Strings for ADADGBe ?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by 777, May 8, 2021.

1. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Currently using 9-46 + 62 for this set, feels ok but the low A is a bit floppy.

Was thinking of going to 10-52 + 64 but the tension looks all over the place... Anyone got any ideas?

Current
    Strings Current.png

10-52
    1052.png

2. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Do you also find the low D (which has lower tension than the low A) too loose, or only the low A?

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I can hook you up with singles from the UK at no extra cost :) Looks like you know your way around a calculator so I'll leave the suggestions up to you! Most stock sets are at least a little all over the place even in standard tuning sadly :(

sonoftheoldnorth likes this.
  4. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Yeah the low D feels loose too
    Im in ireland so VAT might be an issue, my girlfriend is in the UK currently so maybe I could ship to her. Can you PM me here so we can chat? :)

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If your only issue is with the low A, then that's the only string you need to change. 9-46 plus a 64 or higher should take care of it :shrug:

6. Neon_Knight_

That's what I was thinking when I asked about 777's low D. That's too loose as well, so the solution is less straightforward.

My suggestions:
    • Bespoke set from Stringjoy
    • 9-42 or 9-46 set + 2x heavy single (lowest string from the set goes spare)
    • Buy all single strings (or multi-packs of each individual string gauge for economy)

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Decided to go with a set of 10-52 + 68

Pretty much copying Aaron of Intervals, if this doesn't do it I might try 9-46 and replace the 46 with the 52 and then 68 for the 7th

This is a pain in the ass. Id rather try some retail sets before committing to a bespoke set atm .

8. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

You may also consider the GHS Gilmour set that goes 10 12 16 28 38 48 and the DR Dimebag set that goes 9 11 16 28 38 50. I'd recommend going no thicker than 64 for the low A though because overly thick strings sound like wooly boomy ass imo and intonation can be a PITA ;)

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

ADADGBE is BEADGBE with the lowest 2 dropped 2 semitones. So it seems obvious you should use the 9-46 set you already like for the highest 5, plus 2 singles with gauges boosted the necessary amount for the dropped AD strings.
    You can see that a 10-52 set completely screws up the tensions, 25-30 pounds is extreme, so that is not a good idea.

Winspear, Matt08642 and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Stringjoy can do pretty much anything at a reasonable price. If I was messing around with weird tunings I’d start there. I love EB cobalts for example but they share the same general sets as Dad & others.

11. Neon_Knight_

The only disadvantage with Stringjoy is that they don't last as long as some of the other popular brands such as D'Addario and Elixir etc. (apparently - this is not based on personal experience). I like my strings to last, so gave up on EB Slinky strings after two packs degraded as much within the first two weeks as D'Addario XL does in two months.
    Even if Stringjoy strings oxidise quicker than some, they would be an affordable go-to option for initially trying funky gauges for awkward tunings. Could always go down a more expensive route for longer lasting strings after finding the ideal gauges.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Yes, this is best, and i would do this first, i doubt you will like the tensions of the entire 10-52 set. Then over time adjust the gauge of the 2 single strings by trial and error.

13. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Update - Using this currently

9-46 set, replace 46 with a 52 +68 on low A

This is pretty much near to perfect - I think I might go down to a 50 on the 6th string. But the guitar feels solid as a rock with this setup

Winspear likes this.
  14. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

I put on the A string of the 10-52 and immediately took it off it was absolutely horrible xD

Winspear and ixlramp like this.