Sticky/Grippy picks?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bobo, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

I'm on the quest for better pick grip. Many of the picks I've tried have a very smooth surface, they sometimes slip out of my hand during hard playing. Some of the picks with built in grip (like textured surfaces) end up scraping against the strings.

I also like thin picks, and smaller picks. The size doesn't matter much though as I can cut them down. So anyone got suggestions for a decent grippy material? Or maybe pick hacks?

I may try a thumb pick at some point, have no idea how that'll feel.

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Personally, I've been using "Brain" picks for close to 10 years now. The 'texture' part is pretty much only where the thumb & finger should be, so scratching against the strings shouldn't be a problem.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Anything with a “carbon fiber” style crosshatch pattern. Dunlop makes a decent one in black and another in a transparent red-ish material.

4. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Dava jazz grips?
    [​IMG]

lewis and Deadpool_25 like this.
  5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The yellow ultex picks from Dunlop are very grippy imo

6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I’ve taken a knife in the past and just scored some crisscrossed lines in them and that’s done the trick.

7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah like Jax said, I played the Clayton acetals for years and would just cut a three line cross pattern into them with an xacto knife and that helped a lot.
    But- if you want something right out of the box, check out the Fountainhead signature picks from Winspear. They're exactly what you're asking for and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Plus, Tom posts on the forums here, so you get the added bonus of supporting a board member ;)

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

buy whatever picks you like and put grip tape (stuff they use for tops of skateboards) on it. super gluing really coarse sandpaper also works.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Tortex has always been grippy enough for me, plus I like the way if sounds better than everything else I've tried. You might go a step further and score the face of each pick with a razor blade or X-Acto knife.

I've tried those Dava Jazz picks and various Brain, hole-punched, and textured picks, but they actually throw me off a bit. The Carbon Fiber Jazz III Max Grip picks were the best out of the textured picks I tried. I just prefer normal-sized picks overall, specifically the .88mm Tortex Sharp

WarMachine likes this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

I would say this is the fastest solution for a better grip, but not necessarily the most functional for your needs.

^^^^ ALL THIS!!

I've done this in the past and that's what I'd do if the first option didn't work. This works wonders. One may think that "shit, sand paper will erode my fingers and shit...". NOT HAPPENING.

The feeling is that the picking hand will become WAY MORE RELAXED because it won't have to do much strength to hold the pick, the pick will hold itself and won'r slip. And you don't have to apply the sand paper/grip Tape over all the pick's surface, just where your finger go. It's really a fantastic solution that I've played with for several years.

Though high tech picks are cool and everything, anyone can make his/hers own picks with durable materials found anywhere (recycling and up-cycling are concepts in vogue nowadays) for a fraction of the price and have them work wonders for one's own playing style. Think Brian May, he plays with a coin...

I used to glue 2 picks together to have a thicker and harder one (I couldn't find thicker picks back then), cut down to a more friendly size and glue some grip tape excess from my sk8boarding days. Fantastic picks!...

11. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

I always burn holes or X's in my Jazz III's with a soldering iron for grip, works very well, been doing that for years.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

Yeah I started doing it because standard red nylon jazz IIIs would slide out of my hand during long play sessions. grip tape works stupidly well.

odibrom likes this.
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Try Dragonsheart picks!

14. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Ibanez has the wizard grip series which are sanded.

15. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

I like some of the Japanese picks that have a grip tape like coating on them. My current favorite picks are the G-Life picks (bottom) that have a gripping coating while being thin. The Lovebites Miyako signature Dean picks are also similar although a tad thicker. The ESP Ultem picks are close. The lettering is actually a grip coating.

[​IMG]

16. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

These look good but 9 bucks for 6 picks that will get dull and lost quickly?

17. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I am pretty happy with my own custom line:
    [​IMG]

https://scrollkeeper.bandcamp.com/merch/gravity-official-alex-k-scrollkeeper-guitar-picks

Before these I used Star Picks - couldn't figure out what they did with the brand, every once in a while it'll be Everly, at other times "Star Picks"...go figure, but never dropped them. You can also puncture any normal Delrin pick in the same manner.

[​IMG]

The Kirk Hammet sig. jazz picks (small) also have decent grip due to the KH sig and logo on the other side.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  18. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

So many options, thanks! Now it's experiment time :)

Hopefully the pick quest isn't as long a journey as the tone quest...

19. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Also wont be expensive as a tone quest. But it will be as expensive as a string quest lmao

Ribboz, Mathemagician and Bobo like this.
  20. odibrom

odibrom .

@Bobo ... don't... fool... yourself... :lol:

Bobo and MetalHex like this.