Sterling JP-70 vs Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27FE vs Jackson SLATTXMGQ3

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Kyrrdis, Jul 30, 2014.

Which geetar?

1. Sterling JP-70

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Ibanez

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Jackson

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Kyrrdis

Kyrrdis Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums, previously only lurked the threads. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new 7 string guitar, but sadly I do not have the luxury of trying out the guitars I'm interested in. Alas, I have come to the sanctuary of 7 string guitars to ask for your feedback on said instruments!

Currently, I am torn between the 3 guitars shown in the tittle. :wallbash:

Sterling JP-70:
    Sterling by Music Man 7-String Electric Guitar Trans Purple Burst | Musician's Friend

Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27FE:
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27FE 7-String Electric Guitar with EMG Pickups Black | Musician's Friend

Jackson SLATTXMGQ3:
    Jackson SLATTXMGQ3-7 String Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

To clear up, I'm not asking for a "depends on the type of bridge you want" or "passive vs active" debate. While the most important thing to me would be the bridge being fixed, I have no issues with the Sterling because I will mod it with a Tremol-No. I believe the EMG pick-ups would suit my playing style just fine and would probably switch out the pups on the Sterling eventually.

What I'm really looking for is how do these guitars compete quality wise, and which one is generally the best bang for the buck. I was a bit concerned over the Ibanez because I've read the fretwork is bad and they have sharp edges, but also the nitro wizard neck sounds like it's amazing. I've read the JP-70 has tuning stability issues, but I guess that will get sorted out if I just block the trem. The Jackson-- I've heard nothing about the Jackson, no good reviews on it. SO YEAH! What do you guys think I should get?

I'M OPEN TO OTHER GUITAR SUGGESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME PRICE RANGES:hbang::hbang:.

2. schecter_c7

schecter_c7 SS.org Regular

I voted for the jackson because it seems to be the best by far out of the choices especially since you want a fixed bridge and emgs. You should probably just disregard the jp-70 since it might be in the price range but to get it how you'd want you're looking at an additional $150. You should also consider ltds, great quality guitars in this price range, and have the features you want. Consider these models too:

ESP LTD MH-417 7-String Electric Guitar Black Satin | Musician's Friend

ESP LTD EC-407 7-String Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

ESP LTD H-1007 7-String Electric Guitar See-Thru Black | Musician's Friend

3. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

In addition to LTDs you also might wanna check out Schecters, they have some great 7s, several of them with Hipshot bridge & thinner profile necks. The Banshee 7 should be very close to your range, has compound radius, Hioshot bridge, offered w/ active or passive models.

IMHO, I think you should try the slightly longer scale 26.5" or 27" as I honestly feel they are superior to the 25.5" in tone and feel, ymmv.

4. Kyrrdis

Kyrrdis Member

I was taking the LTD's into account too, the MH-407 looks amazing. I'm really trying to stay away from satin finishes though.

The Schecter Banshee passive has everything I'd want from a 7 stringer! (hipshot and the SD Nazgul/Sentient combo) but my god, I can't stand Schecter bolt on neck heels :eek: the body joint looks flush (like ibanez) but the neck not so much.

Either way, those were great suggestions, thanks! The Banshee would be my number one pick if the heel wasn't so blocky tbh

5. ThatCanadianGuy

ThatCanadianGuy Where am I? D:

Jackson JS32-7. Feels a lot better than you'd think a $400 seven would.

6. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

I have a JP70, and I think it has far, far exceeded my expectations in every way. Keep in mind I am not generally a basswood fan, but this guitar simply is put together like a guitar costing twice as much or more.

I don't make the above statement lightly. For reference: my other sevens are a Carvin DC727, an Ibanez S5427, & an Ibanez RGA7, but I have also owned the Ibanez RGD7421, Jackson JS22-7, Ibanez RG1527, Ibanez SIR27FD, Schecter Blackjack C7, Schecter Custom C7, Ibanez RG7421XL and others.

7. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

The Banshee's neck heel doesn't look any bigger than an Ibanez RG's!

[​IMG]

There's another model from Schecter called the Stealth, which has a set neck, Hipshot bridge and Super Rock humbuckers, which I've heard lots of good things about. It's around the same price as the other guitars you're looking at.

2014 : Stealth C-7

Not so keen on the satin black personally, but might be worth a look.

I've always thought the Dean Custom 750 looks nice too.

Dean Custom 750 7-String Electric Guitar Classic Black | Musician's Friend

EDIT: Oh I see what you mean about the Banshee, the neck itself has a heel.

8. Kyrrdis

Kyrrdis Member

I'm so glad you bring that up, the JP-70 looks like it has some good quality work put into it. Hearing it from a someone that has owned so many high end guitars just solidifies the deal. The only thing putting me off is the fact that the trem is a non locking floating trem so it's prone to detuning from dives (which I personally don't do much of at all) and bends (I do a lot of those :rolleyes:). I've never locked a trem as I only own one trem equipped guitar, an Ibanez S570B, and the ZR bridge on that thing is like butter. I'd assume that installing a Tremol-No should pretty much get rid of any trem detuning issues though, am I correct? or in any case wedging some wooden blocks in there.

