Sterling Guitars - Good or meh?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Zwag, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Zwag

Zwag Level 1 Gear Slut

I have been looking at a sterling JP100, and thinking of modifying that. I was thinking of putting Bareknuckle pickups in it, and eventually putting an Evertune bridge on it and using it as a sort of studio guitar. Does anyone have any advice about this guitar, or similar guitars, or any ideas on what might be better? Thanks!

2. IbbyAddict

IbbyAddict SS.org Regular

IMO the one i tried was meh, you should just try and find one and have a ganda, maybe the one i had was a meh lemon. You can do a lot better for your money in my honest opinion.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

good bang for the buck imo. But I have only play them at the store, you might need a better input from someone who owns one.

Try to avoid the ones that comes with the dimarzio pups, so you can save some cash if you are gonna swap the pups. Or if you really like a color that comes with the dimarzios, try to sell them first to see if you have an interest before spending the money.

For the evertune, its not a direct swap. You would have to take the guitar to someone who can do the procedure, as it would take extra routing both at the top of the guitar and on the back. I would advice for you to research that first, if can be done at your local luthier and for how much. You might be better off buying an evertune equiped guitar from the start, specially if you are keen to swap the pups either way

4. Ord92

Ord92 Well-Known Member

I have a sterling Axis 40 and I love it to bits, neck feels great and plays amazing for the price i paid (Picked it up second hand for £390)

I cannot fault the build or playability of it.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Meh IMO

There are other options in that price range that will smoke those guitars.

6. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

The fancier tops are not great bargains. I'd save up and be patient for a used unloaded JP6. Won't be a hell of a lot more, but will be miles above in terms of quality.

7. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

You might be better off getting a Washburn or an ESP since some models already come with the Evertune bridge.

Sterling are okay guitars, but a little pricey for what they are. Getting a used Ibanez Prestige, based on what you seem to need, might be a better value.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Every time I've ever played one (that's two times, folks) I thought it was the worst guitar in the shop. TBH it has kinda painted my feelings about EBMM since I actually haven't ever played one of those. But frankly I just see a guitar that looks like that and automatically think "oh, those suck." and keep moving. Which from what I understand is not correct at all. Let's just chock it up me being dumb (and not particularly liking JP or EVH). But the moral of the story is that I've played at least two that were made entirely out of garbage

9. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

When petrucci is pocketing a chunk of cash on a cheapish guitar you know it can't be that good. You're gonna spend over 1k on that combo, you can get a used j custom or music man for that much.

10. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Had a Sterling JP50 a few years back. Looks great but was meh when played. Also whammy bar fell off and had a problem with the tuners.

11. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

I myself considered selling the EBMM JP7 and getting a SbMM 70, maybe 170SD instead. Why: 1) I feel like the JP7 is a way overpriced guitar (and I own one), and 2) I've owned LAKLAND imports that are built in the same facility that the EbMMs are and they kick a random US Fender or MM that you see in a shop out of its boots. One important note though: they are inspected, worked on, wired and fret leveled with a PLEK machine in their Chicago boutique shop, AND they are equipped with expensive US-made pickups and preamp (except for the cheapest entry models) and decent Hipshot Licensed hardware. A common conclusion about them is: you can feel, but you can't hear the difference between the two series.

I also had a LAKLAND import that came from the same Indo plant and the Chicagoans did some aftermarket magik to it to my taste: it was a killer instrument, but I didn't have much use for it (their another stock model still does it all for me).

Summing it up, I thought I'd get some lumberwork from a trusted source and then send it to LAKLAND Basses to make a great working instrument of it.

However, the only stock SbMM JP 100 (larger BFR-like body and maple quilt) I played so far was a meh guitar to start with. It couldn't hold the tuning (but a set of Jin Ho brand locking tuners designed after the authentic JP's Schaller M6 costs like a hamburger, or even less). It also broke 3 strings on the saddle while it was in the shop; don't ask me why they didn't take care of it, but they didn't, only changed the strings. The trem is nowhere close to the authentic EBMM trem (although I am not fond of the latter either) and I don't have a clue who makes the OEM part or what a direct replacement of this witty piece would be. It also sounded dullish and darker than the DiMarzios.
    A sidenote: I thought the DiMarzio would be the first thing I'd install so I don't quite get why people advise to avoid them.

I then asked here the SS.org board and the common BTL was it isn't worth the fuzz. I might still pull on this if I find one dirt cheap, because of the further boutique builder's price tag on all the work done and the indefiniteness of the probable result. But it is currently out of my to-do list, let away the GAS list.