String gauge for AEADEAD

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Foxjade14, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Foxjade14

Foxjade14 New Member

So I recently picked up an Ibanez RG7421PB and am seriously loving it. I picked up the tab book for Tesseracts polaris and most of the songs are in this AEADEAD tuning. The guitar has
    10-59 strings, with a 25.5" scale and I don't think those strings will handle this tuning very well if drop b isn't very stable. What would gauge would you guys reccomend me use? I like using 12-60 for drop c on my 6 strings if that helps at all.

Thanks!

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I use 11-70 and tune to Bb standard. It works great. I also have a wound 24 for the 3rd string. 11-13-wound 24-30-44-56-70. I know it will goto A no problem also. I use to use a 74 and it was also good. On a 25.5 scale too.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

My site has a calculator that can translate each string for you to suggest a new gauge. A 71 A would be the same tension as your 60 C which is a regular feel. I wouldn't go much looser though a 68 might be good for a bit more brightness and snap on that scale length. Basically 10-46+70 is good for drop A, then you'll want to swap the 17 for a 21w, then a 14 and 11 or so on top.

4. Foxjade14

Foxjade14 New Member

Thanks for the info, that sounds like something I'll be trying in the next few days. mind sharing what brand strings you use?

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

GHS Boomers. I order custom sets from them 6 sets at a time. The 11 and 13 are sub zeros, the 24 is a bnr 24 which tames the twang though it is a softer tone, the rest are boomers, the 70 is a double wound i think. More info is I'm using 5 springs at high tensin and high action with a lopRo trem which I float. I've been toggling the idea after using these custom sets for years of eventually trying a 67 rather than 70 and a non bnr wound 22 instatead of a bnr 24 and a 42 rather than a 44, just to see how it works and if I can make it even better.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I'm using 9-64 Winspears for the Bb version of that tuning on a 26.5 scale.

The bottom four strings are pretty tight but the highest three are fairly loose with the G (or what would be the G) being the loosest.

Sounds like you prefer more tension so maybe bump up to 10-70?

7. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Depends on whether you want to stay in that tuning or switch between that and other tunings.
    ?

8. Foxjade14

Foxjade14 New Member

I think for the time being, that guitar will be in that tuning for a while since I really want to work on learning my favorite bits from the tab book, and maybe mess around and learn how to use the tuning.

9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Am currently using a set of La Bella 70 - 11 in A standard on a 26.5" scale 7 string, and they're perfect for me. I would recommend them as a good compromise set.

c7spheres likes this.