9. 82DMC12

82DMC12 SS.org Regular

I have a JP70. As far tuning stability, I do not have the trem arm on because I never use it. I do, however, use vibrato, bends, etc and there are no stability problems at all. Rock solid guitar.

Get it from Sweetwater, probably same price as MF but they do a really good in house setup. I've barely had to adjust mine at all. Had it for about 8 months now, no regrets.

10. Suho

Suho Guitar Guardian Contributor

I am in the same boat. I don't use the trem arm or trem really, but I do bend etc. And the tuning stability is excellent. I'm sure a tremol-no would only solidify that. I can't recommend it enough now that I have one.

Also, the nut is just slightly wider on the JP70, too (50mm).

11. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

I'd probably go with the JP70. They do seem like great guitars for the money. I have an actual EBMM JPXI-7 and I don't think the bridge on the Sterling is quite the same, but even the AMAZING bridge on the EBMM will have some tuning stability issues if it's not maintained and setup correctly. I don't know what type of nut is on the Sterling, but if you upgrade the nut, that will go a long way in every sense, especially tuning stability. You also need a nut cut suitably for your string gauge and the bridge needs to be setup for that gauge as well. But even my EBMM, which has a very good nut, is setup well, etc, will have trouble with tuning if you don't maintain a little nut-sauce on the nut. It's just the nature of a non-locking floating trem. They sound great and are convenient, but they won't hold tuning unless the strings are able to slide in the nut correctly. My two main guitars, my JPXI-7 and Suhr Custom Modern both have floating non-locking trems and I do plenty of trem work. Not many crazy full-on dives, as you really need a floyd for that, but for some mild dives and fluttering vibrato, etc, they are perfectly amazing as long as I make sure to apply a TINY bit of nut-sauce into a well-cut, well-made nut. So if the nut isn't GraphTech or bone or something comparable, then replace it with a good one, and use a little nut sauce. There's nothing else to keep that guitar from holding tune amazingly.

I would also take a look at Chapman guitars. I've never played one, but have gotten the impression that they're some of the best guitars you can get in the price range.

12. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I did not vote, since I never played the Jackson,
    I did shortly try the Ibanez Iron Label and I do own the JP70.
    If I had to choose out of those two I'd go for the JP70 all day long :yesway:
    If the trem is set up properly you will get surprisingly solid tuning stability. I lubed the nut slots and the bridge saddles on mine and it keeps the tuning very well!

13. Kyrrdis

Kyrrdis Member

I think you guys have done a great job making me drool over that JP-70 :lol:
    I believe I have decided on the JP-70, will be ordering within the next week, hopefully I can post my NGD sooner than later :hbang:

Thanks for the help everyone :yesway:

14. Tzar27

Tzar27 Well-Known Member

I used to own that exact same Ibanez (RGIR27FE). It was a solid guitar, but it had some issues. I, for one, did not care for the EMG pickups, and the soapbar routings made changing them a little tricky, and often more expensive. The killswitch felt useless, especially since it was a toggle and not spring... Stupid idea, really, it was like a mute button :lol:

It probably could've taken a beating, so I had no worries about it lasting a long time, but I ended up selling it to a friend of mine not long after I bought it because I couldn't stand how rough the fret edges were. Now, I'm not going to say that's a problem with all Iron Labels, but I've heard from others that their RGIRs had similar rough frets and have experienced them on plenty of other lower-end Ibanez guitars. So keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, I played a JP70 in a GC for a bit and, besides looking a bit odd, it was an excellent guitar. Really wish I'd picked that up instead... A green one would've been neat-o. Definitely less of a refined appearance, though. The rosewood on the fretboard was kind of a muddy gray color, the maple used in the neck wasn't very appealing to my eyes, the hardware was a little lackluster, etc. But that thing could play, and sounded pretty damn good, even with the stock pickups.

Not a lot of experience with Jackson, so I can't comment there, but I def. voted for the Sterling :yesway:

15. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

You still can't do massive tuning changes with a tremol-no without having to do fiddle with the claw springs. Those 2 small locking screws on the tremol-no can only handle so much before the difference in tension make them unstable.

For a sub $700 guitar, the JP70 has a great neck & decent stock pickups. Enjoy!

16. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Haven't tried the JP70, but between the Iron Label and the Jackson I'd grab the Jackson all day. Between the half dozen or so SLATX 7s I've played and the three or four Iron Labels, the Jacksons all felt significantly higher quality.

I'll second the above poster on the ESP LTD MH-417, though.

17. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I voted for the JP-70
    It's the guitar that has a better value for price

18. ambler3

ambler3 SS.org Regular

If your looking at the jackson, i'd personally go for this: Jackson Pro DKA7 Dinky SW - Thomann UK

I'm fed up of TOMs myself, and also this seems to already have decent specs and pups (Once you change that killswitch for an actual toggled one)

19. jbailes

jbailes Well-Known Member

Another jp70 supporter here. Very satisfied with mine. Great tone and playability and no tuning problems.