Strandberg Boden Standard/Classic 7 or Ormsby Goliath 7 Copper

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ChugThisBoy, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Hi pals. I'm going to buy a new axe for myself and at this point I'm trying to decide which one I should get. They both cost around €1750 (or €1650 in case of Classic model) new. The thing is, I never played strandberg before and I have Ormsby TX 7 that I like. Strandberg is my first choice just of pure curiosity how the Endurneck is feeling and I like the body shape more. On the other hand, I have one Ormsby now and I kinda know what to expect, I think.

Do any of you have experiences with both axes or maybe someone can tell me the pros/cons of both of them? I'm just trying to make a decision and I though somebody here will help because you always do :) Thanks in advance!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

for a seven i'd take the ormsby if you want the longer scale length.

3. ChugThisBoy

The scale on strandberg is perfectly fine and it fits my needs. The one that I have on the TX is a little bit too much for me

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

well then...it's gonna be the same on the Goliath innit.

5. ChugThisBoy

So, strandberg it is then. I see that you have (or had) the OS7. How is it?

6. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Just to add my $.02, I haven't tried an ormsby yet, but the endurneck is THICK. I'm more of a fan of thinner necks, but some people love it. It's kinda hard to explain without trying it for yourself. Not sure where you are in the world, but they've been stocking up more and more shops globally, so see if there's some kind of boutique vendor selling them near you. Heck, they just got a deal in the US with Guitar Center to stock their instruments. I'd honestly recommend trying the endurneck yourself, cause it could make or break it for any potential buyer.

7. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Edit: mobile's being weird, mods please delete this

8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

He's in Poland, so it might be tough for him to popover to a GC to try one out.

9. ChugThisBoy

Yup. I live in 700.000-ish city yet we have like 1-2 decent guitar shops and when I asked for strandbergs I had to explain what the brand is, so..

Hmm, well it depends what kind of thicc neck is this. I've had PRS SE Mark Holcomb and it has kinda thick neck and I loved it to be honest. So it doesn't really bother me

10. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I had a Strandberg with the Endureneck, and even though the neck is thick, it's completely different feel-wise compared to a traditional fat neck like you'd have on an old Strat or 50s style Les Paul neck, or the PRS SE Holcomb you referenced. Because of the way the planes are cut into the neck, it never felt "big" to me, just different. I really enjoyed the guitar, but I went with 8 strings, instead of 7, and that was a mistake on my part, so I eventually unloaded it.

11. ChugThisBoy

Yeah I was thinking about getting the Classic 8 but I don't think I need the additional string and I was worried that the neck will be too thick for me then.

12. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

I just got a Boden Classic 6 and I think it's a more than decent guitar for the money, so I'll cast my vote for the Classic 7.

I have a Boden OS8 too, and I think the endurneck feels really nice on both the 6 & 8 string, so I'd imagine the 7 feels just as comfortable. I know some folks don't get along with the thickness or angles, but I honestly never thought twice about either of these factors since I started playing strandbergs.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

the endurneck is polarizing. I like thicker necks but thought the 8string version was like playing on a twisted 2x4. Easily the least comfortable neck I've ever played, and I'm not very picky about neck shapes. Both of the os8s I had were pretty lackluster for the price and the input jack location is trash imo. Perhaps the 6 and 7 string versions are more manageable.
    I also owned a goliath 8 and liked everything except the terrible upper fret access (I have quite large hands) and the cutout near the tuner felt too small to cradle my leg. YMMV as smaller people don't have any issues with the design. If you have a bigger build then you'll prob be in the same boat as me.

I have a more indepth comparison in my goliath ngd thread

14. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

The new endureneck is thinner than the one on the OS series.

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  15. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

My 0.02 about the endureneck and Strandberg body shape.

Boden OS and old models have a significantly thicker neck with more pronounced edges than current production models (classic, salen, prog, metal, fusion). Singularity has significantly thinner and rounder neck than all of them.

I’ve owned a Metal, Prog and Singularity (7 strings all of them). I mostly play prog metal and all three guitars are (predictably) great for that in terms of neck shape and scale length. Sidenote: I sold the Metal to get the Prog (tremolo).

Since they closed the custom shop, the only reason I bought the singularity is because it was the only way to have a thinner endureneck and 25.5 scale length with straight frets on a 7 string, which made playing wide stretches and tapping arpeggios simpler for me than on the Prog and Metal (25.5-26.5 fan and thicker sharper neck than Singularity).

The body shape is awesome to play in classical position (guitar on left knee sitting). I’ve owned a Vader 7 and it was annoying to play in that position. The weight of the Strandberg is also something I appreciate.

Short version: the body and neck shape of current production model is why K play Strandberg guitars.

@KnightBrolaire What model 8 string did you play ?

16. ChugThisBoy

I've just got the Classic 7 yesterday :) Delivery should be around wednesday next week. GAS is strong with this one, trust me. I cannot wait to try it out.
    Also, do any of you know, if I'll feel the need of changing the pickups, will it be possible to wire Fishmans in there somehow? I think the biggest challenge would be the battery spot since Classic has passive wiring

17. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

I have an Original 7 string from Strandberg and very honestly it's truly one of the best playing guitars i have ever had. It resonates like no other guitar and adapting to the endure neck was a breeze to me, despite me having small hands.

The downsides are that the higher strings dig into the 0-fret quite fast and that the jack isn't in the best spot to play in classical position, which is easily solved but frustrating none the less. The birdseye fretbpard and flamed top are also hit or miss sometimes, mine is not very figured while some get magnificent pieces of wood. Beyond that, i have no complaints, It's super comfortable and plays like a dream. It also sounds very beautiful for pretty much anything you want to do, notes sound clear like a bell and it came pretty much perfect out of the box.

ChugThisBoy likes this.
  18. ChugThisBoy

Uhh I'm sooo excited to try out the strandy

19. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I think you made the right decision! Strandberg are really comfortable to play once you get over the initial weirdness of the angular neck. I love my Boden 8, it's so small and light, but so resonant and powerful.

As far as changing pickups, I think you have the option of choosing whether you want Fishman Fluences in them at the point of ordering as a standard option, maybe check with your dealer.

20. ChugThisBoy

Yeah, I'm not really into Fishmans these days, I just know that they exist and are pretty awesome from what I've read and heared. I'm gonna check out if they have some versions without the battery. But I want totry out the stocks, maybe there will be no need for repleacing them