Strandberg Boden J7 vs Jackson Juggernaut

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by apexiwildchild, Jun 12, 2019.

1. apexiwildchild

apexiwildchild sevenstringer

hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted something here so, here we go.I've been in the market for a new guitar. It's been a very long time that i haven't spend my money on it (been saving my ass all these years). So, i want something that is going to make my hard earn money worth it. I've been eyeing on those two models.

so i need some opinion from you guys which one should i be getting. I own a Boden OS7 and i really like how it plays and in the same time, I've been wanting a Juggernaut HT7 since its debut. Maybe some of you guys have/had a J series boden and Juggernaut HT7 that you guys can share opinion and thoughts about those two models?

thanks in advance guys!

These are the two models that I've been eyeing now. I'm leaning more towards the Boden J7 because it's easier to travel around with but the fact that it uses a flame maple veneer on top of the maple cap kinda throw me off
    DSC_2428-8.jpg sub_03-3132608001_l.jpg

MrHelloGuitar and AdenM like this.
  2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I've had so many bad QC issues with the HT7s I'd say the Boden is a safer bet.

3. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

I just got by first strandberg today (I'll probably post a NGD tomorrow) and it's surprisingly amazing. Super light and resonant and the endurneck feels great. I'm also a whore for figured tops, even if it's veneer over maple, so I'd go with the boden in a heartbeat.

apexiwildchild likes this.
  4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

The J-bodens I've checked out have all been pretty decent, so I'd go that route personally.

Ben Pinkus and apexiwildchild like this.
  5. apexiwildchild

Yeah I’ve been hearing that qc matters quite a number of times too.was it bad on yours?

6. apexiwildchild

Congratz on your new strandy man!which one did you get?the J series too?does the weight comparable to the chambered one’s?

Yeah man.I’ve got the opportunity to check them out my self during my last visit to tokyo.they’re indeed breathtaking! By decent,in your opinion, is it worth the price point?

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Veneer is still real wood, just thinner. It's not like it's wood-grain printed plastic laminate.

8. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

Nah, it's a chambered USA custom shop Boden. The weight has to be around 5 pounds. I don't have a scale to measure it exactly though.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well I bought 2 M2Ms so I actually feel there's a justified premium in the unique experience of a different design. And within the strandberg line-up, the J-series are the best to me. Negligible difference in quality to M2M -- while M2Ms might be better overall, there's many aspects of construction that the J-series just do better. I think the J-series look better than a lot of M2Ms, and sound just as good. So they basically get my full endorsement. If Ola just focused purely on that line it'd be a smart move imo.

The veneer thing doesn't really bother me. (a) I think it's thicker than most, (b) the strandberg figured "tops" are thinner than most, (c) it's all aesthetics anyway. They look great, so if they can use less wood to do so, seems like a win-win. It's not like the usual import veneer where one billet turns into like 50 paper thin tops with no depth in the figure.

And they probably have a much more consistently good fretwork / neck pockets compared to the Juggernaut.

10. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Id go Jackson just because it will feel and play much different than the Boden for more variety.

11. apexiwildchild

That’s nice man.Yeah been searching in the net about the weight and it should be around that

Good elaboration man. Gotta agree on your points there and yeah, i can say that they have a more consistent fretworks/neck pockets as that is the most problematic area that i’ve been hearing off of the juggz.

Good one bro.This would add into a plus point for the juggernaut too

12. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

I would go for the Bodem if I had to choose.

However it all depends on your preferences, you already own a Bodem, so for versaility it's nice to go for the Jackson, they look, sound and play great!

In my case I have a 7 string Claas and a Jackson B7MG and love both guitars. Since I have the Claas I almost not use the Jackson anymore. It is big and heavy, so if I go to the band I take the Claas, playing at home while sitting I prefer the Claas, etc.

I own a overload headless ergo thing 8 string (little similar to the Bodem), and I want to buy a second 8 string. I love a 8 string tele, just for the looks, super classy. I'm only afraid I will not play it much because in mine experience the headless / ergo guitars just feel better, are lighter etc.

It's a thing to consider if you buy the jackson, how much will you use it?

13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I've played a lot of J-bodens. There's quite a bit of variation in them, but that's mainly on the aesthetics and their resulting price points. You can get a bare bones one for a bit under 300k JPY which should be pretty significantly cheaper than the Jackson, but there are plenty of J-bodens over twice that price. They're top of the line guitars so as far as value goes I don't have any issues with them, and veneers don't bother me at all personally (except those Indo Ibanez ones that look like complete ass).

14. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Was going to comment but I think Narad has summed it up quite well.

I've owned both, though the Strandy is an Indo. Not that you're considering it, but the Indo Strandberg I've got is fantastic quality for an Indonesian guitar. The experience in playing a Strandberg is refreshing, it's portable so I can take it everywhere and I do; I'm at work right now with it on my lap. If you've play a good superstrat, you've played the HT7 minus the flatish radius.

15. apexiwildchild

Yeah that what i thought of.getting the boden because it’s easier for me take it around with and i probably dont have to check it in when i’m traveling with airlines. I wanted the jackson because the fanboy in me said so lol but yeah,most probably i wont be playing it that much since i freaking love my boden

It’s nicer to hear something from someone who actually played a j’s haha but yeah i can get bare bones one under 300k JPY but paying that much,i thought that i’ll just add a bit to get something fancier than that (vibrant colors/tops etc) and by paying that much, i’m thinking that i should be getting proper flame top.not just veneer. But hey that just my preference and i know that even veneer nowadays looks awesome.so the acceptance kinda grows slowly on me and of course,except for mii ibanez.that’s just like you’ve said,complete ass hahaha

16. apexiwildchild

They are refreshing tho! The first time i lay my hands on one, i totally fell in love with it.I was afraid that i might not be liking the neck but I was wrong.I really2 love it.makes playing effortless and that’s the only guitars i play now. I’ve played quite a few good superstrats before and been thinking of what would it feels like playing a HT7.You’ve enlighten something up so thank you so much for the input man.But I’ve got to say, playing the Boden makes me thinking of selling all my superstrats and buy more Boden lol

17. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I'd grab the J-Series while you can. While the headless market is niche, I'd assume that the resale value for it would remain higher than the Juggernaut, which is pretty dime-a-dozen now.

18. Passtheapathy

Passtheapathy SS.org Regular

Never played a Biden, but the QC issues on the Juggernauts are a big issue. I’ve had three USA Juggernauts and each had issues that were totally unacceptable for guitars at that price point.

19. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Nah bro, because they're handmade they're allowed to have horrible flaws, also the cheap ones are cheap and allowed to have horrible flaws :lol:

People on here are insanely defensive about these guitars. It's ridiculous that people accept finish flaws on $3.5k masterbuilt guitars lmao

Velokki likes this.
  20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Masterbuilt's a laugh.