Stripping Paint Without Power Tools and Keeping Quilt?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by RLG167, Jan 1, 2016.

1. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Hey everyone, I want to repaint one of my EC-100QM's, and was wondering how to get paint off, but still have the quilt. I want to repaint it trans blue burst. But I don't have any power tools. Any suggestions of how I can do this?
    Thanks, RG

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think that's a veneered top, which means you're SOL. And it's probably stained not painted (or maybe stained and cleared). I could be just a translucent paint over the top, but either way the odds of you getting the finish off, while leaving the veneer, are exceptionally low. If it's an actual top, then it's possible, and you'd want to either use chemical stripping, or just go at it like a madman with sandpaper.

Generally speaking, unless you have some significant emotional attachment, you're better off just selling the thing and buying a guitar with the specs (including finish) you want.

3. sehnomatic

sehnomatic SS.org Regular

I used to have a blue ltd MH-1000NT which chipped on the back to reveal natural coloured mahogany and have a friend with a chipped EC-1000T FCSB with the same result.

Search for images of used LTD deluxes and you'll find that all of the colours are sprayed on after sealer.

Stripper can attack the binding and sand paper is a pain. It sounds pretty scummy, but for my first refinish, I bought a $30 heat gun, used it, and returned it.

4. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I tried with sandpaper and an xacto knife, and after 2 hrs of those both I got maybe 3" off the side (almost looks like binding) so I think it is veneered. That sucks. If I were to use a power tool, which one would work? My neighbor is a carpenter, he's let me borrow his tools in the past, he may have a power sander or something.

5. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

It's not the 1000, it's the 100. Bolt on neck, esp pups, etc.

6. sehnomatic

sehnomatic SS.org Regular

Ah, misread. Searching for used ec100qm pictures gives same conclusion: painted color.

Although your carpenter friend may not likely have one, other than sanding, a heat gun can cleanly remove the the color and clear coat layers of paint but not the sealer often due to high heat tolerance. You can stop at the sealer and rough it up with sandpaper and continue the finish from there.

Carpenter guy will most likely have a random orbital sander which will let you sand down the finish in minutes.

7. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Go very slowly with 80 or 100 grit until you can see the clearcoat starting to wear thin, then go even slowlier. When you see actual wood go up to 150 grit and go slowliest. There was a guy on here who stripped his veneered LTD and preserved the quilt well enough for a proper finish.

Edit: Found the thread . The guy took a shortcut with some aggressive stripper. Find the right one for your clearcoat and you'll save yourself more hours than you can possibly imagine (especially since you don't have a random orbital sander). Mainly this makes sure you don't just go "Fuck it" and just plow right through the veneer in a fit of impatience.

8. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Thanks. Yeah, when I read your comment the first time I though,t the 100 doesn't have binding, but then I read it again lol :). Yeah, I think "carpenter guy" has an orbital sander. Thanks for the help

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I need something to prevent myself from doing that in most areas of my life. :lol: