Strandberg 2017 lineup

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by sixesandsevens, Jan 17, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

I've voiced my complaints about the 2 OS8s I've gotten (which mostly come down to aesthetic issues and comfort issues like strap pin placement- which is horrible imo, but easily rectified).
    My experiences is as such:
    -1st OS8- Really lackluster top, 808x pups didn't really sound good to me, strap pin placement digs into my chest, minor finish/fit issues near control cavity(stain run, and had small gap, wasn't exactly flush, not a big deal imo). Playability was great but the sound was lacking even when I switched to the 57/66 set imo. tuners were stiff but not a huge deal for me.
    -2nd OS8 LE -horribly lackluster top (it's basically what I would call scrap maple, it's not even worthy of being called a quilted top), strap pin placement still drives me crazy but otherwise no issues except the action being a tad high when I got it and some stiff tuners (not a big deal imo). Lace pickups are excellent imo and sound great with my setup.
    -I've also got a custom shop 8 that I've been modding and it has some aesthetic issues like knots in the swamp ash (not a big deal imo) and some nicks on the body (filled in but unsightly imo). Top was pretty boring until I threw some dye on it and made it really pop, but now it looks killer and sounds killer once I took out the EMG 81x/85x combo (instrumental sfty3-8 pickups in it now).

2. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Thanks guys for the detailed replies. You are both making me rethink buying an OS 7, mainly due to your tone critiques (ash wood - weak mids + pickups).

Ignoring the price for a second but restraining myself to production models, I'd really like to buy the Boden metal but the f-in non-SS frets are bugging the hell out of me.

3. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I really wish they hadn't shut down the washburn custom shop. My CL7 from the early builds is nearly flawless. I hate hearing about all of the QC issues from the production models.

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Note that my views on tonewoods are just mine, there are plenty of guitarists who like their ash bodied guitars so it's all preference.

I would not worry about the frets, if they are Jescar they are going to be pretty sturdy.

5. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

My Boden OS8L had loose materiel rattling around in the chambered cavity (not a big deal unless you twirl your guitar around a lot lol), and the ground wire wasn't connected at all.

Other than that, they paired the Lace Alumitones with 500k pots when they probably should have been 250k, and the 3 way switch isn't very good.

I like the woods used and the design as a whole though. I also like the Alumitones overall, but the springs that hold them up were loud as hell, so they got replaced with foam.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Is there not an option to add them, not ideal, but I'd imagine having a factory option would work for some.

7. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

For me it's more a issue with how they feel. My OS8L was the first guitar I had with SS frets and they feel so much smoother than my other guitar's frets. Most of my other guitars need a good fret polish in order for them to feel really smooth on bends.

8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Order from the Swedish custom shop??

9. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

Not sure what they were thinking...They are going to loose a ton of business to Kiesel. Or skip the headless and buy a suhr modern pro!

10. HungryGuitarStudent

On the other end of the price spectrum, there's the singularity. Since the end of 2016 they have it in solid black but they don't give any pics of it on the website. Has anybody seen it ?

11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I'm going to echo a few people thus far and say that the new Strandberg offerings don't interest me at all.

12. HungryGuitarStudent

In terms of playability, I don't expect much difference between the OS 7, Metal and Fusion models. Sure SS frets make a difference, but I don't expect it to be that much (although fret durability may be an issue for non-SS frets).

My main concern is tone. Since I can't try any of these guitars and demos are severely limited, I'd like to know what you guys think (i.e. people with actual experience with the Boden line).

For example, how would you qualify the difference in tone between chambered ashwood (OS 7), chambered basswood (Metal) and solid basswood (Singularity) ?

My main fear is having a sound that's way too bright or muddy that is difficult to adjust. I'm aiming to record mostly (metal) leads with my eventual purchase.

13. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

No basses yet?

Hmmm...

Ill be back next year.

14. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

In terms of tonewood, I'd qualify it unquantifiably, then quantify it unqualifiably.

The lack of try-before-you-buy options is a dealbreaker, in this respect. I recommend buying whatever model has pickups closest to your liking, with the expectation that you may return the guitar before getting to the point of replacing the pickups with something more dialed-in to your preferences.

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Ash: bright with scooped mids
    Basswood: pretty even with perhaps a little bit muted highs
    Chambered basswood: No experience but I would expect it to open up the mids a bit.

Basswood is soft and not visually good looking but it is not a bad tonewood by any means. There have been several boutique brands like Suhr who combine basswood with a maple top.

16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

And remember, laxu says that with enough certainty to reimburse you the full purchase price, should the guitar sound different.

Joking aside, I've wondered what the range of weight for the OS models are - A 5.8 lb Boden should resonate and sound subjectively different from a 5.0 lb one comprised of the same tree species, and I'd be surprised if the tolerances are tight-enough to keep ones over 6 lbs from leaving the factory.

17. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Yeah if you live in Europe it should be a no brainer. If you don't like the guitar or there is something wrong with it you can send it back within their return period. Strandberg customer service really seemed accommodating. :yesway:

18. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks for the advice guys. I talked a bit to Ed and finally opted for the "order, test and possibly return my purchase if I'm not happy with it" strategy. Now the waiting begins... or actually continues.

19. cslushy

cslushy SS.org Regular

Really happy to see the Plini sig back but $2500 for a Korean made guitar seems kind of ridiculous when you compare it to the prices of other guitars coming out of the same factory like PRS SEs.

20. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

I want to see proof of major quality fit & finish improvements from Strandberg this year before they get my business. They have quite a few models that are intriguing to me, but I keep seeing allegedly high-end stuff from them that looks like a kid's school desk up close. This holds especially for the Korean builds, but includes custom shop work. The prototype pix of the headless Mayones (with its given warts) are already ahead of Strandberg's 2016 work IMHO.