still cant get tone :(

Rob Joyner

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
People stop with this hunting for the holy grail tone. Most guitarists use the same combo of pu+boost+amp+cab that pretty much anyone has access to.
Really, it's not rocket science. Stop watching youtube vids about gear. Those are full of gear snobs like Ola that thinks nothing is good enough.

AXE fx II is more than enough.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the tone. You need to practice more. It doesn’t even sound like you’ve fully learned the song. Focus on making every single note you play hit with the same intensity.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
People stop with this hunting for the holy grail tone. Most guitarists use the same combo of pu+boost+amp+cab that pretty much anyone has access to.
Really, it's not rocket science. Stop watching youtube vids about gear. Those are full of gear snobs like Ola that thinks nothing is good enough.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard “gear snob” and “Ola” used in the same sentence. :lol:

guitaardvark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I always thought that Ola was the anti-snob. Will It Chug shows him having a ton of fun with gear that snobs would laugh at.

You know how sad I got after buying to Alexi's but having the regular EMG HZ and Blackouts with the preamp booster lmao
Don't worry about pickups at the moment. Once you have a good tone dialed in on the Axe Fx, pickups will make maybe a ~5% difference, especially if you have something that's very close already. I think the more important factors are:

1) The demo you're comparing it to is much louder (arguably too loud since it sounds like it's clipping), and it's double tracked. We perceive things to sound "better" at higher volume, and double tracking guitars will also make tones sound bigger and fuller.

2) Technique. Like a lot of people are saying, load up a patch with a modded Marshall (Alexi used the JCM 800 and Kerry King models, if I remember correctly), which will get you close, and make sure your riffs are tight. On recordings, Alexi picked very consistently, muted any extra string noise, and was usually right on the click. Your technique, where you pick the string, what angle you pick at, and how hard you pick are all important parts of the tone, and it's very difficult to alter or mask that no matter what rig you're playing through.

Last edited: