Stone Tone Sustain Blocks?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by BIGRIGG, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

stone.jpg [​IMG][​IMG]
    Stone Tone® Products – Stone Tone Products
    Hey everyone, just wondering if we have any users, experience or thoughts? Interesting concept with a few high profile and respected players like Jeff Loomis and Chris Poland as endorsees. I have installed brass blocks with a definite difference over the stock blocks and IMHO a better tone and sustain.
    I just don't see much feedback on forums and these are a few years old. Unfortunately (for the company and Rick) what I usually see is he's not well received as a "person" or his approach. I will say I emailed him about a week ago and have had no response. That drives me crazy with companies. WHY? do you have a website and offer NO service and then wonder where your sales are at? Anyways.....opinions etc on the stone tone block?
    Thanks for feedback.

2. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

Seems like an interesting idea. I'd definitely want to try it in person before dropping a hundred bucks on someone who won't answer emails.

3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I think the "great sustain and lighter than brass" is a good selling point, but then stuff like this (even if it might be true) sounds a bit nutty.

4. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

Metals also have a crystalline structure....

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

6. Pav

Pav ???

I was very, very interested in these a while back. Then I dug up some YouTube videos demonstrating what the stone block does to your tone and thought it sounded terrible. :lol:

7. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Here is something that concerns me (and this goes for all products with claims of aftermarket/retrofit improvements)....
    consider how EASY it is to make a basic, or if you wish a PRO video for your product to help prove your point and sell it on Youtube etc. Why the heck do you have no videos or just very poor one's which have massive complaints and criticisms you just seem to ignore??
    Again, not just Stone Tone, but many products. Business 101.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Because 99% of stuff like this is, for lack of a better more diplomatic term, is bullshit.

Plain and simple.

The 1% of tonal change when played through an amp in a room is not going to be discernible and even if it is there's a 50/50 chance folks will like the non-[insert voodoo product here] example.

It's easy to see a video and go "yeah, I don't notice anything, must be BS", but when things stay word-of-mouth you can build a reputation without needing to back anything up or put yourself in a position of being shown to be wrong.

Something to consider: some of the considered best tones out there, the ones that whole industries have been built around recreating (like EVH's famous "Brown Sound") have been done without little things like special alloy sustain blocks, titanium screws and bolts, advanced lightweight finishes, triple shielded cables, etc.

Then if you look at the "artist roster"m the hole goes deeper. A bunch of nobodies, sorry, it's true. Some guy who put it in a $200 guitar and thinks it's amazing. And two large artists who love endorsements. If Jeff really believed in this, don't you think his sigs would have them? Exactly. :lol:

I'm all for trying something different, and I do like the lightweight aspect, but the claims related to tone are awfully dubious, at best.

9. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Here is more food for thought....
    IF you believe that the actual Floyd Rose official company/site are legit or what have you....they sell the Stone Tone on their site. Other than buying direct, FR are the only distributor. Sole distribution for something that most likely has very small sales seems an unlikely reason to lose integrity.
    My long winded point being, it does seem to point towards a good product in my eyes with FR being on board and selling the Stone Tone.

Stone Tone likes this.
  10. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

Total snake oil, I'm sure. Plenty of bull.... stuff is sold in big name places.

11. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

"Stone Tone"," because you have to be stoned to hear the difference":lol:

12. Le Jeff

Le Jeff SS.org Regular

More pointless junk. :)

13. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Anyone interested in a genuine real unbiased demo and comparison with original FR sustain block VS Brass Big Block VS Stone Tone on a 7 string??
    I have all the tools :hbang:
    Any suggestions or comments?

Stone Tone likes this.
  14. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

It's just so hard to pick up the subtleties with these kind of things on demos.
    Most of the block shootouts are old strings w/stock block vs new strings w/ big block, so I usually attribute what little if any differences heard to the string change alone.

With that said, sure:yesway:, many of us on here love checking out any shootouts.

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

"Granite, when quarried in its natural state, is not only of an ideal density for the purpose of sustain, but also has a crystalline atomic structure which is ideal for sonic transference"
    Point one, granite is composed of grains of various materials. So it's not only pollycrystaline, it's also made up by grains of different materials. A block of pollycrystaline metal will have superior energy transfer properties, in our caste an acoustic wave traveling through it. What's even funnier is that he mentions in his site that it is made from volcano black absolute granite, so an even worse material in regards of crystal structure.

On the other hand the only positive aspect I can think of is that the specific structure is so unhomogeneous that it will defect the acoustic waves back to the strings with minimal absorption. I suspect that the second think will happen, absorption of the energy transmitted through the stone, due to the amount of imperfections but the only thought about deflection of the acoustic wave is due to the fact that there is no specific crystal structure to hlep the wave travel through the material.

Sorry for getting too technical but I can't stand pseudo scientific mambo jumbo!

16. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've played a couple with the big brass blocks.
    Sound wise, it's subjective, but I could hear a tad more presence.

You definitely "feel" it on the bridge and body when playing.

17. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

it's made out of the same material as the esoteric coffee mugs IIRC ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.