Strings for Drop E?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by 888, Nov 7, 2015.

1. 888

888 SS.org Regular

I tune my Ibanez rg8 to drop E and I'm currently using a Daddario 80 gauge string. It's extremely floppy and isn't comfortable to play at all; its tension is perfect at F# though. Are there any good guitar string between 85 and 90 available in Europe which I could try? I'm aware of Kalium, but shipping is too expensive. Ernie ball makes a 105, but I think that's just too much. I've been told that bass strings aren't an option since their tonal qualities are very different. What are you thoughts?

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Their is 85 and 90 gauge bass strings on thomann!

3. 888

888 SS.org Regular

I looked just know and I was only able to find as high as 80; unless you're talking about bass strings which I'm trying to avoid (unless they don't actually sound different from guitar ones).

4. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Best bet would be a GHS .090 or an Elixer bass string. Both will be decently bright and will provide better tension.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You are correct in avoiding bass strings. Exceptions being those with the same construction as the guitar strings. That's Kalium and Elixir, to my knowledge.
    90 will be as tight as a 45 octave E so pretty normal. If you're into big strings on a 6 string (more than 10-46) you'll probably want closer to 100. Sounds like 90 will be fine given you like the F#

6. 888

888 SS.org Regular

If elixir bass and guitar strings are the same, then that's probably my best bet. Thanks for your help.

7. Kittenflower

Kittenflower SS.org Regular

I have a custom string set from Stringjoy imported to Europe (their prices are really good). My .090 string sounds pretty ok in drop E, but sits a bit awkwardly next to the light guages I picked for my playing style. The bump in string thickness needed a bit of time getting used to :) it sounds bassy and bright in clean, and totally crushes in high gain.
    They told me they're developing a .085 string so next time I'll be trying that one out.

If your guitar has a string lock mechanism though, watch out trying to get it to fit the saddle on your bridge (my RGA8 suffered a bit before I finally locked it in)

Edit: just read you have an RG8, those should do fine at the saddles I think. Watch out for your tuner then though, might need to drill it open a little :) my Stringjoy .090 had a tapered inch or two which saved me of that trouble.

8. gaunten

gaunten WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!

I know you said kalium had too expensive shipping, but, it's totally worth every penny. The strings are pretty cheap as it is, and if you buy a bunch of sets at once you get a discount as well, and the shipping is the same. I got a set of 11-86 for my 28.625 Agile, for E standard, and I couldn't be more pleased, and they work great for F and decently for drop D as well. If you know you're gonna use this tuning for a while, try their tension calculator, try a set that you think might fit your preferences, if you like it, order like 10 more and you'll be good to go for a while (depending on how often you change) and it won't end up costing you a fortune.