Stock k7 owners..need a few ?'s answered

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by turbo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

I have a 01 fb k7. when I bought it, it has the "stock" neck pup and an emg active bridge pup. problem is, there is nearly no distinction between the emg and the "stock" neck pups.
    the reason I say "stock" neck pup is because....i secretly suspect the stock neck and bridge pups were switched. meaning I think the bridge paf got moved to the neck position and then the emg was added/replaced the bridge paf.

its to my understanding that the guitar came with a 5 way switch. mine has a 3.

I HATE THIS GUITAR TO NO END DO TO THE LACK OF A NORMAL PICKUP NECK TONE !!!!!!!

so, does a truely loaded paf neck and bridge combo have a distinction between the 2 pups? my "stock" neck paf almost sounds hotter than the emg active pup.

I had a 7420 and loved the shit out of that thing.

im almost willing to trade my k7 for another 7420 at this point.

I could do a video, but would have to be multiples. because my tablet only lets me do about a minute for youtube.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Have you adjusted the pickup heights?
    Have you checked to see if it was wired properly?
    Have you checked the bottom of the pickup to see if it's the right model?
    Have you done anything? :lol:

3. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

yes

its kind of a mess....spose to be a 5 way toggle, I have a 3 way. I didnt wire the shit in, I bought it this way....and I fucking hate it. my rg220 has more tone than this turd.

nope.

yes....i play it for like 5 mins at a time, and then I plug in my rg220, because it has tone differences between pups..

seriously, if you cant help.....dont reply

4. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

whoa brother, that my dude:evil:

anyways. he was going through a list of possible problems with you. that is helping. i think theres something wired wrong. possibly out of phase? i dont know. anytime you wire an active and a passive you are asking for problems. how bout removing the emg and just wiring the paf straight? that should tell you if you like the paf. try it in both positions, see which you like the best.

5. MaxOfMetal

By mess do you mean it's wired wrong or just sloppy? Obviously it's been altered, so could you please bother to check and see if anything is amiss. Why haven't you checked the bottom of the pickup? It's super easy, you don't even have to take the strings off.

I am trying to help, but you seem dead set on not trying to help yourself. I don't have the guitar in front of me so I need some more info to help you.

I don't care if you don't like your K7, me asking these questions is helping. If you don't see that then it's a lost cause.

6. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

The PAF7 in the bridge and neck of a K7 are the exact same pickup. You could switch them and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you're really that concerned about someone switching them, check the wire length. The lead length on the bridge pickup for K7s is really long compared to the neck.

K7s came with 3 way switches stock, so no, nobody is trying to fuck with you by installing a 3 way. It would be kind of pointless anyway because unless you have a coil tappable EMG, it wouldn't work.

7. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

I understand......so second that, would a 5 way switch vs. the 3 way be a huge factor? this is my first guitar with actives,.....im not so impressed.

:wallbash:

and I know max from the ibby website/forum....im.there too. he was being a smartass and im in not in the mood. I have a buck-o-licious.guitar, that I think sucks because of the pup setup..... max rules on ibby, not so much here and now

8. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i have known max for 3 years now. he wasnt being a smart ass:cool:

i think you should just remove the active and wire in the paf. i dont think the difference in switch is a problem. i think its all in the wiring. either pup should sound better then your other guitar ;)

Stealthdjentstic and MaxOfMetal like this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

The number of positions on the switch doesn't matter, how it's wired up can potentially effect the sound though, especially if it's set out of phase or split. Though, if the output of the EMG is in question I'd take a look at how it's wired.

It's okay, I'm big enough to still help you. :lol:

Stealthdjentstic likes this.
  10. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

just the answer I was looking for !

im sorry for being an ass....but my g/f paid $600 for this thing, and I hate the neck tone.

I was given this long ass story about the guitar when we picked it up.....but the tone absolutely sucks ass. the neck pup in particular.

I havent touched it 4 months....and last night I did, then I was reminded....and then played my rg220.

11. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

its cool maing. just try and take your frustrations out on some strings and not my friends :)

the factory wiring is available on the ibanez site so you can just wire that shit proper ;)

12. Kwirk

Kwirk The Wrong Advices

$600 and you're complaining? I'll foking buy it from you for $600 right now.

13. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

cool...good to know....im SORROWreaper on ibby.

you can check my posts there, you know im not an asshole in general.

but my k7 sucks...tone wise.

im just frustrated with this thing.

if I get a 2 out of 3 pup setup, I will take it. I just want some tone differences.

14. turbo

turbo SS.org Regular

yes I am, especially when I prefer a rg220 over it.......at least the 220 can change tone.

I will check the wiring diagram and see whats up. but sadly, the brdge postion was modified to fit the emg. so I guess a ringed pup is in order.

damn it.

15. nunonaos

nunonaos Member

there is a passive and an active in the same guitar?
    probably the problem is that both pickups are sharing the same pots...

16. rekab

rekab SS.org Regular

I'll ask the obvious question I suppose..

Have you checked to make sure you even have a neck pickup wired in?
    If the guitar has an active bridge it's likely the person who did it wired all the spots on the switch to the one pickup considering an active and a passive together won't really work proper.

17. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

just take it to a tech and get it rewired and quit your bitching...

theres nothing wrong w/your K7 considering they are made of high quality mahogany (which is a wood that doesnt vary in quality that much anyways), so theres little to no chance its a dud... ibanez has high QC on MIJ guitars, but even moreso on the sig guitars...

your problem is a wiring issue of some sort... or even some thing as stupid as your pickup heights... due some reading about electronics before you start saying great guitars suck... maybe you just dont know what your doing...

not to mention, any guitar w/actives + passives are destined to have problems... you have to have separate volumes for each pup... a 25 K vol for the EMG and a 500 K for the PAF... this is most likely your issue...

so it has nothing to do you w/the bridge PAF in the neck... its the fact that you probably have an active + passive setup w/one tone and one volume... meaning your neck pup is using a 25 Kohm pot, when it requires a 500 Kohm...

if you have no idea what im talking about, take it to a tech

18. Seventary

Seventary Norwegian metalhead

Yup. :) :yesway:

19. Valserp

Valserp Only plays 1 string

:agreed:

20. sell2792

sell2792 SS.org Regular

Sounds like thats a wrap. Any decent tech can solve this, but honestly you should replace the EMG with another PAF as they sound alot better.