Strings are SO dry, please recommend lubricant

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Gmork, Jun 10, 2015.

1. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

would dr ducks axe wax cause strings to corrode quickly?

2. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

No, it actually helps lubricate and extend the life of the string.

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yuk, Oils and wax are gross and cause dirty strings. If you're ok with that feel then be aware that any oil based lube can actually make your finger tips red and sore and raw depending on how you play and how your skin reacts to it. Wax is less harsh too. Either way if you use anything the key is to hardly use any at all.
    - If you want to try something that will give you a slick feel, no interaction with your skin or rubbing it raw and not make a mess, then just glide your finger tips across an unlit candle like one time very lightly. You're probably good to go for the whole night. Be aware also if you touch your pick hand with it then it will make your pick slippery too in which case you can use talc/baby powder under cold water to remove it. Oh yeah, talc powder ( a very light amount) on the fret hand works really good to and feels different and better than wax, imo, but wears faster and makes everything dusty if not careful. If you use a micro-amount of talc powder on your thumb and index/ pick holding fingers and then lightly and quickly lick or wet/damp one finger tip and then tap your thumb and finger tip together it will make a tacky surface for you to hold your pick yet still remain adjustable while playing.
    - Another "trick" is that these work to varying degrees to get rid of the string squeak noise especially with acoustic guitars. Sometimes you want string squeak though. For acoustics especially, you can use vitamin E oil from the girl section at the drug store. It's for cuticles but you brush the lightest amount on your finger tips, dab it off with a water on cloth and your fingers feel normal but a little moisturized still but not oily or sticky and also will get rid of that string noise when moving the fret hand. If you want the squeak back quickly though it's hard to do. You need to dry them out fast with 99% alcohol, baby powder etc and that still don't always work.
    - The ratio of all these amounts is an art and up to personal taste.
    - I've been through all kinds of weird OCD stuff with my guitar hands trying different stuff. When I was playing 6-8 hours a day every day for years (like 12-16 hours but 6-8 of actual fingers moving) your skin literally starts wearing raw and through the layers and it hurts, but you gotta keep playing. So I figured out you can also repair your fingers if they are worn out/ worn smooth or cut etc. while still also retaining the playability and responsiveness of skin. It an invention I made called the F.R.K. (Finger Repair Kit). It's like skin grafting. You can do this by getting some super glue, q-tips, toilet paper, a file and some talcum powder. If it's a cut you get some medicated talc powder, put it in the cut, press cut together, superglue over seam of pressed together cut, wipe the superglue seam of the cut with the q-tip, make sure to get fibers in there really good with a bunch of cotton strings coming out of it, brush/ sand it with the toilet paper, after totally dried then use nail file (course file) to sand finger or thumb to shape. All done. Now when you do things like pinch harmonics they will still come out as if you have skin there. Without the cotton fibers and and toilet paper they don't come out as easy and the super glue wears off faster and boogers up into little balls like rubber cement. With the fibers though this will last at least 2-3 days even with heavy playing too. If you do some ridiculous amount of pinch harmonics or something it might only last a day, but you'd have to basically be practicing them for a couple hours straight or something. I don't do this anymore because I'm not playing nearly that much any more, but If I get to that point I'd do it again if needed.

4. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

^^ LOL, says oils and wax are gross then proceeds to tell the OP to use oil and wax.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yeah, They are gross, but you can still use them. I said if the OP was ok with that then he can try some of these suggestions. Just because it's gross don't mean you can't do it or recommend it. I know of some gross waxy and oily things that I'll still do with girls too, even though it's gross. ; )

noise in my mind likes this.