Strandberg worth owning is a free one!
Strandbergs aside, it seems weird that the government paid for a bunch of his schooling anyway, and he has some other loan amount, but the forgived portion is attributed directly to funding rings and vacations and strandbergs and not his education.

Right, like I take out $20k in loans, 50% I use for education, 50% I use for guitars. Someone gives me $10k. I either just got a free education and paid for my own guitars, or I paid my own education and got free guitars. Depends on what kind of political point you're trying to make. As someone who wants to reduce the amount that americans are paying for education, ultimately I'm okay with it. Getting free education and buying guitars (or an engagement ring, a vacation, even a strandberg) sounds good to me.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Military recruitment is entirely premised on continued economic precarity of the cannon fodder class.

But Jim Banks already said that.