Stephen King recommendation?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by frogman81, Jul 2, 2018.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I was more referring to the final showdown as opposed to the ending ending :lol: Also it's been a while but from what I recall you could have probably cut 50% of the last 3 books or so and the story wouldn't have suffered.

Also an editor should have bitch-slapped King for putting himself into the books, that was just lame.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

Agree to disagree on that - I think he and Vonnegutt are the only two authors who've ever done that who actually pulled it off, and a lot of the reason for that is King paints himself as kind of a bumbling, alcoholic, idiot, in an extremely unflattering picture.

I think we just like REALLY different things in a book. :lol:

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

I can't really add much to this thread that hasn't already been gone over, but it has inspired me to give the uncut version of "The Stand" another go after not reading it for quite awhile, and to change my user title to reflect it. :lol:

4. milofarid

milofarid Scavenger !

5. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I recommend reading "Blaze". It's a bit different, but still 100% King stuff. Talisman and Black house are great books too, I love them both, even if they're completely different kinds of animals. Talisman is more fantasy oriented adventure stuff and black house is more dark and violent...

The girl who loved Tom Gordon is great too, it was my favorite when I was a kid. There's a ton of great books from King and his son (Joe hill) seems to have the same talent as his father.

I haven't read the newest collaboration with his other son Owen King, which is Sleeping Beauties, but I have high hopes for it too.

6. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

As the OP I was surprised to see some postings still going in here. Credit to Wankerness for actually reading the full question (most didn’t it seems, but that’s ok) and giving a detailed answer. Nothing against Stephen King but I think the answer is that if I’m after “high brow horror” I should look elsewhere.

7. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular