Step sideways from Carvin

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Quitty, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Back in the day i nailed a DC727 off of ebay for a good price.
    I love the Carvin, but am thinking of trying something else. Part of it is sensible, part of it is pure curiosity, either way i'm looking for something comparable, quality wise, for a similar price.

Schecter has some awesomely specced guitars, but it seems Carvin would be the logical step up from a Schecter, not the other way around.
    Ditto for LTD?
    I'm drooling all over the PRS SE-7, but again, i'm not sure the quality would be comparable.

What can i try?
    Up-stepping from a Carvin should be easy, but up-stepping from a second hand Carvin...

Any ideas?

EDIT: pickups are a non-issue. I've got aftermarkets installed in the Carvin and will probably have aftermarkets in whatever else i buy.

2. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I have a DC800 (see pic in signature) and I've gotta tell you the LTD KS 7 I just picked up has insanely good quality. Is it as good as my Carvin? no, but is it damn close and at nearly half of what I paid for the Carvin? yes lol.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Used or new doesn’t really change the quality, unless the previous owner really screwed it up.

If you want something different, but with the same or better quality look into ESP (not LTD), Ibanez Prestige or J.Custom, or even an EBMM. It would be much easier to recommend something if you could explain why you're not jiving with the Carvin.

4. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

A Banshee, KM 7 or Cu 24 7 are worth a shot IMO

5. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

They indeed don't, but they do change the pricing. Nothing loses value quite like a second hand Carvin, for some reason, so while the price bracket for a new Carvin has many interesting options (EBMM and ESP), the price bracket for a used one is around 800$, leaving me with the cheaper Schecters.
    Or am i missing something?

My particular Carvin has a finished neck, which is a bummer. Control layout also needs work, wood combo is less than stellar with my favorite pickups and i wouldn't mind paying a little extra and expanding into 8-string territory.
    Mainly, i want to see what else is out there. If i could find an identically specced guitar with comparable quality for the price, i'd go for it.

6. MaxOfMetal

Have you considered getting a different used Carvin?

Point Blank: Nothing new is going to touch the quality of Carvin at that price. Some may get close if it's the best example that left the factory that day, but even then, that's nothing to count on.

Used Ibanez Prestige and J.Custom would be the way to go unless you find a used ESP kicking around.

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Carvin's do take a huge hit on the used market. If I were you and wanted to look at another 7 string, I would buy a used Ibanez RG7620. With new pickups and a good setup, it can keep up with any solid body 7 string electric guitar be it production, custom, or otherwise.

If I were you and wanted to look at an 8 string, I would buy a used (or new if there are some NOS still available) Ibanez RG2228. It will be a little outside your budget ($800 correct?) but you can get close and maybe work out a deal.

I'm holding an EBMM JPX7right now, so as much as I like Ibanez, I do not believe they are the only game in town. But if you are interested in 7 and 8 string guitars it would be foolish not to check them out...thoroughly. :cool:

8. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

I'm a bit confused. If you dislike the finished neck, control layout and wood combo, why would you be ok with spending money on a guitar with the same specs from another manufacturer? You'll just have another guitar on your hands that will leave you with the same feeling.

If you have the money for it, I'd sell your Carvin and use that money to buy a new one, spec'd out the way you want it.

9. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

A different Carvin is an option. Need to start fishing :)

Had an Ibby 1527 a little while back. Didn't really jive with it - seemed to sound very Ibanez-ish, even after a pup-swap to Duncans or BKPs, and it always bothered me. Maybe i was just imagining.

Because i think the difference between models and companies amounts to more than just a spec. sheet - otherwise, a JS Ibby would sound just like a Les Paul, which i think it doesn't. See my above response to Max - my 1527 always sounded like an Ibby.

I'm curious. Haven't had many higher-end guitars and i'd have liked to know what else is out there.

It seems i should be on the lookout for ESP or other Carvins.
    What about Jackson, by the way? How would the newer ones hold up?

Thanks, guys!

10. MaxOfMetal

Maybe you don't like basswood or bolt-ons or both.

There are plenty of Ibanez models that sound nothing like RG1527s.

Brand means nothing, it's all in construction and in the end how that relates to how comfortable you are playing something.

I hate to say it, but tone is in the fingers above all. Now, where the guitar comes in, how comfortable your fingers are with it, matters.

When it comes to Jackson, most of the 7s they've ever made have either been super high end ($$$$) custom pieces or ultra low end. As far as the newer ones, stay FAR away from the cheap ones, they're shitty. I tried to like them, as I dig Jackson (Still miss my SLAT3-7 dearly!), but they leave so much to be desired.

I hear the new MIM ones aren't bad, though haven't seen one in person.

11. Bilbone Shaggins

Bilbone Shaggins Burglar 4 S8N

Would you remind us again what your favourite combo is?