sterling petrucci trem material

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by teamSKDM, Oct 7, 2020.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

hey guys ive been looking for an answer to this and cant find any official documentation on the matter. does anyone know what the sterling petrucci trems are made from? are they 100 percent steel , or maybe they have a steel base and zinc alloy saddles? or is the entire tremolo zinc alloy and not able to retrofit other replacement steel trems?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What would the material have to do with swapping the bridge?

I doubt they're hardened steel, they just seem too light. At least the 2016/2017 one I held in my hand.

Though there are a lot of steel alloys. My guess is zinc, but I wasn't ready to saw the thing in half to check.

The bridge is cheap feeling, pot metal screws, tool marks, mediocre plating, etc. You usually don't see that on heavy steel pieces.

The Sterlings are just dog shit. I don't say that a lot about new guitars. They're right up there with the Schecter SVSS as far as truly poorly made, as cheap as you can get manufacturing. At some point you'll have spent enough polishing the turd to get an actually good guitar at first.

Not recommended.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Folded over kitchen aluminum.

Wildebeest and StevenC like this.
  4. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

well if at *least* the base was hardened steel it wouldnt need an entire bridge swap. at least on useless zinc floyd roses you can swap them out for the real deal. sucks that with these petrucci sterlings youre stuck with no other trem besides the shitty stock ones which if the entire tremolo is pot metal / zinc alloy its basically useless. and if the guitar is stuck with it now the guitar is useless. unless you want a hardtail jp. just saw the newest sterlings and thought the specs were good but couldnt find official documentation on the tremolo material to get my final verdict.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, the bridge is sort of shitty, but it'll still hold tune fine when setup properly...if the route is done right, which isn't a guarantee on these. :lol: