Strandberg neck through production model release date

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Musiscience, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

During winter NAMM 2019, neck through production models were announced for 6 string Bodens. There was no news of update since then, it only mentions late 2019 release.

Does anybody have an update on this?

I can't wait for a price of a release date. This was my most anticipated release for this year, but Strandberg are very silent on it. I was eyeing the swedish CS neck through models before it closed down, but they were extremely expensive (more than I wish to spend on a guitar).

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

They haven't announced anything in ages about the neck through. same with the 8 string singularity.

Musiscience likes this.
  3. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

Man, Sweetwater had Boden Standards with a wait time of two weeks that turned into the end of November. Nobody knows what’s happening to the production guitars.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I should have grabbed that cs when they were available.

Iirc they were only like 4500.

With the original and prog sitting at 2400 now and the boden bass at 3k I don’t see the neck through being under 3k.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

It’s always been like this.

oremus91 likes this.
  6. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Is this going to be a $4000 Indonesian guitar? :lol:

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Eh, I have no particular interest in a neck thru anymore. The boden heel IS kind of bulky, but not a deal breaker. I just like the ability to remove the neck on the off chance I have to shim it to help lower the action. I've spent too much time lowering bridges and grinding down saddles on expensive instruments to seek out neck thru builds any more.

I WOULD, however, like to see that 8 string singularity come to fruition!

Solodini and aesthyrian like this.
  8. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

This.
    Also I can't speak from personal experience, nor am I saying random people on the internet are correct with this assessments, but a few of the semi-recent complaints about the IndoBergs on the Facebook group seem to be about the wood settling in odd ways. Distinctly remembering at least one twisted neck, maybe a couple unplayable levels of fret sprout? I don't pay too too much attention to the details they were on a QC rampage at the time in the group. Either way for the price of what's almost a CS from a lot of smaller luthiers, whatever they're going to charge doesn't inspire confidence. (I'm also saying that like I'm not going to jump on the first cheap-ish used one that pops up...)
    Also this.

Wolfhorsky and Hollowway like this.
  9. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Same I don't really see neck thru as better than bolt on, I definitely would not pay extra for it

Wolfhorsky, aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  10. Musiscience

I have no good functional reason of liking neck through. It’s just something that is appealing to me for some reason.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

"too late"

It took them six years to figure out how to make them bigger (bass) and they still haven't figured out wider for some of them (Salen), nor how to build them consistently outside of Asia. I don't see the neck-through stuff coming down the pike in a timely fashion.

They must be printing money with the current import Boden line to not really care much about new models.

12. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Which of their 147 different shops and lines will be making this one?

...and this ^

13. Musiscience

Part of me wishes that a much bigger company acquire the design or the name and does a better job at producing them. Schecter would make a lot of sense as they already have import Asian models down to a science and a more than excellent custom shop in the US.

14. MaxOfMetal

As long as folks keep buying ho-hum quality Indobergs for $$$$ I don't see Ola selling out.

Frankly, stopping USA/EU production is making them a fortune. The overhead and margins on the Indo stuff easily blows the CS stuff out of the water.

They're just keeping the J-Bodens around for the niche market that happens to be local.

Perhaps down the road they'll license stuff out. That's probably the best solution.

Musiscience likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

as long as they keep selling like all 5 they make every month

16. JaxoBuzzo

JaxoBuzzo ....ing river pirate

what do you mean by "wider", exactly?

17. MaxOfMetal

More strings.

18. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I love the idea of trying out that neck. I'm not investing the ticket price on that new to try a weird looking neck. And I'm certainly not buying an Indo guitar for what they want. I'm finding the change from the original licensing scheme interesting when the amount of money involved increased exponentially.

19. MaxOfMetal

The whole open license thing is great, until you want to run a sustainable business.

The shift occurred between Strandberg being a company selling a concept or idea into a company selling a product.

I think they realized that no cares about the originator of a guitar design, folks want cheap and they want quality, and there were plenty of entities out there more than happy to supply both in a capacity that Strandberg hasn't or can't.

I remember a lot of the early Creative Commons builds from various luthiers being absolutely killer, for about what an Indo Strandberg runs now.

The good news is, these pop up at Guitar Center now. So it's getting easier to try out the neck without throwing down real money.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man can’t wait until I run into one in the wild so I can see if I like the neck. The singularity was the only import prices where I was willing to try it ~$1k initially. But being MIC for a new model/factory made me hold off for a while and then I ended up picking up a GOC so not sure how much “better” a singularity would be.