Stripped Truss Rod Nut, Agile AL

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by wheresthefbomb, May 20, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I stripped out the truss rod nut on my Agile AL-2000 Baritone using crappy/wrong tools over and over like a real dingus. The truss rod itself is fine, and a local shop was able to adjust it last summer, but their setup was so bad that I don't really want them touching it again nor would I trust them to set it correctly.

I'm hoping for a cheap solution, I'm going to order one of those StewMac nut gripper wrenches and a new truss rod nut. This brings me to my question:

What size truss rod nut goes on Agile ALs? Usually Gibson stuff is a drop in replacement on this guitar but the nut is a cylinder (that used to be) fitted for a 4mm allen key, totally different from Gibson. I don't even see one like it offered on StewMac. Can I put one of the Gibson or Fender ones on as long as I get the right tool to turn it, or do truss rods come with different threading?

Thanks for reading.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pull the nut, check the threads, buy accordingly. There's probably something out there that's a direct fit, worse case scenario, just use a tapered extractor (which is basically what the "Grabber" is) to move the rod the few times a year it's needed.

For the future, get a set of good ball end, long shaft allen keys. There are plenty of cheap sets on Amazon and eBay these days.

3. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Thanks for your feedback, I was sort of hesitant to pull the nut without a replacement on hand but that's only out of ignorance. I'll order the gripper today and get on with it, then.

I already bought a nice set of allen keys, but too late, alas.