Steve Vai supports Frank Zappa hologram nonsense

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Sep 27, 2017.

1. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

I'm sure Steve is just trying to honour Zappa without buying into all the behind-the-scenes bickering (and for the record, I think Ahmet can suck a fat one in this regard).
    I saw Ahmet and Dweezils band "Z" i live many many years ago, they slayed and it's real shame what's happened since then. Here's a taste

Oh damn, I just noticed that's Mike Keneally playing the strat.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Overtone and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Mines not even as philosophical as that, or whatever. Mine is based on a severe dislike of how much nostalgia and the past play a part in music. Rock has become completely uncool as a result of relying so much on reunions, nostalgia, and shit of that sort.

Excuse me, but I'd like bands to please move the fuck on and get out of the way, and I'd also like modern bands to stop ripping off old bands. Greta Van Fleet -- this means you. No one needs a modern bootleg Led Zeppelin. Why? Because if we want Led Zeppelin, we can get the originals on CD and DVD. Since 95-96 when Black Sabbath and KISS reunited, rock and metal have been nostalgia central, and to people that don't particularly listen to rock and metal as far as the scene is concerned see an old folks home. They don't see a scene that is trying to get new bands started and having difficulty with it, with some decent groups if you look. They see a bunch of uncool, unhip old farts trying to hang onto their past glory days when they need sent to the glue factory like a prize race horse that's broken it's leg.

So, on the one hand, we have a bunch of old bands trying to hang on, new bands trying to mimic these groups in a cheap attempt to get fans and keep the record labels attention, and on the other hand, we have bands trying to do new things, but resulting in stuff that's not really all that appealing. ie, djent, death/metalcore, and modern stuff like that. It doesn't appeal to most people.

One last thing: I respect NO ONE's sentiment to support Ahmet. Fuck that. No passes for that shit. What he and Diva have tried to do to Dweezil is absolutely ridiculous. What the fuck sort of talents does Ahmet have? Any? Because Dweezil has been active musically for quite a while, even before the Zappa Does Zappa stuff. From what little I know, Dweezil and Ahmet had some show on MTV, and other than that, Ahmet has been pretty much doing nothing so far as I can gather.

"I don’t think it’s fair to say that since Vai won’t be affected by one less fan that speaking for what one believes in is worthless."

I found that pretty distasteful, but whatever.

MickD7 likes this.
  3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I sometimes wonder if all this could have been avoided by allowing Ahmet to direct his Fraggle Rock movie.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you don't like it, vote with your wallet.

All this "rock will be dead in 20 years!" is the same stuff the industry spewed when MP3's came out and people started downloading. In a sense they were right, and in another they were incredibly wrong.

Reluctancy to chang with the times usually means getting left behind. See: music industry.

Let's also remember that for some people, these musicians being revived via hologram is going to be the highlight of their entire life since they never got to see the artist or band live. I find it interesting that people think their belief that things should die with the singer (in essence) should trump someone else's happiness.

couverdure likes this.
  5. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Everything that's been mentioned aside, I find Zappa to be an odd one to hologram. His shows were all based on spontaneity and improv within a very tight band situation. So, with a wave or gesture from Frank, the band would change the track to have a bossa feel, or a hard rock feel or something similar. Also, within his autobiography, he mentions that his favourite musicians are ones that would listen to his solos and adapt their feel go along with him. My dad saw him live a few times and said the way the band was able to adapt on the spot and change the feel of the songs was amazing, and was different every time.

So basically, these holograms are essentially just gonna drop a giant slimy stool all over the way Frank himself intended his music to be performed.

Yeah, I'm a fan :D

6. odibrom

odibrom .

