String Tension Super Thread (Got a string question? Post it here!)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MaxOfMetal, Sep 29, 2010.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I use 9-46+59
    I started much thicker as a beginner and find those strings comfortable.
    Yngwie uses .008's
    If anything, a softer trem makes bending more difficult.
    Using thick strings or thin strings or whatever is not a badge of honour. Maybe you only use thick strings because you use a heavy hand. Recommending fatter strings to facilitate bending is kind of weird advice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Is 12-56 too heavy for D standard on 25.5 inches? What would the equivalent in E standard be? I'm looking to beef up the strings on my guitar that I use for anything from D to B standard, which is a pretty wide range, but I'm using 10-52 right now and it gets pretty floppy for riffing on the low strings when going down to C and B standard. I'd like to use a wound G string as well, does that add to the tension?

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I would think it would work just fine, probably pretty good actually.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

6% gauge change per semitone for equal tension. So 10.5-49.5 in E is roughly equivalent to 12-56 in D. Not insane by any means!
    Wound Gs are lighter than a plain at the same gauge. So you can use a 20 or 21w in place of a 19 plain for example.
    I suggest 12 16 22w 31 42 56 for a good balanced 12s set. It would not be awful in B

5. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I'm going to shamelessly ask three questions in a row, but what string gauge should I look at for drop A and drop Ab on a 26.5 seven string if I'm using 9-46 in E standard on my 6 string? I feel like going 10-46 would be good enough if I'm going to tune down half a step on a longer scale length, but I'm a bit stumped on the low B string. I used to use a 68 on my low B on my old 25.5 inch 7 string but it was a bit too floppy for my tastes, but I also don't really like the feeling of having a power cable for my lowest string.

Do I just have to suck it up and stick to the 68? Because going down to a 64 on the low B on a 26.5 scale length would give me pretty much the same tension as 68 on 25.5.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

So I was never able to find a setup I liked on my 8, and I haven't really played around with it in years.
    But I've been getting into some pretty sludgy stuff lately, and am looking at getting a 26.5" 7 and tuning to Drop E.
    My go-to standard setup that I use as a reference point for setting up other guitars in other tunings is my RG920: 25.5" scale, Drop C, 10-52 strings. I love this setup.

So I used Kalium's string tension calculator to guestimate that in order to achieve a similar amount of tension on that low E string, I'm going to need somewhere between a 77~79. That's pretty T H I C C, and when I tried setting up my 8 way back when, I used an 82 to tune all the way down to D. This sucked though; it was a 27" scale guitar and managed to both feel too tight and too loose at the same time, and I had an absolute bitch of a time trying to set the action to where it wasn't as high as a skyscraper and didn't buzz / choke itself.

So for you extended rangers out there, does a low E on 26.5" with a 77 sound manageable to you? I've gotten a lot better at setting and keeping a setup than I was back then, but it was still such a bad experience that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on this.

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Personally no, not at all. But I base my tension on a 46 E @ 25.5 , which is much much tighter than a 52 C. Equates to roughly an 85-90 E at 27" to be considered tight enough for me - which gets muddy. So I'm really only happy with E at 28.5 at a bare minimum. You are lucky you have lighter tension requirements, but yes, getting a good setup with lower thicker strings with that kind of tension is going to be hard

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  8. WillyTheMLGPro

WillyTheMLGPro SS.org Regular

So using a 27 inch scale length with NYXL0980 without the high E at D# G# D# G# C# F A#
    if I had a 26.5 scale length, what gauge would I use to keep the same tension?

9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

There is a calculator on my website (see signature) , but it just uses the math I'm about to tell you:
    You can change gauge by the same ratio as the scale length change. So 9*(27/26.5) and 80*(27/26.5).
    So 9.17 to 81.5 haha. No need for a string change

RobPhoboS and WillyTheMLGPro like this.
  10. OW_Raygon

OW_Raygon SS.org Regular

Hi guys, here is my question:
    Would it be a problem for a 7string, 27inch scale guitar to go in 8string territory? I mean, a 7string guitar tuned F# B E A D F# B could have tension issues? Would it be ok to use 8 strings set 09-80 throwing away the 009?

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

It will perform exactly the same as a 27" 8 string :) You will just need to rub the strings in the nut a little to widen the slots until they contact underneath.

OW_Raygon likes this.
  12. OW_Raygon

OW_Raygon SS.org Regular

So for you there will be no problem in the tension, good to know, thank you.
    What about a fanned fret? Let's say a 25,5 - 27 inches. What gauge would you recommend?

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Personally I don't find 27" sufficient for F# to have a great sound and feel, but I figured your question was asking more about the difference between 7 and 8 (for which there isn't one). 27" is at least decent enough for F#, though I think it really isn't good at all for drop E.
    Personally I think the 28-26" fanned type, or just straight 28", are much better. But it's not a hugely popular opinion.
    The 9-80 set is a great start - I'd go with that on any guitar really and tweak to taste from there

14. OW_Raygon

OW_Raygon SS.org Regular

Thank you very much for the answer, i'm recently trying to look for a >27" 7string but since it looks extremely difficult to find unless you go custom, i was wondering about alternative solutions. I'm not a 8string enthusiast, been there, done that, not my kind.

15. bostjan

It might be a little bit of a pain, if you are in Italy, but Agile and Belaguer have some >28" 7 string options at reasonable prices.

OW_Raygon likes this.
  16. OW_Raygon

OW_Raygon SS.org Regular

I know Agile and I can't find a 728 around; on Rondomusic I can only see 727.
    I tried building a Balaguer from the website, but for now a 28" 7string with a decent neck it's a little out of my budget, if you consider shipment and taxes.

17. bostjan

Rondo is all stopped up right now because of the virus.

You might have to find a used one if you need it soon. Here is one on eBay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=293560141640

18. OW_Raygon

OW_Raygon SS.org Regular

I have no hurry, but thanks for the tip.

19. WillyTheMLGPro

WillyTheMLGPro SS.org Regular

Looking for a string gauge for Db A E A D Gb on a 27.7 baritone.
    Looking for similar tension to a 10-52 pack of strings on a 25.5 scale guitar

20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

The tool on my website is useful for this :) If you mean the 25.5. scale guitar is in the same tuning, then you can multiply each gauge by 0.92
    9-48 of some kind