Stud lock bolts?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Cabinet, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

Hey, really basic question, but I want to be sure I know what the results of doing this to my tremolo is, so I don't do anything damaging.
    My Edge Zero tremolo has come with separate stud lock bolts, I assume these are the two tiny black screw like things.
    Now will installing these things keep my tremolo from moving? What can and can't I do if I install these bolts?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All those do is lock the studs of the trem posts (the part that you raise and lower to adjust action, and that the knife edges of the trem rest in) from moving. When you use the trem a lot, the constant tension change and movement of the trem itself on the studs can cause them to move a little, this can have a negative effect on tuning stability and setup. By locking the studs in place via those small set screws you eliminate this movement.

Basically, if you use the trem a fair amount they'll potentially keep you in tune a little better.