Strandberg Boden Masvidalien Cosmo? How is it?

Jackillin

In ignorant love with ERG
Reaction score
So I've been hunting around for another Ibanez AZ. I love the one I have but been doing a lot of drop tunings & want another 6-string to keep in reg tuning. Found another AZ exactly like mine in a different colour for a decent price, but then I asked to try the shops Strandberg Masvidalien Cosmo...and turns out this particular one is on sale for a huge discount, maybe it's ex-display or they just haven't been able to move it. I really like how Strandberg feel & would probably be perfect for keeping in Drop C for the metal stuff I'm learning right now & I'd love to have a hard-tail for my drop tuning metal stuff, then put my AZ back in standard tuning as it's strengths are more in it's versatility rather than being a metal machine.

Anyone got any experience or comments on the Strandberg? I've tried a few Strandbergs before, love the neck, I already play multi-scale guitars but I've never thought about buying a guitar with 1 pickup before & the bridge was a bit strange for muting with...but maybe that's just something to get used to. Would love some feedback before I decide either way. The AZ is slightly discounted with a payment plan & have to wait 3 months, the Strandberg is almost 50% off, normal price is really out of my budget.

Jackillin

Reaction score
Well I have an AZ already. Just trying to decide of getting another AZ or this strange Strandberg metal machine. 🤣

Jackillin

Reaction score
Is the AZ your only guitar?
No, :shred: I have a American Fender but I really dislike playing it - gonna try sell it.
Then I have a 7 string Charvel & an 8 string Harley Benton (soon to be replaces by an 8 Aristides 🤘)
So yeah, my AZ is the only 6 string that I play.

Jackillin

Reaction score
I guess, even though I like the feeling of the Strandberg neck & I'm fine with fanfrets, it's pretty out of my experience range, a single EMG pup & the tone knob/split thingy...and headless...which I love, can take it on trips with me. Hmmm I'm convincing myself more and more now! LOL
It's hard to tell if I'm going to like it before committing to buying after just playing it a little in the store, if anyone has had one or similar and can give some feedback, I mean I checked out some YT review etc..

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say if you like how it plays and liked the sound then go for it. Stranbergs seem to hold their value so if you decide you don't like it down the line you can sell it with no losses.

I don't mind single hum guitars, even though I don't own one currently. I mainly play with the bridge pickup anyway. Plus if you have other HH guitars or HSS, then you're not missing out on neck pickups.

th3drap3ryfalls

Guitar & Tech Nerd
Reaction score
My brother has the masvidalien and he loves it, if I recall it has some emg eq switch so you can essentially mimic a neck pickup tone and switch to it if you miss the neck pickup

Jackillin

Reaction score
My brother has the masvidalien and he loves it, if I recall it has some emg eq switch so you can essentially mimic a neck pickup tone and switch to it if you miss the neck pickup
Thanks, always good to hear that someone enjoys playing it! Yes...the tone knob does some cutting or boosting depending on the position.