student loan forgiveness

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You have to understand Adieu is still in their "STEM industry is the only thing of value" phase of propping up their identity. Plenty of us have been there.

Nope, I just mistrust and detest the vast majority of teachers. I view teachers like many people view police. I really really really hate the vast majority of them.

Actually, I think that their relatively low incomes are one of the few redeeming qualities of the US education system.

I hope they will soon all be replaced by elites doing video lessons. It will do real good for the children and, free bonus? It will suck for the teachers and thus bring me joy.

Also, I don't work in STEM.

Last edited:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Nope, I just mistrust and detest the vast majority of teachers. I view teachers like many people view police. I really really really hate the vast majority of them.

Actually, I think that their relatively low incomes are one of the few redeeming qualities of the US education system.

I hope they will soon all be replaced by elites doing video lessons. It will do real good for the children and, free bonus? It will suck for the teachers and thus bring me joy.

Also, I don't work in STEM.
Why?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
That's.... baffling?

I can't imagine anything a teacher could do to warrant that kind of hatred that would directly relate to the profession of teaching. Like I've known some terrible teachers, but their issues were their own. I knew one teacher who used to line up elementary students and throw textbooks at them. We've had our fair share of pervy / pedo music and gym teachers. I could easily picture teachers bringing their biases and discrimination into their classrooms. But those, at least in my experience, have been the exceptions and didn't generally have anything to do with the profession.

When you say video lessons, I'm picturing youtube, and that would be a nightmare of an education system. Youtube as a teaching platform has some serious problems that I assume any video-centric-teaching would have. It's not an education platform at it's core - it's a marketing platform. Having your education be entirely driven by marketing, in a setting where success is not driven by how well you've imparted information, but how well you can drive eyeballs and dollars to sponsors, means that you'd be setting up people to be taught all manner of misinformation. For how great it is that the internet has given us vast access to information, it's also given people vast access to "elite experts" who were so full of shit as to be dangerous to their own audiences.

Unless your teachers are murdering people for being the wrong race, I can't understand the cop comparison. And I say that coming from a place that had schools that DID murder people for being the wrong race.

I hope they will soon all be replaced by elites
This sentence makes me uncomfortable.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Adieu might be Roger Waters :lol:

I'm sure in a lot of professions there's a bull-curve-like distribution of competency. The problem is that those in the back end of the curve can cause great harm, whether it be teachers, doctors, cops, politicians, etc. It's fair that if you had negative experiences with the worst of a profession, being informed that they're not all bad is hardly a salve.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adieu might be Roger Waters :lol:

I'm sure in a lot of professions there's a bull-curve-like distribution of competency. The problem is that those in the back end of the curve can cause great harm, whether it be teachers, doctors, cops, politicians, etc. It's fair that if you had negative experiences with the worst of a profession, being informed that they're not all bad is hardly a salve.

I don't think the hate of teachers is all that baffling, but the proposed replacement is. :lol:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think the hate of teachers is all that baffling, but the proposed replacement is. :lol:

Really? You don't see how a standardized lecture from a high-end professor might be more beneficial than the rants of the usual mixture of dumb-as-bricks ex-marines, thrice-divorced shotgun-toting 4-cat ladies, weird old racists, etc etc etc?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Really? You don't see how a standardized lecture from a high-end professor might be more beneficial than the rants of the usual mixture of dumb-as-bricks ex-marines, thrice-divorced shotgun-toting 4-cat ladies, weird old racists, etc etc etc?
You assume a high end elite professor is a benevolent source of education and information. What happens when they aren't and who judges what is high end? Texans and Californians will argue that til the cows come home

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You assume a high end elite professor is a benevolent source of education and information. What happens when they aren't and who judges what is high end? Texans and Californians will argue that til the cows come home

Leaving much of the curriculum to video would:

1) add transparency, opening it to parent and peer review
2) provide much more equality of opportunity
3) make it cheaper

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Nah, that sounds batshit crazy in a whacky libertarian hellscape kind of way. Like a cut scene from a Judge Dregg remake.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

There's actually some legitimacy to the cop comparison IMO, but it's a critique of the public school system that is heavily based on penal discipline and results in what is now commonly referred to as the "school-to-prison pipeline." That, and there are many (I would say most) adults who cannot even conceive of a discipline model that doesn't center around punishment.

Making matters even worse is we now have the MTSS/Restorative Justice fad going around schools. It's a great idea, but the problem as ever is that there aren't enough staff to implement it correctly and as a result we get the worst of both worlds: no punishments and no restorative justice.

Absolutely nothing in this world is unsullied by capitalism, and as Jim Lahey would say, we can see the results in the fruits of the happenings.

Like a cut scene from a Judge Dregg remake.

Best and most relevant accidental typo TYVM

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what this is in reference to, but many 4 year universities will hire professors who also work at the local community college.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
It still baffles me that parents want to arm teachers with firearms, yet do not trust teachers to actually teach their children.

---------------------
But, I digress. Higher education tends to benefit everyone in a society, thus educational opportunities should exist for everyone. That does not mean religious education, unless someone is taking a comparative religions elective.

What we are seeing now though, is a generation of more educated people who are effectively indentured servants to the system. It seems that the current political base wants a majority of uneducated, underfunded, human drones to be their working class.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What we are seeing now though, is a generation of more educated people who are effectively indentured servants to the system. It seems that the current political base wants a majority of uneducated, underfunded, human drones to be their working class.

You can't fool all the people all the time, but if you get enough adults on board you can fool most of an entire generation for long enough that it won't matter by the time they realize what went down.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure what this is in reference to, but many 4 year universities will hire professors who also work at the local community college.

No, I mean like top 10% of Ivies only. Why would you want a video course by a nobody?

I am suggesting that the whole nation needs maybe a dozen K-12 "teachers" per subject.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Huge fallacy in thinking the "high end" professors from top schools are the best teachers. They're the experts... that doesn't mean they're particularly good at relaying that information to the masses. Usually the opposite.

That said, I'm sure we will transition to some sort of more distributed courses with very careful and professional curation. Doesn't mean fewer teaching jobs or anything, just means more supplemental resources.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huge fallacy in thinking the "high end" professors from top schools are the best teachers. They're the experts... that doesn't mean they're particularly good at relaying that information to the masses. Usually the opposite.

That said, I'm sure we will transition to some sort of more distributed courses with very careful and professional curation. Doesn't mean fewer teaching jobs or anything, just means more supplemental resources.

That's why I'm saying top 10% *of* the top 1%

Yes, I'm quite aware there are plenty of rather incompetent instructors who gained their positions through birthright, connections, achievements in research, etc., but there are people who actually know how to teach too.