String joy strings are good?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by João Leal, May 15, 2019.

1. João Leal

João Leal SS.org Regular

Hi guys, i'm new at this forum as well for the seven string guitar world.
    Currently i have an LTD MH-17 with 0.010-0.59 stock strings, i like to do solos and bends like (Andy James, etc...) and i like to have that low bottom end for djenty stuff, i like Dmitry demyanenko tune , but i want to go as low as Drop G maximum. After a little explaning of what i play, i saw a brand of strings String joy and they have a lot of combinations i'm thinking on this ones String joy 7 string Heavy Bottom super light plus (.0095 – .013 – .016 – .028 – .038 – .050 – .062) i feel that gives a good feel on top for solos and bendy stuff and i have the 0.50 and 0.62 for the djenty parts , i tried 0.62 before and it went all the way to Drop G but a bit flappy. Can you guys give me your opinion and experience on this string gauge (.0095 – .013 – .016 – .028 – .038 – .050 – .062) for drop G/G#/A/A#/B? I've also tried the Ernie Ball Cobalt but i feel that the 7 string is right (0.62), but the others have to much tension for me and it is on Drop A.
    Thanks

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

They are great strings. I like that you can customise the sets for no upcharge, and the stock sets are well designed anyway.
    I suggest you increase the bottom string only when dropping.

I would suggest this as a starting point;
    https://www.stringjoy.com/guitarstr...ings/custom-7-string-electric-guitar-strings/
    10-48+62 - It's balanced for standard tuning. You can reduce the plains a bit like 9.5 if you like. To drop the bottom string, a 70 would feel roughly in line with the rest of the set (it would still be the loosest wound string!)
    This would give regular tension in drop A, light tension in drop G, and heavy tension in drop B.

For perspective, a 70 G will feel much like a 62 does in A. Similarly, a 70 A feels like a 62 B :) You can use that info to go a bit lighter if necessary

BananaDemocracy and João Leal like this.
  3. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

I've had good experience with 64-11 Stringjoy on my 26.5 scale length but that maybe too heavy for you. 10-64 may be at your ball park with a 25.5 scale length which is your guitar.

João Leal likes this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

BananaDemocracy and João Leal like this.
  5. João Leal

João Leal SS.org Regular

Wow Thanks for the fast response and for the tips your info was very precise and i will take it to consideration :)

6. João Leal

João Leal SS.org Regular

Thanks i will take a look at those gauge, 11's does not have heavy tension in Drop's?

7. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

It is a relatively balanced set but if you are used to 9 gauge at the top strings then it maybe quite heavier than expected.

João Leal likes this.
  8. João Leal

João Leal SS.org Regular

Ok thanks, i guess nothing better than just try them out :)

9. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

1) Stringjoy strings are fantastic! Best, most balanced strings I've ever played, in any gauge combination you want.

2) Email the guys at Stringjoy for their recommendation. The gauges may seem different than you'd expect, but they know their stuff, you can trust them!

10. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Love me some StringJoy, I run their 9.5-74 set almost verbatim (sometimes change the 56 to a 58)

Wish they'd have a 76 though :(

11. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I worked with Scott at String Joy last year and the experience was great. I knew approx the tensions I wanted and he helped me create two custom sets for drop c and drop a# on two 25.5 inch scale Jacksons. Both feel like 10 46’s and the tension and tone is outstanding. Highly recommended. They now have an online tension calculator. Check it out.

https://tension.stringjoy.com/

12. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Stringjoy is great. The strings and the CS are awesome.

13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Stringjoy fanboy here!

14. Pooty Skills

Pooty Skills Island Dweller

I still prefer Elixir for my normal scale guitars, but I started using Stringjoy for all my multiscales and my 8 string because of their amazing custom sets. They make it really easy to get a perfect feeling set of strings, even if you have weird tuning needs or non-standard scale lengths. Would recommend.