Steinberger GM Thread!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by CrossingTheEventHorizon, Apr 12, 2011.

1. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Probably not. I also purchased it used like 2 years ago so I wasn't the original owner. Just ended up with a really helpful guy answering the phone when I called. He had to get the parts directly from the factory and he said that generally you had to purchase the screws as a set. All the times I had tried getting a hold of them in the past fell on deaf ears; I was quite shocked that everything went so smoothly.

Okay, maybe not a baseball bat, but it is a bit thicker than my Schecter which others generally regard as a baseball bat. It's thick enough that it makes reaching my thumb over a little bit more awkward. The paint is my biggest problem overall though. I figure I'll just order a new neck that way I can get it spec'd exactly the way I want. I'll probably get the upper frets scalloped and get offset inlays to make it feel worth the hassle.

2. sonicwarrior

sonicwarrior SS.org Regular

I doubt you are adding value when adding a second neck specific customized specially for you.

Never tried to sell one of my guitars with sanded neck but many people prefer a neck that feels faster so my guess is that it doesn't mean much loss. At least not more than a second full customized neck.

I also don't think the neck is very thick. I would see it in the midrange.

Would only replace it by a full graphite neck myself.

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That's exactly what I'm doing. Gonna get the Moses Carbon Graphite neck. Base cost is only $356, not too terrible.

4. dankingjr

dankingjr New Member

I know I am resurrecting an older post on this thread, but I figured everyone should be armed with solid information regarding this guitar. I worked for the company for several years in Marketing/Operations during Gibson's ownership and was there for the introduction of this particular GM. This is indeed a REAL Steinberger GM7SA from the factory. It has not been stripped or re-finished at all. I actually own one myself (even though I did indeed build mine for myself). I will try to put up some pictures of mine when I get some time.

I do not remember the specific details as to why they were built this way (I am pretty sure it was a limited run for Musician's Friend) but we did wrestle with the fact that they could not have a logo put on them with the oil finish. I know for a fact there were less than 40 or so made, and there might even be less than 20. Just to validate my story, Debbie Orsland was the Operations Manager at the time, and David Butler had recently been let go as GM of Steinberger/Tobias.

Whatever the reason for building them, it should be noted that this is a GENUINE Steinberger GM7SA and should be considered as such when taking into account value of the guitar.

By the way, these oil-finished guitars sound fantastic, which is why I own one. I have had several Steiny's including a GM7TA in a custom Turquise color, and a Tobacco Sunburst GM7TA, and the oil finish rules them all.

Enjoy your guitar and rest easy knowing it is indeed a genuine, from-the-factory Steinberger.

5. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Ha… nice to meet you here as well, thanks for the confirmation, but that reminds me of some open questions I've asked you after our conversation on TGP… about a year ago ;)

The guitar has been listed in my serial list as genuine since it was posted here.

Yes, please, let your pictures come, I'd love to see some more beauties :)

Bernd

6. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

I just got new double ball strings for my GR-4 and I have the adapter for normal strings, which are what I've been using now. I've been using 10-46 strings because that's what came with it and are the heaviest I could use without getting a heavier trem spring. Well I'm having issues with the double ball strings pulling the trem up past the locked position when I wasn't having that issue before. Can anyone shed some light on this?

7. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Have you adjusted the spring tension with the big knob under the tuning knobs?

8. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Yeah and it didn't seem to help. It's pulling up past the locked lever too. I'm using daddarios. Has anyone had issues with them?

9. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

I've found D'Addarios to be very consistent :shrug:

If you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest locking the bridge, re-tuning, then unlocking and adjusting the spring tension again.

If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is that you need stiffer springs.

10. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Good advice, it's the only valid and recommended procedure anyway :)

If it doesn't work, there are actually three ways that could solve it, as long as the trem itself isn't damaged:

- stronger/stiffer spring, as you recommend
    - longer spring
    - longer screw

Even surprising for me: I've seen R-Trems with at least three different lengths of the tension adjuster screw. Only explanation is handling different tensions of standard string sets.

Bernd

11. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice! I'll try those things when I can. I don't use trems very much and it didn't come with trem anyways. It's just strange that the single ball daddarios worked fine but these are giving me issues...

12. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

How can a GR-4 not come with a trem? This is the guitar the R-Trem was developed for?

13. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

I'm guessing he meant to add "bar" in there.

14. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

I'm sorry about that. I did mean the trem bar and I haven't gotten to re adjust everything yet.

15. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Alright guys, my sort of stupid question.

Any idea where I could find a GU-7R Custom (the Spirit model with the flame top)? I've been hunting around for one. The one that Wings of Obsidian had (and sold apparently) was spectacular! I really wish I could find one.

I just don't have the funds for one of the legit "big boy" USA Steinbergers yet.

16. yingmin

Keep your eye on eBay and GC's used site.

17. yingmin

Haha, funny story about that. I saw a GM7TA pop up on GC used for $3000, but no picture. I checked back a few days in a row, and still nothing. Today, the picture is up, and the first thing I noticed about it was the headstock.

18. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Yes, everything is wrong with that description. It's not a "GM" but a "GS", it's not a "T" but a "Z", and from what I see it's not possible to verify the "A" ;)

19. yingmin

Very slightly off-topic, there's also what appears to be a Newburgh XM2 fretless for $1500. I don't need another bass, but it just keeps taunting me.

20. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

Look what just appeared… :)