Straws Pulled at Random - Meshuggah (Instrumental Cover)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by OliOliver, Jul 29, 2020.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Hey guys, spent the past few weeks working on a new cover! Love this album and this track, and wanted to record another 8 string cover before I sell my 8. As it turns out, I found it more playable to just put some heavy-ass strings on my Stef 7 string and record with that, so in a way I'm mimicking the original recording method. Not because my hands aren't big enough to handle a THICC 8 string or anything ;)

Using the Neural plugins for this one. I'm finding guitar tone being my starting off point for mixes, and if I have a good one to start with I'm ending up with way better mixes overall, as opposed to my previous mixes where I mic'd up a quiet valve amp and spent hours trying to fix a not-so-great tone in the mix. At least I know I need to work on my micing technique.

Pretty proud of this one, got a guy working on some vocals for it but I didn't want to wait any longer to post this. Recorded the guitars 4 or 5 times from scratch because the rhythms are such a pain, although not too hard at all once you have it memorized.

Lemme know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/joeoliver164/straws-pulled-at-random-meshuggah-cover-instrumental

slan likes this.
  2. slan

slan SS.org Regular

Sounds killer. Love the guitar tones, especially for the solo.