Strandberg Boden in Japan!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rockstarazuri, Nov 24, 2014.

1. da_ue

da_ue New Member

I can find only Washberg(too expensive!) in Japan now.
    I found used Koreaberg on digimart two month ago though...
    Good luck on your trip!

2. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I believe there was only a small handful of the Japan market spec Boden OS line built first and they all sold out quickly. I know because I tried to find one myself. :lol: No idea if/when more will pop up, but the current spec seems to be what we received in the US (active EMG's instead of passive Lace pickups) and those are still available from the Strandberg site. I haven't seen anything posted by the Japanese dealers saying they had more on the way, perhaps you should email some of them (Ishibashi and Ikebe-Gakki both had some, not sure who else was selling them?) and ask if they have more coming?

3. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

Will do, thanks! If someone sees an OS7 or a good deal on a washberg in Tokyo or Kyoto please PM me ;)

4. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

strandberg

To save you some time and frustration of searching, these are about the only strandbergs you can find in Japan now.

5. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm a daily visitor of digimart these days ;) , hope some special deal will come out just at the right time!

6. Aaron316

Aaron316 SS.org Regular

Hopefully this will lead to Washburn custom shop to stepping up there game. I speak from first hand experience from the S7G alone with Washburn models I have bought. Both was taken care of customer service has ALWAYS been on point. I 100% believe in Ola's work, with Mr. Yoon in the picture. I think things will only get better Strindberg* I wish I could be part of something like this. I see really really big things down the road for the brand.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

The Washburn shop has been fantastic for a long time, dude :cool: All the builds I've had from them have been fantastic and it's made me jump on board and get my 7th from them. That should say enough :D

8. Guitarrags

Guitarrags SS.org Regular

I've been playing my Washburn since Oct of last year. Still flawless and will own it for life!

9. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Despite your post being incredibly hard to read/follow, if you're trying to say the Washburn CS folks aren't putting out quality Bodens, my current CL7 would beg to differ. I won't whitewash it and say they've ALL been perfect as there were neck alignment issues with some of the earlier Masvidaliens (which appears to have been sorted out?) and some folks had issues posted on here, but mine is one of the recently-built guitars and it's absolutely fantastic.

Agreed. I pulled the trigger on another Boden 6'er CS built by Washburn so obviously if they sucked, I wouldn't be so eager to grab another build from them as well. :lol:

Also while I love my Boden OS a ton, I still feel the overall quality of the Washboden is higher. I'm sure the guys set on the OS line can prove it to themselves that it's not worth the cost difference, but IMHO I don't feel like I paid extra for nothing. :shrug: It's a nicer guitar, not by a landslide, but the quality difference IS still there.

10. Guitarrags

Guitarrags SS.org Regular

From a tone perspective you notice any differences?

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Well a little hard to say since the specs a touch different on the two. :) The USA build is a CL7 so it has a Maple Top + Mahogany body and a Cocobolo neck plus I upgraded the pickups to passives (BKP Juggernauts). The OS 7 is the standard Maple Top + Swamp Ash body and a Maple neck and fretboard with Lundgren M7C's. The tone on the OS 7 is a bit brighter as expected for that wood combo, the attack and tightness are substantially improved beyond the CL7 but most of that is the Lundgrens. I've found they are some of THE tightest pickups under high gain imaginable. That low B on the OS just sounds incredibly defined. The Juggernauts in the CL7 are no slouch, but by comparison they are slightly rounded in the low end and part of that could absolutely be the body and neck woods.

The finish on the Washboden seems a bit nicer too, I don't know if they're spraying the exact same stuff on the OS line but it doesn't feel the same to me. The grain on the mahogany feels a bit smoother to the touch and appearance, almost like a quality oil finish but you can still see it's protected. Conversely, the OS finish looks almost like it was sprayed with clear and then buffed to satin if that makes sense? I don't know if that affects things as well but the CL7 seems to resonate like crazy, and while the OS7 obviously still reverberates quite well itself (think most of that is the chambering) I feel like the CL7 rings out/vibrates a bit more. The edge of the fretboard and the fret ends both feel a bit smoother on the CL7 too (the fret ends are rounded and polished superbly on my Washboden).

12. Aaron316

Aaron316 SS.org Regular

13. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

Spent the day searching for the OS7 today in Shinjuku and Shibuya (Tokyo)
    ...I was almost sure to find it in Guitar Land KEY in Shibuya but they will arrive next week, and of course I won't be in Japan by then :(

I had a very little little taste of the Mansoor specced Washberg and it felt nothing short of amazing.
    If a SSO forumer sees or knows of an OS7 in Tokyo please post or send me a PM ASAP. I'm seriously GASSING for the OS7 but don't want the EMG version.

I will be out of Japan Saturday, but my Strandberg search just started, hopefully Ola will release the European version with Laces and the nicer case ;)

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

While it doesn't help you on the nicer Strandberg case, you CAN still get the standard OS7 model available and convert it to passives if you have someone add a ground wire for you (or do it yourself if you're so inclined, it was a bit of a PITA IMHO so I was happy I had my tech do the work on both. :lol:). The pickup routes will still be the same so the only thing that is different is the gig bag. :2c:

15. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

Thanks, could see me doing that, but I still hope to find a Japanese OS7 in ochanumizu tomorrow :D :D ...then will wait for OS European version (April May so it's almost here)...and as last chance I'll buy the active OS7 or better yet a used washberg if a killer deal comes this way ;)

16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Unless they're not advertising online, I think most dealers sold out of the Japanese run of OS 7 models, that's why I was suggesting that option.

17. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Thinking about purchasing a Strandberg OS7 soon. I was just wondering, how long does that Zero Fret last before it needs changing, and does Strandberg sell spares? And is it glued to the fretboard, or is it as easy to change as on a Vigier for example?

I'd want to be able to change it myself and not have to rely on a tech to do it.

This is the only "deal breaker" for me so far, so hoping for positive answers. :)

18. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

+1 to that, I'm also curious about it. From the information I gathered the wear on the 0 fret really depends on the string break angle between the 0 fret and the nut. The nut should be very slightly lower than the 0 fret because then there is no real pressure put by the string to the fret. I've read about the CARVIN headless where the problems occured with standard strings (clamped behind the nut) but there were no problems with excessive wear when using double ball end strings (they mount further away from the nut making the break angle less drastic). If the 0 fret on Strandbergs is indeed just a light press fit then replacement shouldn't be an issue.

19. Zinter

Zinter Canuck Guitar Tech

I'm not sure if it's glued in as I haven't tried to remove mine. It had scratches from the factory so I recrowned mine when I got it. It hasn't aged since early feb. In regards to what Cubix was saying, they come with nuts that more help with the spacing and stop them from bending too far, but there isn't much contact. I replaced mine with a nut that has the strings resting on it, you often see the Washburn ones with that. Probably helps with the life like he said.

Given that they sent out an entire new bridge assembly to asher you're probably in good hands if you asked.

20. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

I sent Strandberg a mail asking about this very question I posted here a couple posts up, and got a response just hours later from Ola himself! :)

Here's what he had to say about it:

I then responded:

And his response: