String gauges for low G on RGD2127z

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by guitarneeraj, Mar 1, 2014.

1. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp

Hey guys, I recently rejoined my old band and the tuning we're using is
    G C F Bb D G C
    I'm using an RGD2127z which is 26.5" scale length and I would really appreciate some suggestions for what string gauges would work best. I already wasted money in trying out an 8 string Slinky set without using the .010 string in the set and the string tension is just too much for the springs to handle. Although I could try getting harder springs, at the moment it's not an option as we have a gig in a week! Please help! Thanks in advance! :)

2. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Well regardless of string guage, you'll need it set up, and the trem re-balanced, since the tension is doubtless going to change.

Also that tuning doesn't seem /quite/ right to me, if you're looking to do C standard with a Low G, but if you're going for G Standard with a high C, then I guess it does make sense.

Regardless of which tuning, I'd say use a set that's 12-16-24-30-42-56-74. The 12 and 16 would be plain, every other string would be wound. That set would give you 15 pounds of tension on the plain strings, and 17 on the wound ones.

And fyi, there is a whole thread on this sort of thing over in the Beginners/FAQ subforum, right at the top of the page.

3. lukeshallperish

lukeshallperish Total Gear Slut

try a labella 11-70 set or i think circle k has a set thats like, 10-68 maybe? those would probably work well.

4. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

Im ....ing crazy but I actually like the Heavy Core 10-60 for drop G. Any gauge too big kinda makes the sounds dull to me. This is coming from someone who used to use a .68 Circle K on the low B exclusively.

5. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

I'd start with something like a .066 and work up from there.

6. guitarneeraj

guitarneeraj WindMarp

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm gonna try a regular 11 gauge 6 string set with a .074 on top..
    Sorry about the wrong subforum, I'd never checked the beginners/FAQ section before! D'oh!

7. Kharem

Kharem SS.org Regular

When I was playing in G# on 25.5 I found the baritone d'addario 68-14 set and just got a single 10 for the 7th and it was fine, problably not the most ideal, but it was a pretty easy set to get your hands on. I would have prefered circle k or something like that because would have been a fair bit better being able to get a set slightly better balanced set, but postage over here to aus is too much to warrant getting them unless I knew specifically which set I wanted and could get them in fairly large numbers. Honestly G on 26.5 is probably fine with anything from 60 to something in the mid 70's if you like a lot of tension.

8. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

70 to 80 for low G

9. notabumblebee

notabumblebee Active Member

If you're looking for drop G it'll be G-D-G-C-F-A-D

I favor a 10-52 set, and then a 74 on my low G. Always felt comfortable enough to me.

10. olsonuf

olsonuf Fretaholic

11. ambler3

ambler3 SS.org Regular

the 74 may work, but personally I think that 52s are a bit small for D standard. Drop D however they work great. I'd say at least 0.56s higher strings