Sticking it to Japanese ebay resellers?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by narad, Apr 19, 2021.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I'm sure if any of you guys have searched for some cool gear on ebay, and were unwise enough to be open to international listings, you've come across the absolute inundation of the same guitars listed by sometimes dozens of different guys. Of course not one of those guys legitimately has the instrument, but is just running a script to turn JP store listings into ebay listings.

There was a time when this was legitimately kind of helpful -- meestursparkle was a godsend -- but in 2021, no one should be falling victim to these guys stupid upcharges of 25-50% per instrument. And frankly I'm also tired of spending forever to sort through ebay listings.

Which raises the question -- can anything be done? I think in theory it's in violation of ebay terms, but I contacted them several years ago about this hoping that commonsense would dictate that guitars cannot be in a superposition and therefore cannot be simultaneously owned by a dozen people.

So probably nothing can be done, but here's the thing: I just bought a guitar locally, it should be dropped off on Wednesday. Currently there's about 10 resellers on ebay listing it who cannot deliver that instrument to you if you buy it. Is there any way we can exploit this? If you know the money will be refunded to you, is there any way you can net a small profit? Just kind of brainstorming.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Meestursparkle was the best!

And in the words of Anthony Hopkins from Legends of the Fall... "Fuck 'em".

c7spheres likes this.
  3. Choop

Choop n______n

It is strange that Ebay hasn't done anything about this kind of thing, it seems extremely obvious. I don't think there is anything to be done really though -- they are gaming the system using Ebay's relatively hands-off buyer refund process as a safety net. Also I wouldn't want to encourage anything that could be considered fraud, even if it is reverse fraud-fraud lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I've been looking at a couple of the new traditional mij jaguars and noticed a couple weeks ago that they're the same guitars over different listings/sellers. The only thing I decided it's that I'm not going to buy a guitar off eBay any time soon.

5. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

It's sad to see so many old ESP's with rusty screws. :(

nikt and Choop like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

It hurts my soul every time I get a notification about an esp custom RS on ebay, and it's the same guitar posted by 15 different sellers. Also fuck those people that try to sell beat up edwards for triple what they're worth.
    That kind of crap is exactly why ebay has basically fallen to the wayside for me.

Dumple Stilzkin and c7spheres like this.
  7. narad

I had the thought that I could start a listing on mercari or rakuten and put some text in white that might say something bad that would violate the ebay terms and conditions, and it'd be auto-translated and put into reseller listings when they sweeped through it. But alas, looking at more resellers, most don't even include any item details. I guess that makes sense since Google or DeepL API calls could get expensive when you're spamming literally 10,000 ads.

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- It's against Ebay rules but the problem is Ebay doesn't care and won't do anything about it. I've addressed it with them several times and they've never got back and nothing ever happens to the listings.

- I wanted to recently report the robot selling the $1200 Intellifex because it was duplcated a few times with same picts and different sellers and prices. Maybe something was done with that because now only the $1200 one is there.

- I normally don't report stuff but they've been falsely raising prices for years now. It pisses me off that Every time I want something there's some bogus shit there raising prices on stuff I wanna buy (sometimes double or triple what it should be)

- There's also that rga427z up there right now listed 4 or 5 times at all different prices.

- The only positive thing is if you're selling something they're helping you get more cash, potentially.

You could always post an image of text and put a public message in there. That way the system just sees it as a pict rather than text. Once the public sees the message they will report these listings if they feel the need to and once they realize how they're products market is being manipulated causing them to pay more.

- I think the reason they get away with it is because it seems most of them are "sponsored" listings which it will say "sponsored" in the link after doing a search. - By doing it this way they don't violate duplicate listing policy and can justify the higher prices. What points to it being a robot is the fact some of the sponsored listings are actually lower in price than the non sponsored listings which makes no sense.

- I gave up on Ebay long ago as a seller and try to avoid them as a buyer too. Ebay just went to garbage and I'm surprised it's still around with all the other game in town. I only deal with them when I have to.

aesthyrian and I play music like this.
  9. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I was just bitching about this very thing today. Such a bummer to see the same thing listed a billions times at different prices

10. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

I would use the ultimate Japanese weapon: shaming...but you've got to be pretty shameless to do what they do to the extent that they do....so I suggest the second ultimate Japanese weapon: Kancho.

11. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

You should just pick out a guitar and get a group together to buy the rest of them. Actually, every time someone here wants to buy a guitar from a Japanese seller, they should post a thread here and then a bunch of us should buy up all the other listings of the same guitar. Over and over again.

12. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

Around here, that’s called a “Black Friday Sale.”

13. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I bought an Alexi Scythe (Edwards) on eBay here in Japan, from a Japanese vendor--paid in full, never got tracking and when I inquired, he said that he "broke my leg and was in the hospital--I just got home and hurt my leg and dropped the guitar and it broke, I'm sorry. Do you want a refund?" annnnnnnnnnnnnd it took 2 weeks and an eBay complaint to get my refund back. Smh. What it could be too are people find these guitars in the local Hard-Offs, mark them up, "try" to grab them for you and make a profit in the process.

aesthyrian and Wildebeest like this.
  14. narad

Yea, I see guys trying that, but at least Hard-Off watermarks it. I saw one that was interesting that was an ebay listing automatically generated from a mercari listing which looked like a manually relisting from a Hand-off with the watermark cropped most of the way out lol

feilong29 likes this.
  15. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Good idea to put up a (fake) listing (under fake account) with one image saying "if you see this on ebay, the seller is a scammer and stole my photos, report him"
    Would of course not help for manual relisting

c7spheres likes this.
  16. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD !!!!
    I always wondered what was going on with all those 'Japan' listings...and PRICES?!?!?

While we're bitching...:blahblah:

REVERB.COM
    Why the hell can't I load more than a 40 (10 rows of 4 images) listings at a time?
    AND!... why the hell do I have to see the same half dozen or so listings from the previous page I just looked at?

Millul likes this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

They think you can be Jedi mind tricked into buying stuff.

18. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

eBay only cares about if its a counterfeit item.

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I thought I read somewhere that there are a lot of people who photograph guitars in shops, then post them on their own pages at inflated prices. Is that true, or are these people just copy/pasting listings?

20. narad

Maybe in the 90s, but it's clearly an automated operation these days

spudmunkey likes this.