String bending etiquette?(D string)

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by bloodjunkie, Nov 24, 2020.

1. bloodjunkie

bloodjunkie SS.org Regular

I know you're always supposed to bend the high strings upwards, the low E and A probably not so much as you'll push them off the fretboard, but what's a good habit to build for the D string? It seems like it can go pretty far in either direction and I'm never really sure which way I should go when doing big bends?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It doesn't really matter. Personally, I always aim whichever direction goes from the string to the center line of the fretboard. For a seven string, this lines up with the D string, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    It matters with the context you're playing with. For example if in the same instance you're also playing G3 and B3 and strings, then I'd go bending towards the bass strings. If on the other hand, you're also playing the lower strings, then I'd probably go towards the hi strings. Context is, in most cases, everything... one must adapt to the present situations and be sharp to the constantly evolving environment... ... we're still talking about playing guitar, right? :D

4. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

For certain large bends bending the G and B string downwards (towards your feet) is actually easier to do physically. Guthrie Govan does it all the time, it’s one of his things.

So just do what works for the context of the moment.

5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If it doesn’t slip off the fretboard just bend whatever way you want.

fantom likes this.
  6. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Pull the whammy bar up to bend up... unless you have it towards to strap pin, then push the whammy bar down if you want to bend up...

This is the bigger point. When I first learned guitar, I remember being overly picky about technique being perfect. I assumed the way I was taught was the way everyone was taught and anyone doing it differently was wrong.

Turns out there is no wrong way to do anything. The only thing that matters is the sound and your tendon health. So bend whatever way makes you think it sounds good.

I bend the G and B strings down a lot. An example, that opening bend in One by Metallica. I bend that G string down to get that full step bend. Why? Because for whatever reason I'm more accurate and fluid pulling the string down then pushing it up. So it sounds better and I do it.

Obviously the B string is a bit of a problem for a bend of a step, so sometimes I still bend up, but I can just as easily choose to use the whammy bar or move the entire phrase up 4 frets so that I can play the bend on the G string instead. There is no "right" way.