.strandberg Prog 7 factory refurbished strangeness

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Jonah Samuel, May 10, 2020.

1. Jonah Samuel

Jonah Samuel SS.org Regular

Hey all! My first post on sevenstring, as I’ve just recently pulled the trigger on my first seven, which was a factory refurbished .strandberg Prog 7. Incredible guitar, and great service so far from the company, but since there were a couple of oddities with the guitar, I thought I’d ask what you’d make of them.

1. It’s a bit on the heavy side 6,33lbs, which isn’t “heavy” per se, but far from the 5lbs I was expecting based on their specs.

2. The neck is not what’s supposed to come on a prog 7. Don’t know what to make of it, but sort of looks like Wenge colour-wise, but the grain doesn’t. Might even be roasted dark maple. And the fillets look like ash, but could also be maple.

I’m a bit in two minds about the thing. It plays and sounds great, but the weight does bother me a bit, and the neck really befuddles me.

Attached Files:

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

definitely not wenge. looks like maple imo, which would be in line with most of the necks they use.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  3. Jonah Samuel

Thanks KnightBrolaire!

It does seem to be quarter sawn maple, but the color really isn’t what it’s supposed to be. Nor should there actually be any visible fillets, only the carbon fibre reinforcements. ‍♂️

4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

The neck is supposed to be roasted maple so it looks fine for those bits, but the laminates are supposed to be some form of carbon fibre I believe so it looks odd with the white whatever it is wood.

These questions are best asked to Strandberg or the wherever you bought it from. If it's not what you ordered, they might work something out.

5. Jonah Samuel

Yup, I am actually waiting for a reply from them. I’ve just been rummaging the forums for a possible explanation, but coming up short.

Also if there are any owners of the same model, I’d be interested about the weight.

6. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

those approx weight 5lbs is garbage they put it on all their models

there is no way a 7 string with maple top, metal covered fishmans, and trem weighs the same as a 6 string non maple top, reg humbucker, no trem

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

over 6 pounds seems heavy as hell for that model. but the trem could drive up the weight I guess? seems weird that the trem assembly would weigh 1.5 pounds though.

But maybe? my 6 trem and all 7 hardtail are around the same weight. the 7 is a bit lighter actually.

Jonah Samuel likes this.
  8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Weight can fluctuate a huge amount based on the specific cut of wood. I wouldn't put too much stock in those estimates. For example, Sweetwater posts the weight for each individual guitar in stock and you can see how much even the exact same model varies.

AkiraSpectrum and Jonah Samuel like this.
  9. Jonah Samuel

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@Avedas: Actually I had a look earlier for this very reason, but didn't find those individual specs on the Prog 7 product page.

10. Jonah Samuel

Yup, this is something that's boggled me as well. That's why I'd love to hear from another prog 7 owner.

11. diagrammatiks

you know those pickups aren't made out of pig iron right...

Here's the thing I think they've been getting a big heavier.

My os seven with abasi's weights exactly 5.1 pounds

My os six trem with metal covered (lol) fish mans is exactly 4.9 pounds.

my salen which is alder but has the same chambering is 5.5 pounds.

You're guitar is a fat boi.

6.3 puts it as heavy as my neck through 5 piece neck headless which has a body that's almost twice the size of a Strandberg.

That being said they do fluctuate. I've seen some that weigh 6.5-6.8 pounds,

12. Jonah Samuel

Well, that is quite interesting... Thanks @diagrammatiks! Can't wait to see what they reply.

That neck color and construction is also a big mystery. I know speculating is quite pointless, but I'm guessing the guitar was returned due to a neck issue, and just had the neck replaced. Why it looks like it does, I have no idea. However I do think they should have stated it clearly in the specsheet and pictures, as I don't regard that as minor blemishes that do not affect the overall look.

13. diagrammatiks

honestly thinking about it like if I got a Strandberg that was over 6 pounds I would return it.

I don't even like playing my salen since it feels like such a pig compared to my other 2.

Jonah Samuel likes this.
  14. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

My OS7 has maple which is sandwiched with the carbon fillets but also walnut strips where your lighter wood is. I am betting your neck is Roasted maple and plain maple strips with carbon reinforcement.

Jonah Samuel likes this.
  15. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

I agree. The neck on my Classic 6 looks similar to yours and reminds me of rosewood. I'd say it's super roasted maple. Tasty neck man, love the plain maple fillets.

Jonah Samuel likes this.
  16. Dayn

Dayn silly person

My Prog 7 is a bit over 5 pounds or so. But that neck... man, I haven't seen that before.

I can't be of any help, but here's an old terrible photo of my Prog 7's neck for comparison:

[​IMG]

Jonah Samuel likes this.
  17. Jonah Samuel

Ok, so first reply from strandberg came. They're telling me to chill out over the shade of the neck, as roast degrees and end colors vary. Then again regarding the fillets and weight they were less sure about, and said they'd have to ask around.

We'll see...

It's a pickle. As mentioned, the sound and feel is great, but the lack of lightweightness with added neck-heavyness is hard not to get bothered about. Then again this is a factory refurbish, and hence noticeably cheaper than a one off the shelf.

So I guess the (eternal) question is: How much are the above qualities worth in the end.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Not to be rude, but is this an investment or a guitar? If it plays and sounds great, what is the problem? The only thing that matters is what else you would have bought with the same money. If you don't like the weight, return it for that reason and communicate only that reason to the place you bought it. The neck shouldn't even be a discussion point unless you are just curious. Conflating both in your communication probably makes you come across in a bad light. As you said, it is a factory refurb for much cheaper. It should come down to whether or not you want to keep it and nothing else.

Tl;dr if they are telling you to chill about the neck, you might be sending the wrong signal to them.

Edika, Ataraxia2320, benny and 3 others like this.
  19. Jonah Samuel

Fair point, and well put.

So I'll try to reply to that, even though I don't disagree with you at all:

First of all, I should have made it clear that I bought the guitar straight from Strandberg, and that's why I'm communicating directly with them. Why I'm being picky about the neck is that it's not the one that was shown in the picture on their site. Coming also from the product world, to me factory refurbished doesn't mean inferior product. For me, it means a product that can't be sold "as-new" because it's been returned and may have some minor cosmetic issues, or has had a repair done to it, but is otherwise like a "new" one — correct weight and all.

Secondly, to the investment/guitar comment: It is definitely a guitar. And to me, a tool, and potentially a great one at that. I am a professional who makes a living with music, and the ergonomics were a big factor why I was interested in Strandberg. The reason I'm even speculating about this is because it plays well and sounds great, but eg. does not balance well and feels heavy on my neck, which I'm dissapointed at. I am most likely going to return it, and maybe even dish out for a new one, but I'm just dissappointed if that's the only way I can be sure I'm getting what I paid for. To me it shouldn't be like that. Even with the discount it's still quite a lot.

Hope that made sense.

20. anthony.drake

anthony.drake SS.org Regular

Unless measured and agreed upon in advance, the concept of "correct weight" regarding guitars is not a thing.

Ataraxia2320, Masoo2 and benny like this.