Still getting signal on independent volume

Waylong

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has been discussed before. I bought myself a Kramer Pacer Classic, one of the newest ones in Radio Blue. QC issues up the wazoo but, I digress. The issue is that when I only have one pickup or the other selected, I'll turn the volume for that pickup down, and unless BOTH volume controls are turned down, I'm still getting signal bleeding through. Any insight as to what would cause this? Maybe shoddy pots, bad grounding?

dtrax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Likely the pots. If you measure your run of the mill Alpha pots set to minimum, they still read a few ohms. That isn't a big deal when the pot value is 250K or 500K, but I'm guessing they're shitty pots and have possibly a 100ohms or more. Desolder them and measure to be sure.

Waylong

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Likely the pots. If you measure your run of the mill Alpha pots set to minimum, they still read a few ohms. That isn't a big deal when the pot value is 250K or 500K, but I'm guessing they're shitty pots and have possibly a 100ohms or more. Desolder them and measure to be sure.
Good call. The wiring seems kinda shoddy and noisy in general. I don't know if there's actually any shielding in the cavity, I haven't opened it up yet. I will check em to be sure. Thanks.

Swarth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's unfortunately always going to be there if you have independent volumes. Especially with a lot of gain and hot pickups there is always going to be a little bit of signal bleed. I have a few guitars that have independent volume controls and they all have signal bleed.

Waylong

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's unfortunately always going to be there if you have independent volumes. Especially with a lot of gain and hot pickups there is always going to be a little bit of signal bleed. I have a few guitars that have independent volume controls and they all have signal bleed.
I used to have an Epiphone 1958 Explorer in ebony and I never had this issue, before OR after switching to EMGs.