On this hollow thing, I can understand how a hologram may look like, but making it a show... Is it going to be a CGI thing where someone manipulates Frank's movements or is it going to be a recreation of one (or more) of his shows? In the first possibility, who is doing the playing/composition of the music and Frank's holo moves? In the second possibility, will it be a recorded musical expression of Frank? What's the difference between that and a tape/youtube of the show, viewed at home with our stereo and large screen TV, the "live" feel? His DEAD!... there will be no "live" feel. It's like going to the cinema, every thing is in the PAST, there is no "NOW" as with a LIVE show, which is what I think most people go for.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I get the point but as soon as a band gets 15 years old or so and plays only 2 new tracks (that they won't play anymore when a new cd will be out) of their new album on 15 of teh 3 first albums it gets also nostalgic.//Ac/DC, metallica, megadeth...all live on nostalgia. Or they should play different tunes at each tour. that's why I've stopped seeing Met, ac/dc etc...I've seen them a lot when i wa young but now, i have no interest in seeing them anymore to hear the 891th version of thunderstruck or highway to hell.
    Still I don' t blame bands like Sabbath, or gun's n roses. I wouldn't go but forpeople who have wanted to see them live and ner could have (time, age whatever) if they still do the trick on stage why not. You do'nt have to be a purist of you wanna hear some old songs played by hlf a band but some people resume easily a band to the 2 most known faces so...
    That 3D holographic stuff i'm just curious about is for the technical stuff behind it, but if people find good to see someone they've never seen why not...Not worst that Hendrix releasing a new cd every year because his family has mortgage to pay
    Maybe people find old stuff finally more interesting that new bands too, who as you say is just ripping off old established band....
    Hard to innove, even in other disciplines than music....
    just my 2 cts too.

odibrom and setsuna7 like this.
  8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Huge Zappa fan. No interest in any of this hologram nonsense and Vai should reconsider being involved. #TeamDweezil

JSanta, fps, AxeHappy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Rock is already dead; it's music that will be dead in twenty years if this shit is given a space to grow and take over. I want nothing to do with holograms of any sort, and if that is "changing with the times," then people are dumber than I gave them credit for. Why would you want to watch a pre-recorded hologram with absolutely zero spontaneity?

I'm a big fan of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana. I wasn't even 7 when he died. I have ZERO interest in seeing a fake Kurt Cobain, someone I know would find this idea fucking revolting. Fuck someone else's happiness. Integrity matters more. If you want to see someone like Kurt Cobain live, go watch the live videos.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Kurt is another odd one to hologram.

11. Spaced Out Ace

This is bigger than Zappa. I have zero interest in this with any artist. They're fucking dead. Leave them there. It's beyond time for rock and metal to MOVE THE FUCK ON. Get over the past, put the old folks away at some home, and lets progress, shall we? I mean, bands like Greta Van Fleet are coming out, totally aping Led Zeppelin's sound, and people think that shit is "EXCITING" because a bunch of 19 year olds are basically playing in an LZ tribute band with original music? Christ, what a bore.

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  12. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I don't get the hologram thing. If it's not live, you might as well sit at home and watch a concert DVD. Or you could like, ya know, go see a local band and expand your horizons a bit.

AxeHappy, Hollowway and odibrom like this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

Apparently people would like to make believe they are still 20 by going to see old acts do their same old thing for the 15th time.

14. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

For all we know, this is Vai's way of not taking sides. Even though I think he has a very good reason to take Dweezil's side, I'm not going to question why he might feel that he has to be "neutral."

shadowlife likes this.
  15. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

As much as I don't particularly care for the whole hologram thing, I would probably scream in agony if I saw a hologram of John Bonham playing with Led Zeppelin.

16. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

The post you quoted, or the guy that said Steve Vai will be fine without you as a fan? As I read it, Holloway was supporting your opinion having value, despite you just being one person out of a large fanbase.

17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

When I die, I want an AI of myself to be left on this board.

18. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

And here I was thinking we might finally catch a break around here... :fawk:

:wubbed:

tedtan and bostjan like this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Holloway was referring to a post by another user. My response to that part of Holloway's post was replying to that other users comment.

:rofl:

20. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I mean, out of any musician who would support it, Steve Vai would definitely be the one. I don't think he's doing it out of disrespect to the Zappa clan, just because he thinks it's a cool concept. It's basically just one step above him being the narrator to Devin Townsends Retinal Circus.

He really should consider pulling out of it though, I only got into Zappa recently and I love seeing how Dweezil is keeping Franks music alive but if Dweezil isn't going to touch the hologram crap with a 6 foot pole then what business does Vai have being involved with it? It's probably just going to be a cash grab for Dweezils less musically inclined siblings.