STL Tonehub

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ryanougrad, Mar 15, 2020.

1. ryanougrad

ryanougrad SS.org Regular

Anyone try it yet? Haven't seen a post about this.

2. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

Yeah wondering the same. I don't get how the plugin uses the axe and Kemper packs.

Like I'm guessing it doesn't contain any of the amp Sims of the axe so it just gets a tone that's somewhat close?

ryanougrad likes this.
  3. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

I’m curious as well. They did a horrible job marketing this. The only demo I’ve seen was Fluffs demo, which was awful (as usual from him).

Masoo2 and ryanougrad like this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

There's no demo until the introduction pricing ends sometime next month which is just beyond dumb. Its just relying on current Kemper pack buyers and amp sims users to buy and then market it which has failed entirely to kick off. They are raving about it on the STL facebook group though and there's been some good clips uploaded.

It's like the Kemper where its a modelled amp and then the "tone matches, profiles etc" are layered over it, then you can choose pedals before and effect after. There Axe-fx packs work by EQ matching over a suitable amp on the Axe-Fx. It's usually all in the impulses but the IR section in this has options to move the mix around. So its basically a Kemper plug-in since its just one amp but it looks to have much wider and less destructive EQ controls.

ryanougrad likes this.
  5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Oh boy, another plugin with tons of extra crap to buy. No thanks. This seems like Positive Grid pt. Deux.

Masoo2 and mikah912 like this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The released the demo for this after a bit of persuasion and keep the introduction pricing. If you don't iLok activation then getting it installed will annoy you but its easy enough to get through.

I wasn't digging the core pack it comes with so downloaded a trial of the Lasse Lammert pack. Straight away I'm getting some really good tones, better than what I have in my current projects anyway. It reminds me of the Kemper but with more tweak ability. I've only tested it briefly but it sounds like a winner.

ryanougrad likes this.
  7. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Well this sounds good, which is weird because I hated their previous plugins. Pricing is still something I don't like. But it's still too processed and polished like it's post produced, which is a matter of taste but an easy way to album like post processed tones. When just playing through a plugin I prefer more raw amp sound. What this manages to do somewhat well is that squishy real amp sagginess, but I still prefer how Neural DSP stuff feels under fingers.

Might be easiest to use solution for a good guitar tone I've seen, even when using iLok is always bit of a pain in the ass... Though Andy James pack sounded like garbage, while Lasse Lammert pack is awesome (he has really good ears!) Like Kemper it's all about how profile sounds as a source.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Plugins have gone from being a quick, cheap and simple answer to on the fly sounds at your PC so you dont need to setup all your actual amps/Gear.
    To a rat race of trying to cram in the most features and the most money as possible.

with every year that passes, i feel that plugins are losing sight of why they were created to begin with imo.

For the cost of all these plugins now, i would rather set up my actual rig and start recording.

I miss the old days with plugins where it was just a free amp sim and le pou cab loader

The market is getting to the point where real setups instead of using plugins is more desirable

Masoo2 and buriedoutback like this.
  9. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Wat? If you want to keep using old featureless stuff knock yourself out. I think plugins have gotten pretty amazing as an alternative to hardware. Helix Native, STL, Mercuriall, Neural, THU, all putting out amazing stuff. Zero need for dedicated hardware to get professional results. It’s f’n great. You’re lost.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Its just like my opinion man

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

A plugin being expensive and trying to do everything is stupid to me.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Just a guitar amp plugins, or all plugins? Some years ago a VSTi drum machine was really only good for demoing ideas or electronic releases, now with as good as some of these plugins sound they've eliminated the majority of a lot of recording budgets because you can track a full album of realistic drums with an e-kit in your apartment and they're full-featured to the point that they do internal surround mixing in some instances. I don't see any reason for people making the software to not try and get the most out of the format that they can. There will always be cheap/free miniature versions if you don't want to use them for full-on recordings. I'd much rather plug in my guitar, build a rig on-screen and get to tracking over finding a place to be loud, setting up an amp, cab, pedal/MFX, spend a couple hours mic'ing and checking mic placement before I even get to start tracking. Even if I did that I'd probably still be tracking a dry DI in case I wasn't 100% happy with the tone in the mix, so why mess around with all the external variables?

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thing is its led to an over saturated market of bands releasing home budget eps which sound rubbish.

Im in the same camp myself through lack of funds and the albums never come out as good as they would if we used real drums, real bass and real guitar amps

14. GunpointMetal

This has nothing to do with plugins, and everything to do with whoever is sitting behind the mixing monitors.

Again, the only thing keeping ITB results from being phenomenal is the person operating the hardware. A band that can't afford a good engineer, but tracks amps themselves with no knowledge is going to sound as bad as a band that used VSTs for everything. A live-recorded drum kit without a decent engineer setting up mics is going to sound exponentially worse than if that band had used Superior Drummer. Analog/Live =\= digital ITB. Ears and knowledge make recordings good.

mikah912 and Elric like this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

How has it got nothing to do with plugins?

If software and plugins didnt exist, everyone would only be able to get recordings done by going and paying a studio/engineer to record and mix the album

Rather than sitting in your room doing it.

Anyway half of this rant is likely self isolation attitude so ignore me

16. GunpointMetal

Those guys without money would still try to make recordings, instead of buying plugins and doing it themselves, they'd hire some dude from Craigslist with a Boss Digital studio and put out equally crappy recordings. I just don't think more tools with more options is ever a bad thing.

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Tried this again today and just with the presets I'm getting tones better than anything I've gotten before. I had the Lasse pack for my Kemper and found only 2-3 worked with my guitars and even then they fell apart once I adjusted anything but I'm finding 2/3 presets here work with my guitars and the controls are way less destructive. I've always said I'd love a Kemper plug-in and this is exactly what I meant.

18. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Speaking of STL Tones...

Has anyone seen this Andy James pedal by them yet?
    Looks cool.

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I have the Will Pitney suite and in nails the Diezel VH4 and Bogner Uberschall quite remarkably better than any of my prior Line 6 offerings, and the old block style 5150 is great too. I feel like the 5150 offered by STL and Neural in the Nolly suite are probably the best 5150 recreations to date. I might also add that both post amp ex’s on each of these are done very well, and very realistically with respect to how significant their adjustments can affect gain structure as well as tonal shaping.

I thought about getting the Revenant pedal, but then realized that my only use for it would be recording as I am still using the HD500X live until Neural releases the Cortex, so I opted to not increase my pedals, maybe save for a DI-2112 bass instead.

Masoo2 and ryanougrad like this.
  20. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Meant post amp eq’s