String Gauge for Droptuning

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Hojo09, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Hojo09

Hojo09 SS.org Regular

Hello, so I am a complete string gauge noob, and have been neglecting my 7string for too long. A lot of music I'm wanting to play at the moment is Drop E or so. Unfortunately my guitar is only 25" scale, which sucks for me, but what can ya do

My question, is what the most comfortable gauges would be for drop E, if I still want to tune up closer to b standard as well?

2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

What gauge and tuning are you used to playing?

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Regardless of taste I would probably suggest a 74 as it will be very tight but not utterly insane close to B (pretty normal in G-A), and loose but at least not too thick and dark on that scale length, when in E.
    For the rest of the set - what are the highest and lowest tunings and the gauges you'd usually use for B/E standard?

4. PRS_Baritone_Vito

PRS_Baritone_Vito SS.org Regular

One thing you might run into is the tuning peg for your low string won't be able to take a really thick string. You may need to have the hole drilled out a little bit to accommodate it. I ran into that problem on one of my 27" baritones. It wouldn't take a 74 gauge. That was a little shocking since I figured the tuning peg would be a little larger in that guitar.

5. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

This will give you a reasonably good approximation of what tensions you want to be at. Start with a set you like in a tuning you like, for instance 10-46 in an E or Eb tuning, and then tune down, and find the gauges which give you similar tensions.

http://stringtensionpro.com/

6. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

That's been broken for a couple of weeks.

Nik/ likes this.
  7. AndiKravljaca

AndiKravljaca SS.org Regular

8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i like 9s in drop a.

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Another one to add to the list. This one is the most useful IMO because you can put in your own specific gauges and scale length (multiscale included like 25.5-27" for example).
    http://www.stringulator.com/