Sterling JP70 thoughts and opinions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by andybobandyy, Oct 17, 2016.

1. andybobandyy

andybobandyy SS.org Regular

I'm really considering purchasing this as my next bae. I can't decide if its worth the money though. I'd love some thoughts and or opinions about this beast or if anyone has any great alternatives for a little cheaper.:hbang:

2. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

3. andybobandyy

I'm gonna check them out! I heard agile makes some badass beasts. I totally forgot about them so I'm gonna look at your suggestions. Honestly the reason I love it is the 25.5 scale and I have short fat fingers so anything that helps with that is going to be great.

4. endmysuffering

Indeed it is stressful on your fingers to swap scale lengths, especially if they're short. I love my 827 but up until recently when sso helped me solve my hand pain I was getting a ton of it.

5. andybobandyy

What is different about the 827 that makes it easier to play?

6. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

$650 for basic specs, mediocre quality, and awful pickups? No thanks.

7. andybobandyy

Whats a better option in that price range or less in your opinion? :hbang:

8. endmysuffering

[SC][/SC]
    It's harder to play for me, I don't take too kindly to flat necks. But now I'm getting used to it.

9. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

New - probably agile
    Used - rg1527, miles better in every way

10. endmysuffering

11. endmysuffering

What I could reccommend is just saving. You already have a perfectly functional 7, guitar lust gets us all but you could save up for an ibanez prestige or a majesty 7.

12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Have you look at the PRS SE Custom 7? It's 25" scale so it should be good for smaller hands. I'm getting mine this week so i could tell you what i think of it :)

13. endmysuffering

I don't know about prs, I never hear anyone talking about them playing well, I only hear about how good the look.

14. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

When the stealths were $500, they were worth it. At $650, I'd look at a used Ibanez :p

15. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

If you feel the need to get a sterling JP7, make sure you buy used, and you should definitely try before you buy. I know a lot of people that are very happy with theirs, but I also know a lot of people (myself included) that feel they aren't anywhere near their new price. Decent guits, but very basic. Mine in particular was pretty dull sounding.

16. andybobandyy

Well my problem is I have a RG7421 and when I got it I fell in love but i'm extremely disappointed in the build quality. I've had it for about a year and i've had to fix multiple things on it and it just seems like a cheap ass guitar for $400.00. I know I bought it, but I didnt think it would feel so cheap. It really turned me off from ibanez. Maybe I should hit up guitar center and play on some prestige series and see how it feels. :hbang:

17. andybobandyy

I saw one one zzounds.com and i fell in love! I just dont know .... about prs and it having a 7th string. That thing looks beautiful but a buddy of mine has a 1600 PRS and it plays really nice and all but not worth 1600 what so ever. Please let me know how that thing is because i've been looking at it for a while. :hbang:

18. andybobandyy

I've heard alot about Agile. They look pretty sick but how is the build quality? Is it really nice and not cheap feeling? I've heard mixed reviews on those things. :hbang:

19. endmysuffering

Not cheap feeling to me, hell it plays almost as good my 828 plays just as good as my nj warlock. I'm not a fan of lundgrens nor the cepheus, but it's too expensive to replace the pickups.

20. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

That's cause RG7421 is a cheap guitar haha, you can't expect it to be awesome, any Indo guitar is going to have quality issues, even the premiums. You really should save up and get a RG752 or any used Prestige if you want an Ibanez. I have two RG752's, I just gave one a fret sand and polish last night and holy crap does the thing play like butter and feel awesome, best bang for buck guitar around imo.

From my experience buy once and buy right, buying cheap guitars here and there is ok but if your looking for a keeper you can't go past MIJ Ibanez or USA built stuff, you just gotta pay for it.

Nothing really wrong with the Sterling stuff though, its just expensive for what it is considering other options available, I had a early JP50 once and by time you mod it and fix things , it cost more then a used proper MM JP. So really by time you upgrade bits on the JP70 it'll probably be closer to a $1000 guitar anyway.