Strandberg Boden in Japan!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rockstarazuri, Nov 24, 2014.

1. rockstarazuri

rockstarazuri SS.org Regular

So, I just got back form Music Fest 2014 in Tokyo, and there's good news.

Strandberg Boden 7s are going to be on sale in Japan by the end of this year. Official news, I heard it from Shun Nokina and the staff there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brand new Boden OS line for the Japanese market, launched at Music Fair Japan 2014. Specs are:
    - Solid Flame Maple top
    - Chambered Swamp Ash Body
    - Birdseye Maple Neck with Walnut & Carbon Fiber laminates
    - Birdseye Maple or Rosewood fretboard
    - 26.25" - 25.5" scale
    - Stainless Steel frets
    - 20" fretboard radius
    - EndurNeck profile
    - Lace Aluma X-Bar pickups
    - 3-position blade switch
    - Master Volume
    - Master Tone
    - Weight: approximately 2 kg

No corners have been cut in providing a more affordable .strandberg* guitar - they have 100% of the original playability and sound. Final pricing is yet to be determined, but aimed at ¥1,985,000 + tax <-- official statement

(Typo on the price, its 198500yen which is roughly $1680)

It's supposedly made by one of ESP/Schecter factory in Asia, presumably Korea, but when I tested it it felt nothing like a Schecter guitar in terms of quality. More like a high end Ibanez Prestige and Mayones to me (having owned both, of course). Maybe even better quality than those.

And THE PRICE. Super stoked!!

PS 6 string version might be on sale around March, according to the staff.

Santuzzo, MJS, Forkface and 12 others like this.
  2. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Was just about to post this. Super excited for a more affordable Boden!

3. timbucktu123

timbucktu123 SS.org Regular

is it coming to the usa?. importing from japan honestly isnt that much of a hassle so i could get one either way

4. LIPCoelhoq

LIPCoelhoq SS.org Regular

could i get one, living in the EU?

5. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Now THIS is interesting.... :D IF that factory can get the QC issues sorted out the Washbodens seem to be suffering from as of late, that's a smoking price for a guitar I'd love to try out finally! :hbang:

6. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Do want...

7. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I want one so badly right now

8. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

Hopefully an 8 will be available sometime, but I might get that 7 regardless...

DAYUM strandbergs are cool!

9. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Interesting but I wouldn't pay close to two thousand USD for a Korean Made Guitar.

At first I was very surprised/excited seeing this but then I started getting confused since the specs seem to be relatively similar to what Washburn offers. This seemed to kill the incentive to order a USA made one since this is half the price, but I'd rather not get a guitar with cut corners just to get my hands on the design.

They're saying that no corners were cut, but I'd have to see them first hand to believe that honestly. That being said Korea has been putting out some pretty solid work recently, but I still wouldn't be paying that much money for a guitar made in the same place as the LTD's and Schecters for >= $1000.

10. asher

asher So Did We

LACE pickups and the Strandy hardware aren't cheap.

See also Ibanez Premiums.

11. SavM

SavM SS.org Regular

This is great news! If the quality is up there with the LTD deluxe models or even slightly better that would be amazing. The tops don't look too bad either, time to get these bad boys into more hands it seems. I do wonder what will happen with the Washburn line though.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Between the price of a new Dingwall Combustion and the Strandberg hardware, I don't think these are too badly priced.

13. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I'm talking more about the cost to the consumer, if someone in the US wants in on this you'd be spending (Tax + Shipping + Customs/Duties). That brings it over 2k.

I've owned two Ibanez Premiums and they were fantastic guitars, I'm not saying Korea wouldn't put out a quality Boden but until they're offered worldwide spending 2k+ on a Korean guitar doesn't seem ideal. If they bring that to other countries and avoid the cost of importing and shipping that would be awesome.

I would rather save up an extra thousand and go Washberg at the the price after imports and everything. But that's just me. It's wonderful for the Japanese Market to get these at 198500 Yen though.

14. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    If I can find a way to get one in America, I'll be getting one asap. Unless I just get a promotion first hahaha

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

If Ikebe or Ishibashi are carrying these (which is likely since it was the Gakki festival these were announced at) you're high on the price... you don't pay tax when buying a Japanese guitar and you normally don't pay import duties from either of those companies so you're just looking at shipping. Also take into account that the price is probably including the Japanese use tax that you don't pay if you're a buyer outside Japan. So you're looking at more like ~$1550 plus shipping. Not a bad deal at all.

Might not be good for the guys that are flipping Washbergs at a premium though...

HighGain510 likes this.
  16. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

A friend showed me this pic he took. He said it's easy to play and cheap price wise. $1700 isn't too bad for the specs.

17. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Figured it was only a matter of time. I will be anxiously awaiting the first NGD, hopefully the quality is up to expectations.

18. SevenStringJones

SevenStringJones Oh Billy

After shipping, upgrades, and PayPal fees the washburns are easily approaching double the price of one of the OS models. Plus with the subpar tops and other flaws of recent, these Korean ones are starting to appeal to me. Of course I'm going to wait and see just what kind of quality they are but they're much more appealing than a washburn at this point. Especially since I can get a seven that DOESNT have a maple fingerboard.

Off topic, have you decided your black water specs yet?

19. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

At the Washberg prices I've been hesitant to order one given that I've never tried a headless/fanned fret/endurneck guitar. If the prices end up being reasonable and no glaring short comings. They've definitely got my attention

20. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Big* appetite for affordable Bodens, maybe they will take notice? I could not afford a $3 one but a $1500 dollar model? I would be all over that.

*big in a subjective sense.